Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So Glad To Be At Home This Easter

Yesterday at Glenshee.
Stunning day, snow and conditions were perfect for a weekend of snow fun.

View attachment 31673

Nice.
I Fly out to Austria next Tuesday for another ski trip.
The alps has had a huge amount of snow this year. Apparently it’s been snowing the last few days too
:bananadance2

Have never travelled anywhere on Bank Holidays. When the kids were young I would work the Bank Holidays and we would travel midweek. Now being retired we travel anytime BUT a Bank Holiday. It’s not the weather but the traffic, roadworks and dare I say it some of the numpties who take to the road who rarely travel on main roads or motorways.

It was nice and quiet - we normally camp with a group of friends but no one braved it so we could have the heater on when not walking and close the door! 24C on level 1 is warmer than we keep the house. Particularly amused having had a wet and blowy cliff walk on Friday (once we dried out in front of the pub fire) at people flocking to the fire after their terrible walk from the car park :headbang

We went up to Snowdonia with Loz for Easter. A place that is famed for being a tad moist at times.
The drive up on Friday was in superb weather. Saturday was a bit overcast at first, but dry withe the sun improving over the day.
Easter 2018 (5).JPG Easter 2018 (10).JPG Easter 2018 (17a).jpg
Sunday was excellent weather with a trip to Bodnant and then along the North coast to Conwy and back down on the East side of Snowdon. Bright sun all the way, though judging by the tops of the higher peaks there had been a lot of snow on high ground. We did a bit of Cali spotting and saw a Swiss Cali as well as the other 2 that I posted earlier.
Easter 2018 (30).JPG Easter 2018 (55) Swiss Cali.jpg Easter 2018 (57).jpg
Sunday night brought high winds and 4"+ of rain with a drive back through slush on some of roads in Mid-Wales. Just shows how variable the weather was around the UK. Bristol was in strong sun when we got back, but it had apparently been wet all weekend.

Left three cliffs today....rained a bit more over night. Packed the awning away this morning and it was very wet and muddy, but back in it’s original bag and footprint etc in black bin bags. Camp workers quite impressed we once again got away without assistance as pretty much every other vw camper has had to be dragged off their pitches this weekend.

Now camped in Pembrokeshire at LLEITHYR FARM hoping for some dry weather.

I am off to the wilds of Saddleworth tomorrow. I go most months. The last time I was there without having to put up with icy cold winds and snow was last October :(

0FB3A8D2-C878-4718-902B-9E30EAC5E29C.jpeg We often get it wrong but this week we spent on Skye and whilst it was pretty cold we didn’t see much rain to speak of and saw lots of sun, blue sky and blue water. View from our pitch above.

However........ it was pretty cold and on our way up camping at Fort William we saw a white campervan opposite us with a completely frozen awning part withdrawn, with a frozen, and so bust, motor. Seeing him standing on a chair with a hairdryer trying to defrost the workings was both amusing and slightly terrifying as hairdryers are not outdoor tools, nor are canvas chairs the safest ladder!

It was also a first for us having our awning frozen up, including the release clips, but the sun was up and we were patient, so we waited for it all to defrost naturally before moving on.

There were a lot of Cali’s on our campsite at Skye.

Last edited:
2 day up in Wales with me Da, then home for chores and our Sunday drink and social time with our 90 year neighbour (ex merchant navy / first voyage was Operation Pedestal!).

Monday _10hr in work checking / rewriting a specification for a new building. :Depressed

We spent a couple of nights at Chatsworth. This was our second visit to this site and on both occasions we have woken up to snow.

It’s not a big site and there were a few empty pitches so it wasn’t over-crowded or noisy. Just ended up being a bit white!

We haven’t been anywhere this weekend.
Stayed at home doing odd jobs. If I’m honest reading friends posts about traffic, crowds and this hideous weather.
I’m quite glad we stayed at home.

Any others gave this weekend a swerve...?
Try Appledore North Devon. Much quieter than other areas of the south west. Surfaced estuary side car parking overnight for a small fee thanks to the Council. Toilets. Excellent pub within 50 metres. Pretty village with restaurants pubs shops and lovely walks. 2 miles of golden sand surfing beach also within 5 minute drive. No need to get muddy and you can fill up with water on the way home at my house 6 miles away if I'm not away in my Cali!

DB9141A3-84A0-4738-A76C-3DB364CF5C1C.jpeg We stayed three nights at Corfe Castle CCC site - very nice, though it was a bit wet, I have to say. Glad to have our new awning room, ie sides - nice piece of kit. It looks a bit saggy but that's because we had to drop one side of the canopy to stop it ponding.

Well we have to holiday when the schools are off. We went up to Scotland for a fortnight and had a great time. We were lucky with the weather and stayed on some lovely sites via the caravan club ( I know, I know but I like a heated toilet)
I would highly recommend Bunree and Morvich. Finished up in Edinburgh which has good public transport into the centre. Downside was the 9 hour drive back to Somerset but felt sorry for the poor souls going the other way as they shut the M6

D6F6D7A3-B0C9-4C16-A110-248480ADEB3E.jpeg

634C5F5B-0FAD-494F-BE31-CB85D8AE95DA.jpeg

01F7AB5F-E24B-438D-A090-3C413014F26A.jpeg

Morvich was a pleasure as we were the only ones up at our end of the campsite. Perhaps that’s why a red deer came to say hello to us in the evening, looking in on us as it walked up the river. Lovely.

We were in the Eskdale Valley, Western Lake District, blue skies, sunshine and no rain.

We've learnt that particularly for Easter, take thursday off and travel up early to miss the traffic. Given the forecast at the time we planned only 3 nights to come home late sunday - our usual approach is that if weather is terrible we may leave earlier than planned, if its great we may stay longer than planned!

As it turned out, weather was cracking - although still cold, we had some great walks, good local pubs and missed all the traffic. We left late sunday afternoon to travel home as Eskdale was forecast snow overnight sunday and rain monday so we got back in good time and had a day relaxing at home.

We tend to plan a trip and usually go rather than cancel last minute, we've had so many trips where the forecast would have seen us stay at home, only to find a pocket of good weather and a very enjoyable trip away.

Back