Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So what else do I need

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Well new Cali (new to me) is due to arrive on Tuesday and now getting excited. It's a July 2022 T6.1 Ocean 204 dsg and seems to have a really good spec - see attached.

Bearing in mind 90% of our holidays are in Scotland (May & Sept/Oct - never in summer) and soon to be also in Ireland after our sons wedding in Aug so very rarely in hot weather I'm wondering what else I need to buy? Items we have already are the usual 25m hook-up cable, simple Fuel Lagoon screen cover (from our T5 so assume it won't fit) as we like totally black out at night, a simple zip in sunshade, levelling chocks, all the usual cooking kit including outdoor gas cooker and ali collapsable tables and chairs that come out of bags!

What else do I really need to get?? Is a Cali topper essential as we'll always be sleeping downstairs; what about hose to fill water tank (assume suitable for drinking). We do have a PortaPotti 335 - will this fit under the hob/sink? I'm also thinking of a simple small awning quick to put up and take down. We had a Vango Siesta which wasn't driveaway but that's going with my old van. Doesn't need to be driveaway as we don't stop anywhere too long and if we do we walk from camper or go off on our electric bikes and what about tie down straps for Cali awning? Is the Fiamma Premium Awning Tie Down S Kit in the club shop the dogs b*****ks?

Thanks in anticipation

Well new Cali (new to me) is due to arrive on Tuesday and now getting excited. It's a July 2022 T6.1 Ocean 204 dsg and seems to have a really good spec - see attached.

Bearing in mind 90% of our holidays are in Scotland (May & Sept/Oct - never in summer) and soon to be also in Ireland after our sons wedding in Aug so very rarely in hot weather I'm wondering what else I need to buy? Items we have already are the usual 25m hook-up cable, simple Fuel Lagoon screen cover (from our T5 so assume it won't fit) as we like totally black out at night, a simple zip in sunshade, levelling chocks, all the usual cooking kit including outdoor gas cooker and ali collapsable tables and chairs that come out of bags!

What else do I really need to get?? Is a Cali topper essential as we'll always be sleeping downstairs; what about hose to fill water tank (assume suitable for drinking). We do have a PortaPotti 335 - will this fit under the hob/sink? I'm also thinking of a simple small awning quick to put up and take down. We had a Vango Siesta which wasn't driveaway but that's going with my old van. Doesn't need to be driveaway as we don't stop anywhere too long and if we do we walk from camper or go off on our electric bikes and what about tie down straps for Cali awning? Is the Fiamma Premium Awning Tie Down S Kit in the club shop the dogs b*****ks?

Thanks in anticipation
Tie down kit. Some side panels for awning. We have 2 x tarpaulins 8' x 6' that we use for shade or wind.

Get the Brandrup Porta Potti tray that goes in the cupboard under the sink. It’s made for the 335.

Thanks - forgot to add this spec of van

Attachments

• Spec.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 42
Get the Brandrup Porta Potti tray that goes in the cupboard under the sink. It’s made for the 335.
We have moved our Porta Potti from the boot to the cupboard. It just sits in there with the toilet paper to the right to stop it moving around. I have seen the Brandrup tray, what is the advantage of having it?

They are expensive, it's imported from Germany, probably made in relatively small numbers and has a Brandrup sticker on it. Could the toilet move enough to jam the door maybe.

I am coming around to the quality and practicality of Brandrup. I am just in the process of replacing the carpets from the front seats to the back. I got front vw carpets with the van and purchased the 3 piece plastic ones for winter use.

So, do I need a toilet tray?

Last edited:

Thanks in anticipation
Instead of a hose a compact water funnel off Ebay is good.

Screenshot_20240508_214855_Photos.jpg

Congratulations!
We have a 3d printed funnel ideal for static filling really small really handy. The 3d printer filament should be ‘food grade’. We also have a flat pack hose with several adapters. Also ‘food grade’. This was great for a few years…
We’re now on v2 after it sprung a few leaks. All over me, naturally.
We have wind out awning sides and front. I would recommend going to town on keeping it on the ground. It’s a big sail when the wind gets up and can do a lot of damage flailing around. I saw some big awning leg ‘feet’ recently. Will try to locate and follow up. As well as a couple of drive away awnings that we use less. Readily available second hand on here - no need to buy a new one. One of ours got ripped to shreds in a storm which showed up lack of strengthening. SWMBO machined it all back up and added reinforcements where required and a whole load of hooks. I had kittens, it was inflated at the time!
We have Roger Donahue’s solar, wouldn’t be without it, although depends on how you camp and how long you stay.
Other than that, less is more. The first time we went away for a week my Wife also filled up our Discovery (with all the seats down). We truly were…
All the Gear, no Idea
Now I plead to KIS (keep it simple).
We have a garage full of spare kit options like most, you may find it worthwhile signing on for ‘for sale’ alerts.

Why take up valuable storage space putting the loo in the space under the sink? Or the boot for that matter?

Buy a folding Ottoman from Dunelm, place it over the loo upside down with the lid on and hey presto , a loo hidden in plain sight and a footstool/extra seat all in one go (even looks like it was meant to be there!)

Not one person who has ever been in our van knew it was a loo :thumb

Congratulations!
We have a 3d printed funnel ideal for static filling really small really handy. The 3d printer filament should be ‘food grade’. We also have a flat pack hose with several adapters. Also ‘food grade’. This was great for a few years…
We’re now on v2 after it sprung a few leaks. All over me, naturally.
We have wind out awning sides and front. I would recommend going to town on keeping it on the ground. It’s a big sail when the wind gets up and can do a lot of damage flailing around. I saw some big awning leg ‘feet’ recently. Will try to locate and follow up. As well as a couple of drive away awnings that we use less. Readily available second hand on here - no need to buy a new one. One of ours got ripped to shreds in a storm which showed up lack of strengthening. SWMBO machined it all back up and added reinforcements where required and a whole load of hooks. I had kittens, it was inflated at the time!
We have Roger Donahue’s solar, wouldn’t be without it, although depends on how you camp and how long you stay.
Other than that, less is more. The first time we went away for a week my Wife also filled up our Discovery (with all the seats down). We truly were…
All the Gear, no Idea
Now I plead to KIS (keep it simple).
We have a garage full of spare kit options like most, you may find it worthwhile signing on for ‘for sale’ alerts.
Thank you - hose looks good and will have a sniff around. Our water where we live in mid-Norfolk is quite hard and so is refreshing to drink so I thought it'd be nice to fill tank from here - good idea but the nearest (well only tap as others are on sinks) is at the back of our home so I'd need 2 of those hoses - it's 8.5m from garage door to back door through garage so then need extra 3 m to tap and then about 4m to where Cali will be parked. Having said that I suppose if I get a good quality watering can I can fill it like that so only need hose on a site perhaps................mind you taht's a lot of water in the tank! On the awning I'd normally consider winding it in if high winds forecast but I'll get a good guy system like the best one on club shop. We are hardened campers and know what we're doing with tents (been up mountains in howling gales and very windy camp sites and never yet lost a tent (or an awning on camper). I'm quite happy deploying other guys and proper double pegging. I had considered solar to help keep batteries topped up here at home as good sky cover; we have solar PV and thermal and yesterday PV exported 13kW to the grid and thermal had my tank at 78 deg!

Thanks in anticipation
Hi. I bought a hose and connectors. 2nd time out, the water ran out and I had to wind top down, fold in the awning and then drive to the water point And then reverse the process. 4th time out, I misjudged the amount going in and overfilled the tank. Result: quite a lot of leakage in the rear of the van and it shorted the shower pump, which kept coming on. So I bought a funnel with a flexible spout from Halfords, a 5 litre water can and I can top up the tank whenever I want and to an exact amount.

regarding the awning tie downs - essential. But I bought a length of 8mm nylon rope which threads through the holes at the top of each leg and by using a loop and bight approach onto the peg in the ground, I have a secure awning. Total cost £8

Hi. I bought a hose and connectors. 2nd time out, the water ran out and I had to wind top down, fold in the awning and then drive to the water point And then reverse the process. 4th time out, I misjudged the amount going in and overfilled the tank. Result: quite a lot of leakage in the rear of the van and it shorted the shower pump, which kept coming on. So I bought a funnel with a flexible spout from Halfords, a 5 litre water can and I can top up the tank whenever I want and to an exact amount.

