Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sloping roof problem.

A

andywalker17

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi. Our roof on our 2006 cali has started to slope down about 3" only on the passenger side when raised. It did it a couple of times last year, but is now doing it all the time. We just turn on and raise the roof to fix. Looks like losing pressure from the stay. No oil leak anywhere. Anyone experienced this and is there a cure.
Thanks. Andy

Hi it sounds like you have a failing roof ram. Oil is bypassing the internal seals causing the roof to drop a new ram will solve the problem

Hi it sounds like you have a failing roof ram. Oil is bypassing the internal seals causing the roof to drop a new ram will solve the problem
Thanks for the update. Are these easy to replace or is it recommended that a garage should do it.

Hold it!!

I had the same problem, hmm, I still have the same problem.
The left side of the roof drops down, especially when raised in warm weather, when it cools down, the left side drops. Pumping it up and down untill you don't hear the air circulating in the pump when you operate it, will temporarily solve the problem, untill the next sunny day.

I changed the left ram, as I was not seeing any leaks, but that didn't solve the problem. I only see yellow cristallized substance on the right ram, but I have no problem with that side.

My guess is that the valve block on the motor for the roof doesn't hold the pressure anymore. When it is hot, the oil expands, leaking the oil internally back in the reservoir on the motor. When the oil cools down, it shrinks, making the pressure drop on the affected side.

I am waiting for my "new" second hand motor, to keep my roof closed when driving, so I can (get my) repair(ed) original motor back in place.

A new motor costs € 1400, as you can't achieve the valve block alone. You can get the oil reservoir, you can get the electric motor, but the valve block comes complete with those 2 other parts. :talktothehand Thanks VW!!

Hold it!!

I had the same problem, hmm, I still have the same problem.
The left side of the roof drops down, especially when raised in warm weather, when it cools down, the left side drops. Pumping it up and down untill you don't hear the air circulating in the pump when you operate it, will temporarily solve the problem, untill the next sunny day.

I changed the left ram, as I was not seeing any leaks, but that didn't solve the problem. I only see yellow cristallized substance on the right ram, but I have no problem with that side.

My guess is that the valve block on the motor for the roof doesn't hold the pressure anymore. When it is hot, the oil expands, leaking the oil internally back in the reservoir on the motor. When the oil cools down, it shrinks, making the pressure drop on the affected side.

I am waiting for my "new" second hand motor, to keep my roof closed when driving, so I can (get my) repair(ed) original motor back in place.

A new motor costs € 1400, as you can't achieve the valve block alone. You can get the oil reservoir, you can get the electric motor, but the valve block comes complete with those 2 other parts. :talktothehand Thanks VW!!
Yeah.
And hold it again, Ive got a piece of wood holding up my left hand side, not
ideal.

Dumé´s manual conversion is the light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Yeah.
And hold it again, Ive got a piece of wood holding up my left hand side, not
ideal.

Dumé´s manual conversion is the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
I know, it is a pain that VW doesn't make things that important really bullet proof.
But before the OP spends € 300 for a new ram, just to find out that this isn't the problem, I wanted to share my experience on a similar looking problem.

I know, it is a pain that VW doesn't make things that important really bullet proof.
But before the OP spends € 300 for a new ram, just to find out that this isn't the problem, I wanted to share my experience on a similar looking problem.
Been there, done that, VW took my 300 and couldn't´explain why it was no different.
Of course they would have replaced ever single part just to try and see but that would
have been at my expense.

I can have that second hand motor quite cheap, so I will give it a try. I like my cars as stock as possible (except for my own convenience I have a Chinese rubbish navigation look alike RNS 510).

I can have that second hand motor quite cheap, so I will give it a try. I like my cars as stock as possible (except for my own convenience I have a Chinese rubbish navigation look alike RNS 510).
Oh yes, you have a sh1t radio don't you :D

Well, it can do a lot more than that sh1t RCD 310 that originally came with it. So for now, this sh*t is fine for me.

Yep, but one day you will realise that its proper sh1t. :D
Passed that stage already! But as long as it does what I want it to do, I don't bother anymore. I still can revert to the RCD310, or even plug in a real RNS510, as my van is equipped with an original GPS antenna!

And again, we are hijacking someone else his post!!

I don't want to meet you in person. We would end up fighting all over the campsite!