Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plan to Scotland in Easter holiday

I would suggest you check regarding sites open before travelling and if discrete camping leave no trace. At least in a California we are not highly visible but these are worrying times for many and who knows how touring folk will be welcomed. Remember that up in the wilds of Scotland health services are very limited compared to the central belt so North Berwick to Durham, Northumbria may be just as appealing.

Spain and Italy in lockdown, France could well be next. I think it’s advisable to stay in the UK. You can still travel but take extra precautions to protect yourselves and others. Avoid crowds, cook and eat in the van, you can be pretty self sufficient in a Cali. We are looking at Scotland ourselves, but are pretty flexible and may stay closer to home.

I would wait and see what Boris announces this coming week before making any decisions, as has been mentioned Europe is getting much worse with several countries locked down.

Here in Italy it’s apocalyptic, in our small town 60km south of Turin there’s no virus so far, we can’t leave the house only for essentials and only one person at a time, it’s virtually silent, the supermarkets are fully stocked as agriculture is still working as well as the transport industry, how long don’t know as the virus will grind these down.

This is the new normal, the virus is not going away any time soon, it can’t be stopped, it can only be slowed down until it runs out of victims.

Boris’s decisions last week which not everyone agreed with are prudent I think to a point, if the virus developed slowly it gives time to prepare.

But....

As to traveling, we would have been in the van wandering around Spain/Portugal for several weeks by now if were not delayed due to a clutch failure, fortuitous maybe but it’s dam boring sitting here.

Difficult one though ... I guess you could always self isolate before going ... From the BBC "
That's only if you are showing symptoms though. If you are feeling fine with none of the signs or symptoms then you don't have it so self isolation is pointless. You only need initially to self isolate if you have mild symptoms and for a week. If it doesn't seem to clear or gets worse then you phone 111 and they'll either tell you to self isolate for a further 7 days or if very unwell organise admittance to hospital isolation ward. I think it is an excellent idea suggesting the elderly stay at home to avoid being infected which will save hundreds of beds the NHS will no doubt need. Italy ans Spain are having a bad time with lots of deaths but we've not been told much about what age group is taking the brunt of it but both countries seem to have extended families living in one home i.e. grandparents still live with their family so it only takes one of the family to bring it home and wham! Countries such as ours and Germany we we tend to leave home as soon as we can so contact with elderly parents isn't so often - therefore perhaps we may (and i say may with bated breath) be able to deal with it better. On the flip side look at China now shutting down it's last isolation hospital - allowing for them keeping it secret at the start we are still looking at just over 3 months for it to settle out. They too have huge extended families. We've been about a month now.................. only my twopenceworth

That's only if you are showing symptoms though. If you are feeling fine with none of the signs or symptoms then you don't have it so self isolation is pointless.
This is so wrong. Take a look:
clarinetbcn said:
One important difference between SARS and Coronavirus is that Coronavirus is most highly contagious before symptoms show, so quarantine when symptoms show is useless in stopping the spread.

www.sciencenews.org

Coronavirus is most contagious before and during the first week of symptoms
As major efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic go into effect around the globe, researchers are figuring out just when patients are most contagious.
www.sciencenews.org

www.sciencenews.org
Curios coincidence, the study on high infection rates before showing symptoms was done on Webasto employees, where a breakout occurred.

All nine patients are employees of Webasto, an auto supplier in Stockdorf. They caught the virus from a male coworker, who became known as Patient 1. He originally got the virus from a business colleague from Shanghai who came to Germany in January for a series of meetings (SN: 1/31/20). Both Patient 1 and his Shanghai colleague transmitted the virus before developing symptoms, the first documented cases of asymptomatic spread.

Italy ans Spain are having a bad time with lots of deaths but we've not been told much about what age group is taking the brunt of it but both countries seem to have extended families living in one home i.e. grandparents still live with their family so it only takes one of the family to bring it home and wham!
Also wrong. Over 80% of the Spanish population live in cities, where there are virtually no multigenerational households. Actually, the fact that most elderly people live alone was considered a health problem...until last week.

No you've misread what I said. The op said 'I guess if rural areas didn't want visitors they would be closed for business or put up signs saying "for locals only". Difficult one though ... I guess you could always self isolate before going ...' No point in self isolating if there's no chance you've been in contact with anyone otherwise we'll be all self isolating and no one go anywhere - virus would still transmit!

Also wrong. Over 80% of the Spanish population live in cities, where there are virtually no multigenerational households. Actually, the fact that most elderly people live alone was considered a health problem...until last week.
Odd as I was told that by a health care professional! I see you're from Barcelona so bow to your knowledge of your country. I often speak with an Italian in Tuscany where I get materials from and he said that's an issue for them as there could be 8 - 10 folk in their homes in the countryside.

