Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding side widow passenger side front living area - Standard?

M

Martin Knight

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Everyone
We are on the verge of ordering a new California Beach, a massive upgrade for us from our 2002 converted Transporter that we have had for 12 years. Thanks to all on the forum for thoughts, photo's and advice we are now getting close to our perfect vehicle.
One thing that we remain confused about is whether the side window (passenger side) in the front living area slides as standard? The brochure we have tells us that it is, however our local dealer states that this is an extra for £440. Does anyone who has received a new Beach recently know the answer to this? We are thinking it would be useful to have the window open for when we cook in the van.
Thanks in advance!

It's standard. The option price is for the drivers side assuming your in the UK and it's a RHD vehicle. I've looked at the current price list and no window option is £440 inc VAT either which is a bit odd.

Thanks Paul, it's option 4FJ and the £440 price is exc VAT as we are Channel Islands so VAT exempt. I'll go back to them and query.

It's standard. The option price is for the drivers side assuming your in the UK and it's a RHD vehicle. I've looked at the current price list and no window option is £440 inc VAT either which is a bit odd.

Hi Paul, our dealer has said that this is a new cost for 2017 and the brochure with this as standard is out of date. Seems a little odd that something that has been standard before is changed.

Does sound rather odd. I'm looking at a MY18 pricelist (August 2017) page 12:

"Front window (sliding) and rear window (fixed) in load/passenger compartment on passenger's side" is shown as Standard fitment in Beach.

"Front window (sliding) and rear window (fixed) in load/passenger compartment on driver's side" is £165 (£198 inc VAT).

It'd be strange for VW to swap the default side over to the sliding door. Anybody else want to comment?

Paul is correct. I went through this when ordering mine. Sliding window on passenger side is standard. On driver's side (in the sliding door) is £198 option.

As above, on my 17 MY the drivers side window was the option. If you're ordering now you'll be the 2018 MY pricelist / spec. Possibly different in Jersey?

Thanks Paul, it's option 4FJ and the £440 price is exc VAT as we are Channel Islands so VAT exempt. I'll go back to them and query.

4FJ includes the flyscreen. 4JN is £198 without the flyscreen which you can buy for about £100! Living in NZ with sandflies I needed the screens, I expect the same is true anywhere with midges and mosquitos.

Be aware that PL6 'Exterior package' replaces the body coloured mirrors with black plastic ones which don't look great. I ended up buying the carbon fibre mirror covers at £75.

Here's the price list.

Andy

Attachments

• california_t6_pl.pdf
    276.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Paul, Steve, Andy

The whole options sheet was getting really confusing and the dealer was equally unsure too! The order form we had includes standard, cost option and unavailable codes across all the options, but doesn't do this consistently. Perhaps not helped by the knock on effect of some options being required together. For example we ordered the comfort dash but the form doesn't make it clear that this option requires the additional cost of the bigger screen.

We ordered last week and now have confirmation that the passenger side sliding window is indeed standard as you had all said. Seams weird that you can add in 4FJ for 440 but we can only figure that this decent sum of money affords you a plastic flyscreen to go with the standard fitted window. Unless of course the flyscreen requires an entirely different window unit. Anyhow on our current T4 we generally have the door open into the awning when camping so a flyscreen isn't going to help any!

Thanks again, your answers and information helped our brains along the way.

Martin