Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snows Plymouth

We are still paying the finance along side this though, so it’s coming off anything we are building up.

Are we being PITA’s? Lol
I see what you mean. You certainly are not being a PITA!

Maybe best to reject it and start from scratch. I just had a quick look on Autotrader and turned up 11 Oceans immediately available (see below), are none of those of any interest? One of them is an “Edition”.

That search was in the “Car” section, there is also a “Motor Caravan” section which may throw up more.

A4A0379B-C5C8-44FD-91C4-440AEABA9F08.jpeg

I think you have been incredibly patient and behaved in a very dignified manner throughout the whole saga. You have given VW more than a fair chance to fix it, they have tried and not succeeded.
Will you be able to feel you can depend on Dudley when you need to? The water supply is only one aspect of a very complex machine and the rest of it may work perfectly.

I think I would agree with Verity that you need some good legal advice as to your options and then choose the one that best suits you.

I hope you resolve the issues to your satisfaction and look forward to meeting you both again on your travels.
Simon

Sounds like the dealer is bending over backwards to sort this out, why does legal action and compensation have to come into everything these days.

Sounds like the dealer is bending over backwards to sort this out, why does legal action and compensation have to come into everything these days.
I wasn't suggesting legal action and compensation, just for the van owner to know what options are legally available so that she is not left out of pocket, which seems to be the situation at the moment. It is awful for the dealer too, but as the owner is taking a financial hit (regardless of the emotional upset) I think she would be wise just to see what the law says in this situation. Not suggesting we all go out and sue VW every time we have an issue.

We really appreciate the advice and support. The reason I document it on here, is because, 1) you guys provide emotional help and 2) there are some real gems of info that crop up, that we appreciate and use and 3) it's a good grasp on timelines. I don't want people arguing over views here.

Verity is right. We do need to seek legal advice purely to scope out our options. When VW offered us compensation, it wasn't because we asked for it. We were offered it and as yet, have had less than half of the offered sum. That's not what this is about at all.

In a nutshell, this is about the experience of life and freedom that the Cali should have given us, after I suffered with a horrible illness for several years, stopping any normal life we should have had. I have been granted a chance at grabbing life again whilst I am young enough to enjoy it, so the emotional turmoil for me far outweighs the financial aspect. This is not so for my partner, who is the one paying for all of this and having to deal with me in tears as well his own stress. All he wants is a Nissan GTR o_O

All jokes aside, we are out of pocket no matter what way we go, (I have started to compile a spreadsheet) and even if you deduct a fair amount for the usage we have had, unless we go for a rejection and seek to claim back all out of pocket expenses we are the losers. We do not want to go down this route as someone else quite rightly pointed out, the dealer is NOW trying to do he can. Unfortunately, he can only do so much his end.

If our expense can be offset against a new van, then fine. If we can somehow work out how I will get to and from work whilst it is built, without incurring any costs, then fine. These are the details we are still bottoming out with the dealer. If they can find us a replacement used vehicle, then fine. We are not unreasonable people and we are not out for what we can get here. We just want what we are paying for and the freedom to use a van without worrying, for the purposes we bought it for.

I see what you mean. You certainly are not being a PITA!

Maybe best to reject it and start from scratch. I just had a quick look on Autotrader and turned up 11 Oceans immediately available (see below), are none of those of any interest? One of them is an “Edition”.

That search was in the “Car” section, there is also a “Motor Caravan” section which may throw up more.

View attachment 35587

I’ve taken a look everywhere tonight. No coloured bellows anywhere. It probably seems strange to most people but we just love the fact that coloured bellows are that little bit different and don’t really want to compromise on that or the spec we have for the money we are spending. It has to what we want.

There is a blue/white two tone arriving near to us soon with blue bellows though...

PROGRESS!!!!

After spending this morning trying to get VW Financial Services to amend the final outcome letter they sent us regarding Dudley's leaky episodes (on the advice of the Ombudsman) and also after asking them to re-open the case due to the new electrical problems and them basically refusing to do either, the whole thing finally reduced me to a sobbing mess.

I spoke to VWCS who were equally as unhelpful and finally phoned Darren Rosser, (Head of Business for Snows Plymouth) who is just a complete angel!

