Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grandparents in distress - Isofix

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have a Cybex Pallas 2 car seat,& I have been trying for some time to get it to mate up with the Isofix mounts. When pushed through the bench seat both fitting are about an inch below the Isofix bar & the one nearest the kitchen seems a fairlty tight fit to miss other bits of the VW bench seat. I have tried both the left & right Isofix positions. I have tried the suggestion on the forum of moving the bench forward & slightly reclining it, but still no joy. I have to pick the family from the airport later this week, so would welcome any suggestions or help.

Another suggestion.

Have you removed the bedding and the bed-board? That way you can access the Isofix loops from behind with the seat slightly reclined. Someone can then help you guide the Isofix locks onto the loops

Recently I used this method and got one in but failed to get the other locked. My daughter helped from the back and said I was about 2.5cm low (an inch to you and me!) and a bit of joint jiggling and squeezing the upholstery from both sides of the seat got it located and locked.

Admittedly not easy and is something we are going to need to do more often when grandchild No. 4 arrives, due any day now.

Alan

Thanks for the response, had one more go. Levered the seat fitting up, one at a time , with a large screwdriver whilst in the boot. My wife then pushed the appropriate side of the child's seat back until it clicked into position. The next problem will be will it come out!!!!

I spent a very long excruciating hour trying to fix two car seats. Lots of expletives and frustration. In the end pulled bench seat forward and reclined it. Absolutely did not work in seated position. Getting out easy part. Doesn’t encourage me to use van for car seats.

I have also found that returning the seat to the fully upright position put the child seat backs almost vertical.

I now lock the back a couple of notches off vertical, which look more comfortable for the grand kids to me. More likely to drop off to sleep!

Alan

I found that it got easier over time as the foam bits of the seat back compress a bit with use and the more I fitted them the quicker it became. 15 mins+ and near tears to begin with, now I can fit 2 in a couple of mins. It's worth persevering.

I find Maxi Cosi RodiFix easy to fit: nice long arms to grab the fixing points.
I'm assuming these people with difficulties have the 2 seater bench, as I've found the 3 seater bench incredibly easy to fit Isofix seats to

I'm assuming these people with difficulties have the 2 seater bench, as I've found the 3 seater bench incredibly easy to fit Isofix seats to
Yes, this is a SE/Ocean problem as far as I can tell. The upholstery is not cut round the Isofix loop as it is in our old Golf and the Saab, nor is the position labeled.

So you spend time fishing with your finger between the back and seat to find them and then working the seat against the tight upholstery to lock onto them. The loops can be accessed from behind the seat, but that means emptying the boot to do so.

I don't understand why the upholstery didn't have the cutouts included that most other vehicles have. When the seat becomes a bed, those small cut outs would hardly be noticed by the recumbent sleeper as they would align with their thigh or knee. Most of us use a topper of some sort or the top bed, so probably not a problem to anyone.

Basically a bit of bad design work by Hanover.

Alan

Yes, this is a SE/Ocean problem as far as I can tell. The upholstery is not cut round the Isofix loop as it is in our old Golf and the Saab, nor is the position labeled.

So you spend time fishing with your finger between the back and seat to find them and then working the seat against the tight upholstery to lock onto them. The loops can be accessed from behind the seat, but that means emptying the boot to do so.

I don't understand why the upholstery didn't have the cutouts included that most other vehicles have. When the seat becomes a bed, those small cut outs would hardly be noticed by the recumbent sleeper as they would align with their thigh or knee. Most of us use a topper of some sort or the top bed, so probably not a problem to anyone.

Basically a bit of bad design work by Hanover.

Alan
Latest version of the Ocean does have cut outs to ease access to ISOFIX locations.

We have two cybex Pallas seats so I can sympathise with you. With time it does get easier & we can now get both in within a couple of minutes. Once you get used to the positions of the isofix it’s a case of apply downwards pressure to the cybex isofix bar nearest the child seat whilst pulling upwards at the back with your fingers underneath to locate the office fixings if that makes sense

We have two cybex Pallas seats so I can sympathise with you. With time it does get easier & we can now get both in within a couple of minutes. Once you get used to the positions of the isofix it’s a case of apply downwards pressure to the cybex isofix bar nearest the child seat whilst pulling upwards at the back with your fingers underneath to locate the office fixings if that makes sense
It doesn't help that the loops are located right behind the seam on the upholstery where the material changes pattern on the T5. Helpful for location, but not for fitting.

Alan

You can get little yellow guides that click onto the isofix points and made it easier.

You can get little yellow guides that click onto the isofix points and made it easier.
Thanks Emma, I didn't know those existed. Will get a pair.

Alan

Do you have to remove them when you make the bed...???

Do you have to remove them when you make the bed...???
I can't see why you need to.

If you sleep head to tailgate, that area of the bed is around your knees so little weight will be applied to the bed. If you use a topper as we do then they are under that.

Alan

I can't see why you need to.

If you sleep head to tailgate, that area of the bed is around your knees so little weight will be applied to the bed. If you use a topper as we do then they are under that.

Alan

Yeah agree.
Just wondered if folding the chair flat into a bed would cause an issue...?

I have tried the Britax ones before and they were no use on the 2 seater bench. It is completely different to the beach seat, there is nothing to support these little guides when you try to attach them as the fixing points are in mid-air at the rear of the seat so they just fall off. Extra long ones may work if they were available.

Yeah agree.
Just wondered if folding the chair flat into a bed would cause an issue...?

I have the 3 seat bench and use guides (3 seat way easier than 2 seat) but they just pop out when you flatten seat to bed. Which is probably how I lost one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the T6 Ocean 2018 with a Maxi-Cosi Rodifix seat for my daughter, is the easiest install I've ever had. Just clicks in, no issues or "guiding" the ISOFIX rods in there.

That includes:
  • Volvo V50 2008
  • VW Tiguan 2011
  • VW Passat 2013
  • Lexus GS300h 2015
2BmsLlRl.jpg

The 3 seater on my Beach was no problem.
Easy peasy.

But the 2 seater on the Ocean is difficult. It’s like some have mentioned, VW should have made a cut out as the fabric is really tight to the ISO bars.

First issue I’ve had with ISOFIX across different vehicles.
So definitely a problem with the 2 seat Cali chair.

I tried fitting a couple of times to fit our Rodifix and have had no joy what so ever.

I may have to have another attempt....i think part of my problem is other than rooting around with my finger i cant physically see the isofix point so not sure what i'm trying to connect to.

In the T6 Ocean 2018 with a Maxi-Cosi Rodifix seat for my daughter, is the easiest install I've ever had. Just clicks in, no issues or "guiding" the ISOFIX rods in there.

That includes:
  • Volvo V50 2008
  • VW Tiguan 2011
  • VW Passat 2013
  • Lexus GS300h 2015
2BmsLlRl.jpg

The 3 seater on my Beach was no problem.
Easy peasy.

But the 2 seater on the Ocean is difficult. It’s like some have mentioned, VW should have made a cut out as the fabric is really tight to the ISO bars.

First issue I’ve had with ISOFIX across different vehicles.
So definitely a problem with the 2 seat Cali chair.

I’d argue it’s quite wide and they’re right there in the opening. ;)

XBKp9Io_d.jpg

iPhone 6s for size.

That must be a very very new addition as the seats on my MY18 ocean do not have those slits.

(but i'm going to check later in case i'm being really dumb and have somehow missed those)