regarding the awning tie downs - essential. But I bought a length of 8mm nylon rope which threads through the holes at the top of each leg and by using a loop and bight approach onto the peg in the ground, I have a secure awning. Total cost £8
Might be worth checking the water connection or someone do it. I’ve not had that happen nor heard of it on the forum (not that I sit on here constantly stalking every thread and it could be one of my 4900 + unread ones).
I stop the flow by just bending the hose, let it drip dry and bring it with us. The sites I’ve visited don’t have anything like that. The five litre solution seems a better one when you’re pitched.

Might be worth checking the water connection or someone do it. I’ve not had that happen nor heard of it on the forum (not that I sit on here constantly stalking every thread and it could be one of my 4900 + unread ones).
I stop the flow by just bending the hose, let it drip dry and bring it with us. The sites I’ve visited don’t have anything like that. The five litre solution seems a better one when you’re pitched.
Yes, I was somewhat surprised. I’ve kept the hose as back up, so I put 10 litres in at home with the water can and then top up with another 5 when I arrive. When wild camping it’s 20 litres before I set off.

Another thought for you….. just fill the tank up before you leave home. We keep ours full so that it is always ready to go (along with food, bedding, clothes etc) at the drop of a hat. As a percentage of total van weight 30kgs of water is nothing

Thanks in anticipation
You know what you really need…… midge repellent :D

Brilliant things.

You know what you really need…… midge repellent :D
That's always on hand in car, camper, rucsac etc - never without Smidge (and in date) :) Thankfully we seem to avoid them i early May and late Sept........

Another thought for you….. just fill the tank up before you leave home. We keep ours full so that it is always ready to go (along with food, bedding, clothes etc) at the drop of a hat. As a percentage of total van weight 30kgs of water is nothing
We're like that; everything is in van apart from food & water. Normally we just walk out the front door at around 5.30 am or earlier with our overnight bag and we're off, normally around Tyndrum or Dunkeld mid-afternoon depending on which side we're going whether North/north west or Skye direction - roughly 500 miles but we are lucky being just under 2 miles from A11 so dual carriageway/motorway all the way to either Erskine bridge or nearly Dunkeld itself so just set ACC to 70 and away we go. Must admit we don't faff around.

Brilliant things.
Do they work well??

I like having seat covers so I don't have to be careful about spills, sunscreen or wet clothes.
Jury is out on that one for us at moment - they're pretty expensive and we never had them on our T5 which we had for 9 years - no marks but then we often throw a fleece over them

Now the question about the bellows.

Cali - or as it looks to be called 'The Hoff' - yes work it out............................is due to arrive tomorrow and the only thing I seem to be a little squeaky and liable to worry about is the bellows and shutting the roof getting it trapped and rip................................Am I over worrying or is it worth a bellows bungee? What detrimental effect could one have if it were fitted loose enough??

Now the question about the bellows.

Cali - or as it looks to be called 'The Hoff' - yes work it out............................is due to arrive tomorrow and the only thing I seem to be a little squeaky and liable to worry about is the bellows and shutting the roof getting it trapped and rip................................Am I over worrying or is it worth a bellows bungee? What detrimental effect could one have if it were fitted loose enough??
I doubt you'll need one, we ditched ours years ago.
Just follow the instructions and take extra care if its windy.

On our maiden trip in Croatia last week I had a similar incident, water in the van, pump coming on by itself, etc. Before the trip I filled the tank with a hose at home, not measuring how much goes in. I thought that it must be some overfill opening so when it is full, excess runs out. So it was doing, I thought. I do not understand the system fully. Also, to access that camping site I had to reverse 25 meters on a steep incline. Was water draining inside the van already then but I have not noticed it till later?

So... how to safely fill the tank? Measure the amount coming in? And what if I just want to "top it off" and do not know how much is still there? Empty everything? Please share more thoughts on how to prevent what happened to me and to ParachuteMan. Thanks.

Does the water make it self obvious? I fill ours until water gushes back out :eek: Come to think of it, does this only happen if you have the shower unit fitted? (We don’t)

Back