Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Tonbridge Review (recommended)

LemonDrop

LemonDrop

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We picked our new Beach up from Matt Weller at SMG Tonbridge on Saturday and I would definitely use them again.

From first contact at the end of October 2018 to pick-up on 2nd March 2019 Matt has been nothing but helpful.

I was pretty high maintenance with multiple changes to the order, loads of questions, various after-market add-ons and Matt was always happy to chat and advise.

Handover was very thorough, no trying to get us out the door asap.

Great service from SMG and Matt Weller was a pleasure to deal with. Thanks Matt if you're reading this!

Reef21

Reef21

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Couldn't agree more. Bought our Ocean from Matt a couple of months ago, and he was a pleasure to do business with. Nothing was too much trouble, and the handover, as yours, was brilliant; spent a long time going through my checklist so that I was satisfied everything was just right before driving off.

blondebier

blondebier

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just to balance this out a little.

I get the feeling people have when they collect their vans and are on cloud nine. You're delighted with the van and are most likely happy with the dealer. Positive reviews follow.

I've taken both my vans to SMG Tonbridge for routine servicing. Parking is a nightmare and I'm always relieved to get out of there without any bodywork damage. They've even started doing a vehicle appraisal at drop off to record any existing damage. (Presumably because all the vehicles are so tightly parked damage is inevitable)

For anything other than routine servicing I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I did notice that when I had "SMG" on our first van's number plate the service was better.

Our latest van's plate had "Eurovans" on it. A sarky comment followed and the subsequent service was appalling.

They made a complete hash of a warranty job (took 4 visits to resolve) and this was done by their in-house "cali-expert". The whole job seemed like a hassle from start to finish.

Thankfully SMG Cowfold are not too far and know how to offer good aftercare - regardless of which dealer delivered the van.

LemonDrop

LemonDrop

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

I get the feeling people have when they collect their vans and are on cloud nine. You're delighted with the van and are most likely happy with the dealer. Positive reviews follow.

I've taken both my vans to SMG Tonbridge for routine servicing. Parking is a nightmare and I'm always relieved to get out of there without any bodywork damage. They've even started doing a vehicle appraisal at drop off to record any existing damage. (Presumably because all the vehicles are so tightly parked damage is inevitable)

I did notice that when I had "SMG" on our first van's number plate the service was better.

Our latest van's plate had "Eurovans" on it. A sarky comment followed and the subsequent service was appalling.

They made a complete hash of a warranty job (took 4 visits to resolve) and this was done by their in-house "cali-expert". The whole job seemed like a hassle from start to finish.

Thankfully SMG Cowfold are not too far and know how to offer good aftercare - regardless of which dealer delivered the van.
My review is based on my experience from the first contact to picking up my van so is nothing to do with being on Cloud Nine.

I had a good experience of SMG Tonbridge and that is why my review is positive..

Last edited:
Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

You are spot on about the parking at Tonbridge. It is awful.

However I’ve had a positive experience with their service department. They wouldn’t replace my awning canopy under warranty due to it creasing in hot temperatures, but as the most serious damage was caused by my then 3 year old tossing gravel onto it, and me then winding it in causing a neat line of punctures, that is hardly surprising.

They are going to replace my tailgate chair bag under warranty on 8 July.

Our Partners