Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Small side drawer problems - again!

R_Sargeant_CH

R_Sargeant_CH

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
This drawer must be one of the most discussed topics after leaking pop tops!
The black lift up latch on the small drawer somehow became twisted towards the larger drawer, so far that it fouled and had to be pushed to the right to close it. Looked horrible and was very inconvenient.
I took out the drawer to try to fix. Once on the bench I could see that the metal bracket on the back of the latch was badly twisted. I dismantled the whole thing and carefully straightened the bracket, which appears to be made from very soft mild steel. Now I’m fighting to reassemble it, in particular the coiled spring that pulls the latch shut.
The spring is very strong. It seems that it needs to be wound up almost one turn, which I’ve spent the last 5 hours fighting.
Before I giv up completely and by a complete new drawer at about £110, does anyone have any tips please?

Picture of bits attached.

Thanks from Switzerland

image.jpg

Well, I don’t know how my local Swiss VW dealer did it, but somehow they wound up that spring and hooked it into place!. I’d left the drawer with them when having a regular service done, and they proudly showed me the perfectly fitted and latching drawer.
My tip - the metal bracket shown top right above is made from very soft steel. When opening, lift the latch straight up carefully from the bottom. I now place my thumb near the top and lift the bottom with 2/3 fingers. Note that the bracket incorporates a metal stop that’s supposed to prevent you lifting the latch too high. If you force it or apply any sideways force the bracket and/or plastic latch is likely to be damaged!

Back