Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So True.

I could not have put that better myself

We all are part of the problem, blaming others is not a constructive approach,but it appears Tibet he current way of the world.

The game will need to change in incremental steps, we are all contributors to the situation and anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaming todays woes on previous generations is both pointless and lazy. You can't turn back time any more than you can un-invent plastic.
I think that her anger is directed at a real or perceived lack of action among World leaders and Trump in particular. Trump's withdrawal of the US from the Paris Climate Agreement was a disgrace.

The Japanese are doing their bit with a shrinking population. I would be best to get a few economic migrants I guess

I know via my work, just how much is going on to make the world cleaner and I feel like companies are starting to change too. It surprises me how much doesn't get shared, but there will always be a strong voice against usually from those who feel they will feel the change negatively.

The heart of our problem though is quite simple, pushing the idea that growth can be continual and not treating resources like they are actually infinite. Ultimately the drive for ever more convenience and the drive to make more money has to come second to making sure its sustainable, the current system is the other way around. I think this is part of the reason the world is so divided we have a system that's creaking and it's flaws are really exposed now. We are so entrenched in it, it's proving quite painful to move forward, but we are moving forward even if slowly.

Human beings are a bit like bacteria in a dish, they will just grow and expand to fill the space, eventually consuming all the food in the dish. You'd think our brains would give us the ability to navigate this but of course ultimately each person will generally be concerned with the here and now and those close to them and lash out at anything that might threaten their little bubble.

I know via my work, just how much is going on to make the world cleaner and I feel like companies are starting to change too. It surprises me how much doesn't get shared, but there will always be a strong voice against usually from those who feel they will feel the change negatively.

The heart of our problem though is quite simple, pushing the idea that growth can be continual and not treating resources like they are actually infinite. Ultimately the drive for ever more convenience and the drive to make more money has to come second to making sure its sustainable, the current system is the other way around. I think this is part of the reason the world is so divided we have a system that's creaking and it's flaws are really exposed now. We are so entrenched in it, it's proving quite painful to move forward, but we are moving forward even if slowly.

Human beings are a bit like bacteria in a dish, they will just grow and expand to fill the space, eventually consuming all the food in the dish. You'd think our brains would give us the ability to navigate this but of course ultimately each person will generally be concerned with the here and now and those close to them and lash out at anything that might threaten their little bubble.
You hit the nail on the head. I hope that the necessary changes can be made but I feel extremely pessimistic about it. Yes the enlightened few are reducing flying, buying less "stuff", minimising plastic waste, becoming vegetarian etc. etc. but meanwhile C02 emissions continue to rise as Trump denies there is a problem at all, Bolsonaro encourages the burning of the Amazon and China builds more coal fired power plants. I think Thunberg is brilliant, yes she is angry and most likely scared and so she should be, we are heading towards the point of no return once the permafrost starts melting and the Amazon rainforest is shrunk to who knows what point? Unless there is a massive, worldwide change away from the idea of continual growth and consumerism and convenience, we will continue on the same trajectory. I don't think the powers that be want to change it (it's all about the money) - or maybe they have no idea what on earth to do, after all it would mean the entire world agreeing on the way forward and how is that possible? I really hope I'm wrong but I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old and I am very worried for their future.

Sorry, probably a bit intense for this forum :Iamsorry

You hit the nail on the head. I hope that the necessary changes can be made but I feel extremely pessimistic about it. Yes the enlightened few are reducing flying, buying less "stuff", minimising plastic waste, becoming vegetarian etc. etc. but meanwhile C02 emissions continue to rise as Trump denies there is a problem at all, Bolsonaro encourages the burning of the Amazon and China builds more coal fired power plants. I think Thunberg is brilliant, yes she is angry and most likely scared and so she should be, we are heading towards the point of no return once the permafrost starts melting and the Amazon rainforest is shrunk to who knows what point? Unless there is a massive, worldwide change away from the idea of continual growth and consumerism and convenience, we will continue on the same trajectory. I don't think the powers that be want to change it (it's all about the money) - or maybe they have no idea what on earth to do, after all it would mean the entire world agreeing on the way forward and how is that possible? I really hope I'm wrong but I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old and I am very worried for their future.

On the other hand, the planet will be quite a nice place when we have completed our extinction. And as a side-note, technically there is no such thing as pollution.

China builds more coal fired power plants.
China gets a bad press. It is doing a fair amount to slow its growth in carbon emissions. Its one child policy, now a two child policy, and soon to be abandoned, while a demographic nightmare, will soon result in a dramatic population decline - and with that dramatic decline a forecast decline in carbon emissions.

Due to it being a one party state, forward policy is outlined decades in advance. China is the World leader in wind power generation and has a blueprint for the next 30 years.

In the short term, you are right, China is building coal fired power stations, but it does have an achievable plan in place to wean itself off fossil fuels.

