soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We haven’t been anywhere this weekend.
Stayed at home doing odd jobs. If I’m honest reading friends posts about traffic, crowds and this hideous weather.
I’m quite glad we stayed at home.

Any others gave this weekend a swerve...?

No not me, I'm sure you have seen my post. All I can say is I'm glad this is all still a novelty for us :D

Well only if you count going and then wimping it to return home!!

I have no time for fair weather campers :talktothehand

I have no time for fair weather campers :talktothehand

There is a fine line between fair weather campers and choosing your time away wisely (or just being lucky). ;)

Went away last weekend to a campsite in Sheringham. We were one of about 20 pitches, beautiful weather, really quiet and had a great time.

The Barman told us this weekend had all 150 pitches fully booked. Certainly glad that we’re at home, buying new bits for the Cali instead!

Karma is going to bite me for being so smug!! :D

We considered a long weekend away up to Scotland and home via the Northumberland coast and the peak District. The cold doesn't bother us and neither does some rain; however, when there are weather warnings in place i'd rather not expose the family to any unnecessary risk on the roads or anywhere else.

In the end my work had a say and we couldn't get away for the full weekend. We did spot a break in the weather and headed to Branscombe, Devon for a 28 hour getaway. Although the campsite was a quagmire, we made the most of it and even had some sunshine on Easter Sunday morning. Due to how muddy the Cali is inside and out, i like to look at the trip as a 'Valet Preparation Trip'!

Time to valet the Cali.....

We were going to the Club Meet in the New Forest - Cancelled because of water logged site. We rebooked at Cerne Abbas nr Dorchester, were advised on Tuesday that if we turned up we would definitely need wellies and risk the need of being pulled out of the mud by "the farm tractor". I didn't mind the wellies but really didn't want to subject our Cali to such a beast, the tractor that is, so we bailed on that. Instead we decided to visit my two sons, they live in Bristol (we live in West Midlands).......three and a half hours later. Rain, traffic, queues, accidents (3!) we arrived a bit frazzled at the edges. On the way home decided to take the A38.....it rained all the way and at times a boat would have been more appropriate than a camper van. Four hours later......decided to hibernate as we figured someone was trying to tell something!

We came from Dorset to Nottingham on Friday, got a very wet bike ride in on Saturday, a much drier ride in on Sunday (all cheating as staying with the MIL) now about to head out to Cambridge as that’s where the weather will be a bit clearer for a couple of days of camping.....been itching to get out!

One of the reasons i don't try to go anywhere on bank hollydays as you call them , or school hollydays in general.
Way to crouwded and more expencive tarifs on campsites.

Is the weather still that bad in the UK ? Here it seems spring has arrived with themps arround 10-15 celcius and less rain ...
Easter has come early this year also.....and on top of that on a sunday :D

Is the weather still that bad in the UK ? Here it seems spring has arrived with themps arround 10-15 celcius and less rain ...
/QUOTE]

Err....yeah...

EDIT: Tried to post a screen shot of the weather report....basically rain with more rain.

Good on you brave souls for trying. We can’t change the weather here in Blighty. It is what it is. But man, are we having a rough few months...!!!

Did manage an overnight trip to North Yorkshire yesterday to see the inlaws, but was fortunate enough to be indoors.

Hotel California, the weather is a tad wet here.
Infact, we have sprung a small lake in the garden:D

D4525440-0F8E-4779-A724-099F048B692A.jpeg

One of the reasons i don't try to go anywhere on bank hollydays as you call them , or school hollydays in general.
Way to crouwded and more expencive tarifs on campsites.

Easter has come early this year also.....and on top of that on a sunday :D
Well when you are thinking of going away Wim, I would steer clear of that budget airline on your avatar. It looks as if they are cutting a few corners. :thumb

It's down to pot luck wherever you are, we are back from a week in a cottage with family in the Lake District. Actually had a really good week, fine and bright most days and only one 1/2 day of rain. Normally I would say head south for better weather but not in this case. Normal service has now resumed with rain and sleet but that's ok, I'm working lol.

At the three cliffs in the Gower for night 2 of 6...wife’s face is telling me we may not get to night 6.

On positive note, out countryside view pitch was more sheltered than those on the coastal side, and we woke up to also no have a lakeside view.

At the three cliffs in the Gower for night 2 of 6...wife’s face is telling me we may not get to night 6.

On positive note, out countryside view pitch was more sheltered than those on the coastal side, and we woke up to also no have a lakeside view.

3 cliffs is beautiful.
Couple of great campsites there too.
Jason sounds like you need some indoor ideas.
Cinema and Swimming Pool in Swansea.
I hear the Gower Centre is interesting...

Restaurant at Oxwich is brilliant

Thanks....our pitch looks quite sheltered and last night the only bit flapping was the badly attached entrance to the van. So have closed it all up and pegged out all the guys for the day. It’s supposed to be drier today.

Watched a number of vw conversions all being towed off the field+ pretty much every caravan. Oh and a few tents being picked up and moved to the more sheltered pitches.

As for our van...even with the squelchy ground the m + s tyres and 4 motion didn’t flinch. So glad I ticked those boxes.

Thanks for the ideas, we luckily have family in the area so can away drop the miserable ones there.

The question will be, do we bother heading to st David’s for the remainder of the week!

On the +side we shouldn’t be having a hose pipe ban this summer
..........should we?

Thanks....our pitch looks quite sheltered and last night the only bit flapping was the badly attached entrance to the van. So have closed it all up and pegged out all the guys for the day. It’s supposed to be drier today.

Watched a number of vw conversions all being towed off the field+ pretty much every caravan. Oh and a few tents being picked up and moved to the more sheltered pitches.

As for our van...even with the squelchy ground the m + s tyres and 4 motion didn’t flinch. So glad I ticked those boxes.

Thanks for the ideas, we luckily have family in the area so can away drop the miserable ones there.

The question will be, do we bother heading to st David’s for the remainder of the week!
The weather can ONLY get better?!
I bet the surfing is great

We lent a Friends apartment and took a plane to N.Y. In 5 days we have had all from warm sunny weather, rain and mist. Today we are going back and it is snowing! … weather seems to be out of its mind in many places ;-)

Just back from a couple of lovely days in S Pembrokeshire....no rain (we left before it started) and pretty quiet everywhere

Back