WE HAVE AN END IN SIGHT! :bananadance2
Dudley will go back on 30th July and Darren will pay off the finance and return equity to us to put down on a new Dudley. Dudley 2 is exactly the same spec, and Darren has put a really good discount on it, which will offset some of the expenses described in previous posts.

Whilst we wait for Dudley 2, he will lend me a VW Caddy so I can still get to and from work - we have come to an arrangement on insurance, after Comfort said they can't cover me on the Caddy as it's not a camper. He will lend us another California Ocean so that we can still take our planned trip to Scotland for two weeks in September.

Our experience of VW this year has been awful, and just reinforces my view that they are an arrogant brand, if that's the right term? If there were alternatives on the market, we would have been looking elsewhere, but nothing else carries the Kudos of an original VW California and nothing else is built quite like it in terms of space saving, versatility, and usability.

Dudley has become part of the family, despite all the problems and I love him dearly - it's not his fault he was a 'Friday afternoon bodge job'. It will upset me to see him go back.
The relief that we now have a plan in place, is amazing. Darren has been amazing with basically ZERO backup from VWFS and probably not much more from VWCS.
Anyone wanting to use Snows Plymouth for warranty work, will now have one of the best technicians available and hopefully Darren has been retraining the staff to make Snows Plymouth a flagship centre for the Southwest. Don't be put off using them because of our experience, I really believe they are doing all they can to turn their reputation around.

PROGRESS!!!!

After spending this morning trying to get VW Financial Services to amend the final outcome letter they sent us regarding Dudley's leaky episodes (on the advice of the Ombudsman) and also after asking them to re-open the case due to the new electrical problems and them basically refusing to do either, the whole thing finally reduced me to a sobbing mess.

I spoke to VWCS who were equally as unhelpful and finally phoned Darren Rosser, (Head of Business for Snows Plymouth) who is just a complete angel!

WE HAVE AN END IN SIGHT! :bananadance2
Dudley will go back on 30th July and Darren will pay off the finance and return equity to us to put down on a new Dudley. Dudley 2 is exactly the same spec, and Darren has put a really good discount on it, which will offset some of the expenses described in previous posts.

Whilst we wait for Dudley 2, he will lend me a VW Caddy so I can still get to and from work - we have come to an arrangement on insurance, after Comfort said they can't cover me on the Caddy as it's not a camper. He will lend us another California Ocean so that we can still take our planned trip to Scotland for two weeks in September.

Our experience of VW this year has been awful, and just reinforces my view that they are an arrogant brand, if that's the right term? If there were alternatives on the market, we would have been looking elsewhere, but nothing else carries the Kudos of an original VW California and nothing else is built quite like it in terms of space saving, versatility, and usability.

Dudley has become part of the family, despite all the problems and I love him dearly - it's not his fault he was a 'Friday afternoon bodge job'. It will upset me to see him go back.
The relief that we now have a plan in place, is amazing. Darren has been amazing with basically ZERO backup from VWFS and probably not much more from VWCS.
Anyone wanting to use Snows Plymouth for warranty work, will now have one of the best technicians available and hopefully Darren has been retraining the staff to make Snows Plymouth a flagship centre for the Southwest. Don't be put off using them because of our experience, I really believe they are doing all they can to turn their reputation around.
Oh you poor love! So glad you are getting a solution which is acceptable to you. What a load off your mind! Like you, I have had health problems over the years, and stress is the major thing which upends me and sends me back into poor physical and mental health, so I have utter respect for the way you have kept going through all this trauma. I hope the next few months waiting aren't too trying for you, and that Dudley 2 was a Tuesday morning job, when the workers have got over their weekend hangovers and are fresh from a good night's sleep. I am nervous about the poor soul who buys Dudley 1 though - I wonder if the dealership will be honest about his history?

Totally agree with your feedback about Darren & Jamie (Master technician ) at Snows. Totally different since Darren has taken over. They are very keen to give good support to Cali owners.

Recent warranty repairs on our Cali Have been carried out to a high standard.
Our Cali was collected & delivered back to our home address . They did leave us a brand new Transporter to use. Very helpful while Ive recovered from recent operations.

So pleased your have found a positive way forward. Look forward to meeting Dudley 2.
Like the look of your inflatable pladdle boards. We are keen to try them .

Back