No you've misread what I said. The op said 'I guess if rural areas didn't want visitors they would be closed for business or put up signs saying "for locals only". Difficult one though ... I guess you could always self isolate before going ...' No point in self isolating if there's no chance you've been in contact with anyone otherwise we'll be all self isolating and no one go anywhere - virus would still transmit!
I was replying to someone who said that they weren't sure whether to go to a rural area or not because they could put the local population at risk of infection. I merely made the point that if they wanted to reduce the chance of potentially infecting them they could self-isolate before their planned trip ... So I don't really know where your statement, "That's only if you are showing symptoms though", comes into it.

Hi everyone, time has just passed a week, and the situation has fundamentally changed. I am not going anywhere. I stay at home honestly and wait for the epidemic to pass.

Spain and Italy in lockdown, France could well be next. I think it’s advisable to stay in the UK. You can still travel but take extra precautions to protect yourselves and others. Avoid crowds, cook and eat in the van, you can be pretty self sufficient in a Cali. We are looking at Scotland ourselves, but are pretty flexible and may stay closer to home.
Thank you so much, I decided stay home now, it’s a serious situation now.

Hi everyone, time has just passed a week, and the situation has fundamentally changed. I am not going anywhere. I stay at home honestly and wait for the epidemic to pass.
It’s disappointing but the right decision, hope your family stay safe.

Hi everyone,
Originally, I planned to drive our cali to Spain or Switzerland with my family during the Easter holiday. Now it seems that I have to cancel this plan because the coronavirus epidemic there is getting worse. But I can’t spend the whole holiday at home with my children, right? So, we plan to go to Scotland. Although the weather there will not be very good at this time in April, is it better than staying at home?
I've been to Edinburgh twice, but I have never been to other parts of Scotland. I originally planned to go this summer. Now it seems that the plan can be advanced. My plan is to travel for two weeks, but I am not quite sure how to plan the route and where to go. If it is from London to Scotland, in two weeks, can you help me plan a self-driving trip? What cities and nature are worth visiting? Which campersites are good? Thank you all for your recommendation!

View attachment 56091
Hebrides today, beach at North Uist, stunning. Self isolating.

0509FB79-0803-42EF-9678-6F5D6E064FCA.jpeg

We have a fully fuelled and stocked Cali. I have cancelled going to Scotland for 10 days but we are going to Wales tomorrow for a couple of days. No sites no towns just out in the wild away from anyone then back for work Monday.

We have decided to postpone our Scottish 18-day trip planned for 4 weeks time. Do not fancy being unwell away from home rather die in my own bed. Imagine being 400 miles home and being able to drive home

We have decided to postpone our Scottish 18-day trip planned for 4 weeks time. Do not fancy being unwell away from home rather die in my own bed. Imagine being 400 miles home and being able to drive home
Similarly we have a week booked on Arran in 4 weeks followed by another couple of weeks in cottages on the mainland. Probably just going to reschedule for next year. We have other bookings June/Sept/Oct which may or may not have to been rescheduled nearer the time. We feel it’s the sensible approach as we wouldn’t want to be responsible for causing harm to another individual.

Similarly we have a week booked on Arran in 4 weeks followed by another couple of weeks in cottages on the mainland. Probably just going to reschedule for next year. We have other bookings June/Sept/Oct which may or may not have to been rescheduled nearer the time. We feel it’s the sensible approach as we wouldn’t want to be responsible for causing harm to another individual.
Speaking with a holiday cottage letting business in the lakes yesterday, they currently have a 98% cancelation rate, sign of the times unfortunatley.

Speaking with a holiday cottage letting business in the lakes yesterday, they currently have a 98% cancelation rate, sign of the times unfortunatley.
Chatting with a good friend of mine who owns several hotels down in the West Country he lost 400 hundred thousand pounds of bookings in just 24 hours this week hotels should be 75% full currently running at 15%

We were going to go tomorrow but decided last week that it was not a responsible thing to do.
Looks like there will be a Cali convoy to Scotland when it calms down, just in time fir the midges possibly.

And them midges are going to be powerful hungry by then... ;)

Hi everyone,
For your own and everyone’s safety, please stay at home, cancel your travel plans, and be a responsible citizen, please.

300DFFAA-E853-498E-8B89-BEBB7D83F3EA.png

We were due to go in a few weeks time and have an apartment booked for a week in Plockton with Cottages.com. We didn't bother with insurance so assumed we had lost our money, as we obviously can't go now, but they have just offered us a swap to next year. Let's hope it's all over by then.