I’ve taken steps to consume less.
Bought my own coffee cup and water bottle a couple of years ago and wondered why I never did it sooner...
We just didn’t realise how much we were consuming...!!!

I’ve really taken to the minimalist lifestyle and figured less is more. Not buying crap for the sake of it and recycling and donating things I no longer use.
We need to re-think how GDP is a measure of how well a country or population is doing.

Perhaps it’s an age thing. But I’m far happier when I’m just surfing or cycling or spending time with loved ones.
The act of buying new things for happiness has long expired.

The whole world collaborated in eliminating the production of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) in the 80s, because they were damaging the ozone layer. I wonder why we are unable to react now.

Guys... we are all here because we bought something that is a luxury and none of us really needs it. Just for fun, because camping in a tent wasn‘t comfortable enough. We have 3 batteries on board that will have to be eventually disposed of, two of which are even called „leasure batteries“, that gives you an idea how vital they are. If it‘s cold we have a diesel heater. We move 3 tons burning diesel, engine made by a manufacturer known for questionable honesty towards the environmental rules to put it mildly. Let‘s be honest , we also like to spoil ourselves a bit.
Where i think the problem is though, our political class are clueless and we are developing the wrong alternatives which are not going to solve the problem. Ask an engineer how much co2 is used on the construction of carbon wind propeller. How much co2 is required to extract the rear earth elements to produce batteries for electric cars.
Nuclear is bad, so we burn coal and emit co2 to produce electricity . The plastic bottles that pollute the oceans that Hamilton picked up etc, it‘s not our bottles. They haven‘t been taken from our rubbish disposal centers in uk or europe and damped in the Atlantic. But there are some other countries , that do use the oceans as disposal. Forcing me to change car because it pollutes costs me money and achieves nothing when China and India pollute the way they do, or when half of the country is still burning oil to heat their badly insulated houses.
It‘s not the end of the rant because I could go on for while still, but I‘ll stop here anyway, should be enough to collect some hate.Apologies.

The whole world collaborated in eliminating the production of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) in the 80s, because they were damaging the ozone layer. I wonder why we are unable to react now.
Things are changing more rapidly than many of us realise. Think how much cleaner a diesel car is today compared with 20 years ago. There are now whole days without Britain generating any electricity from coal; soon it will be whole weeks.

More needs to happen, and the pace of change needs to accelerate, but I’m confident that change will happen.

So So True, as the title of this thread.

europe-population-change2.gif

And the UK is projected to fare worse than most. At least it should keep house prices buoyant.
I'm really NOT trying to change the subject but a lot of those changes, plus AND minus, have to do with migration.

I'm really NOT trying to change the subject but a lot of those changes, plus AND minus, have to do with migration.
I suggests that even with ~1.5 million migrants coming into Europe over the next four decades, the population across vast swathes of Europe is forecast to decline. In seems that humans are unique in the animal kingdom: the better fed they are the less they procreate. An apple is not the temptation the Old Testament might have us believe.

The over population argument may soon be an old one.
In the next few years we may have reached 'peak' population and the global population will then be on a permanent decline.
This is mainly due to a rising global 'middle class' who tend to have less children.
One could argue that rapid development in China, India, Africa etc. including coal fired power station and little regard to emissions will actually pull people into the middle classes more quickly, hence having less children more quickly, which will actually result in less emissions in the long run.

Personally, I don't have any children.
So I can run a Cali and fly long haul and my lifetime emissions will always be less than Greta's mum and dads Lol

Here's my 2p

Good stuff
No kids either but two dogs.
Dogs on raw food from a local company (relative).
Two hybrids vehicles, 4kwp solar array.
Low energy bulbs throughout and have done so for the last 15years.
The thermostat rarely goes above 18 degrees. (if the heat in on in the first place). No heating at night.
Our energy provider is Bulb so green.
No long haul flights, however, I have been away for work. So 4 flights to Europe / UK in the last 20years.
Renewed appliances are based on energy consumption so double or triple-A is a requirement.
No big-ticket items apart from cars / Cali, but no great urge to replace for an T6 or 6.1. Last TV purchase was in 2011
Sodastream! This has cut our single-use bottle consumption down by 95%.
Prefer to walk. So I'll walk to town rather than drive. (Suprised by the number of people who will drive short distances and spend longer sitting in the car )
Work close to home. 2mile (Wife is 11miles)
Typically have Gusto food delivery (a lot less packaging)
Ride to work where possible

Bad stuff.
No kids
I have too many vehicles and a 4.4 V8 petrol Discovery.
We have a four-bed family home when there are only two of us + 2 dogs.
My garden is artificial and doesn't offer anything for the wildlife or atmosphere.
I don't recycle water (no plants though or grass)
I don't have a battery storage system on my PV system (currently looking into this...again)
We don't support or fund green issues or incentives
We both work and are business owners and therefore will be perceived as bad (by the lefties)!

I don't consider myself to be green but considerate.

What's your set up and how could you improve?

Last edited: