Baby Boomer Generation194619645674
Generation X (Baby Bust)196519794155
Xennials197519853545
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
iGen / Gen Z19952012825
Gen Alpha2013202517
(*age if still alive today)

Note: Dates are approximate and there is some overlap because there are no standard definitions for when a generation begins and ends. See the section below about why this overlap.

Notes on Each of the Latest Cultural Generations

iGen / Gen Z: Born between 1995 and 2012

As of 2017 most of these folks are still too young to have made an impact. However the older ones might be fighting our war in Afghanistan. The younger ones are hopefully still in school and planning on careers and jobs that will have strong demand and generate new opportunities.
I'm personally optimistic about the iGen'ers.
According to Jean Twenge PhD., author of "iGen, Why Today's Super-Connected Kids are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy ....", iGens are different in these respects:
(Jean Twenge's writings on generations differs from others. She uses historical surveys and 1 on 1 interviews, rather than just theorizing and speculating. She is a serious researcher, and a professor at San Diego University)
iGen'ers are:
  • Much more tolerant of others - different cultures, sexual orientations, races
  • More cautious, less risk taking
  • Less drinking and drug taking in high school
  • Less likely to go to church
  • More likely to think for themselves and not believe authority figures in church or government
  • Delaying having serious romantic relationships
  • Less teen pregnancy
  • Fewer run aways
  • Delaying driving, and fewer teen driving accidents
  • Less time spent in shopping malls
  • Less likely to go out to see a movie
  • More likely to use Instagram than Facebook

Whereas Millenials were raised to think they were special and that they could become anything they dreamed of, and then after graduating they found that Boomers had let millions of jobs slip out of the country, iGen'ers have seen this, and are far more cautious and less optimistic and maybe less naive.

On the potentially negative side, iGens are known for:
  • Less "in person" and "face to face" contact with others due to more time connecting via smart phones
  • Heavy use of gaming
  • Less reading of books, and newspapers
  • Grew up more supervised, more protected than prior generations
  • Less experience with teen jobs and earning money in high school
  • May stay up till 2 AM using smart phone and social media
  • Possibly more depressed than prior generations
  • Feels more lonely, and not needed
  • Possibly a higher suicide rate

The Millennials grew up and began their careers in a time when:
  • Almost every home (except 3rd world countries) had an internet connection and a computer
  • 2008, the largest economic decline since the great depression
  • 911 Terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon
  • The effect of 20+ years of offshoring of American jobs is finally felt
  • Enron - energy trading scams and corporate fraud on a national level
  • Global warming becoming obvious with unusually severe storms, hotter weather, colder weather, more droughts etc
  • President G. W. Bush, Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney deceived the entire nation about weapons of mass destruction of the nuclear and biological type and the subsequent invasion and occupation of Iraq
  • The explosive growth in online companies such as Google, Facebook, SalesForce.com, LinkedIn, EBay, PayPal
  • A revolution in the way we work, including widespread acceptance of flex-time, work from home, freelancing
  • The US is divided 50:50 with different and opposite fundamental beliefs and values
  • Way too many crazy people are shooting their fellow Americans with weapons of rapid destruction
  • Congress becoming dysfunctional
  • Housing prices growing beyond most young people's reach

Xennials

The cohort known as "Xennials" are composed of the oldest Millenials. This is a "crossover generation."
Born roughly between 1975 and 1985 plus or minus a few years.
The idea being that Xennials are more like the preceding Gen X than they are like Millenials.
According to Australian Sociologist, Dan Woodman, "The theory goes that the Xennials dated, and often formed ongoing relationships, pre-social media. They usually weren't on Tinder or Grindr, for their first go at dating at least. They called up their friends and the person they wanted to ask out on a landline phone, hoping that it wasn't their intended date's parent who picked up."

Gen X: Born between 1965 and 1979

According to WikiPedia, Gen X was originally called "Gen Bust" because their birth rate was vastly smaller than the preceding Baby Boomers.
Gen X'ers were the first generation to experience:
  • The highest level of education in the US to date
  • The 1976 Arab Oil Debacle and the first gas shortages in the US
  • The price of gold soaring to $1000/oz for the first time
  • The fall of the Berlin Wall and the splitting apart of the Soviet Union
  • MTV and the rise of Disco
  • China's momentary flirtation with personal freedom and the tragedy of Tiananmen Square
  • Fighting in the first Gulf War
  • NAFTA where President Bill Clinton paves the way to give away millions of American jobs

Baby Boomers: Born between 1946 and 1964

Baby Boomers are defined as being from the huge population increase that followed World War II, and the Great Depression.

They grew up in a time of prosperity and an absence of world wars. They were the Flower Children, taking LSD and protesting the war in Vietnam.

Unlike their parents who grew up during the Great Depression, Boomers became the great consumers. They became famous for spending every dollar they earned.
This was the first Western Generation to grow up with two cars in every garage and a chicken in every pot.
Baby Boomer spending and consumerism has fueled the world economies.
The Baby Boomers fought for environmental protection.
Baby Boomers were the first generation to experience:
  • A time of unparalleled national optimism and prosperity
  • The Cold War, fear of a nuclear attack from Russia, bomb shelters and hiding under a desk at school
  • The assassination of President John F. Kennedy
  • The assassination of Martin Luther King
  • The confidence building from putting a man on the moon
  • The incredible waste and destruction of the War in Vietnam
  • The Civil Rights Movement

The Silent Generation: Born between 1925 and 1945
Those of the Silent Generation were born during the Great Depression. Their parents were mostly of the Lost Generation.
They grew up expecting a hard life. This was the era when a Christmas present might be a orange or a full meal.
They are called the Silent Generation because as a group they were not loud. They did not protest in Washington. There were no major wars to protest.

The Greatest Generation: Born between 1910 and 1924
Those of the Greatest Generation grew up during the Great Depression and probably fought in World War II. They are also known as the GI Joe Generation.

They are the parents of the Baby Boomers.

They were named the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw, famous News Broadcaster. Brokaw said they were the greatest because they fought for what was right rather than fighting for selfish reasons.
They certainly made great self sacrifices, fighting to protect people in other countries from the likes of Hitler, Mussolini and Japanese Kamikaze suicide bombers.
Makes one wonder what they will call those bankers and insurance company executives who fought only for personal gain thus creating the 2007-2009 financial collapse.

Very interesting.

Baby Boomer

Born 1945 but a Baby Boomer. Always had an orange in the Xmas stocking though but don't fit the Silent Generation.

I hate generalist titles but from a British perspective:

I am a boomer:

I was born during rationing and post-war hardship, where my snotrags were pieces of cloth cut from old and worn out sheets and sweets, butter, fresh meat were almost impossible to buy.

I was privileged beyond measure for a year after I was born I would become sheltered by one of the greatest pieces of social legislation ever, the creation of the NHS.

My teachers at school often did not go to university. They were ex servicemen and women who went on a teacher supply course upon demobilisation. My academic education may have been limirted by this but my education in life was immeasurable.

My first home was a prefab on a bomb site and my playground were the ruins of bombed out buildings. As Winston Churchill once said "the world will be a much darker and dangerous place when we have leaders who have not experienced the horror of war". Sadly this is what today's generation is going to have to face.

I fought for nuclear disarmament, protested against the Vietnam war and campaigned for civil rights for peoples across the globe , my hero's were civil rights activists and I wept openly upon the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

I benefitted by an explosion in the western world of unparalleled wealth and materialism and feel disgusted now by the poverty divide, we could and should have done better.

I feel total confidence in todays generation. They are no different to any other generation in that when called to step up to a crisis they will and they will find the tools to prevail. I was born when the possibility of total world annihilation was starting but not appreciated. Today's generation are going to have to deal with the very real reality of it happening, and they will.

Last edited:
We should add a category for the Cali accessories most valuable to each generation, ranging from a ladder and portaloo, to drop springs and front splitter.

A nice set of pigeon holes for mainly american pigeons!

My experience of being a UK baby boomer in the 1950's was somewhat different.

Reminiscent of 'Little Boxes':-
Paddy (Mrs Borris) baby boomer, but no car in our family for the majority of my childhood and few holidays, but lots of simple fun:-
Bravely trapping wasps in jam jars

Catching crickets off lavender bushes to feed to the cat

Making plob castles on the beach (dripping wet sand to make bulbous towers) - we lived at Westgate-on-Sea from late 1961 for 10 years

Catching and releasing minute crabs

Carving wet chalk rocket with flint and mussel shells

Making boats out of sand on the beach

Making crazy golf-style 'courses' on the beach for old tennis balls (sand again)

Playing Hare and Hounds using chalk on pavements

Making a series of jumps for the dog in the garden

Doing jigsaws (I still love them) while our mother read wonderful wholesome books to us (even as young teenagers) - Noël Streatfield (of 'Ballet Shoes' fame) and 'Anne of Green Gables' series, plus the 'Little Women' series etc.

One thing my younger sister and I enjoyed was usually undertaken when we knew Mummy was out for a while (later teenage years) which involved taking the old upright piano to pieces and dusting and reassembling all the keys etc (they are numbered). !!!!!!

Simple pleasures!!:happy

Early Generation X

Riding my bike all day

Playing on bomb sites (yes, even in the mid 70s there were a plethora of bomb sites shielded by flimsy corrugated iron in SE London)

Race riots at the bottom of our road.

35p Red Bus Rover (an all day bus pass for London's busses).

Electronic cash registers.

Summer of 1976.

The change in meaning of queer from peculiar to homosexual.

The change in meaning of spunk from courage to semen.

Silver jubilee street parties.

Wim aka Hotel California ....no more no less.
People who make up those lists , what do you call them ?

The Generations
Which Generation are You?
By
Michael T. Robinson

Generation NameBirths
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
The Interbellum Generation19011913107119
The Greatest Generation1910192496110
The Silent Generation192519457595
Xennials197519853545
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
iGen / Gen Z19952012825
Gen Alpha2013202517

Note: Dates are approximate and there is some overlap because there are no standard definitions for when a generation begins and ends. See the section below about why this overlap.

As of 2017 most of these folks are still too young to have made an impact. However the older ones might be fighting our war in Afghanistan. The younger ones are hopefully still in school and planning on careers and jobs that will have strong demand and generate new opportunities.
According to Jean Twenge PhD., author of "iGen, Why Today's Super-Connected Kids are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy ....", iGens are different in these respects:
(Jean Twenge's writings on generations differs from others. She uses historical surveys and 1 on 1 interviews, rather than just theorizing and speculating. She is a serious researcher, and a professor at San Diego University)
iGen'ers are:
  • More likely to think for themselves and not believe authority figures in church or government
  • Less teen pregnancy
  • Fewer run aways

Whereas Millenials were raised to think they were special and that they could become anything they dreamed of, and then after graduating they found that Boomers had let millions of jobs slip out of the country, iGen'ers have seen this, and are far more cautious and less optimistic and maybe less naive.

• Less "in person" and "face to face" contact with others due to more time connecting via smart phones
  • Heavy use of gaming

• Almost every home (except 3rd world countries) had an internet connection and a computer
  • Global warming becoming obvious with unusually severe storms, hotter weather, colder weather, more droughts etc
  • President G. W. Bush, Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney deceived the entire nation about weapons of mass destruction of the nuclear and biological type and the subsequent invasion and occupation of Iraq
  • The explosive growth in online companies such as Google, Facebook, SalesForce.com, LinkedIn, EBay, PayPal
  • A revolution in the way we work, including widespread acceptance of flex-time, work from home, freelancing
  • The US is divided 50:50 with different and opposite fundamental beliefs and values
  • Way too many crazy people are shooting their fellow Americans with weapons of rapid destruction

Xennials

The cohort known as "Xennials" are composed of the oldest Millenials. This is a "crossover generation."
The idea being that Xennials are more like the preceding Gen X than they are like Millenials.
According to Australian Sociologist, Dan Woodman, "The theory goes that the Xennials dated, and often formed ongoing relationships, pre-social media. They usually weren't on Tinder or Grindr, for their first go at dating at least. They called up their friends and the person they wanted to ask out on a landline phone, hoping that it wasn't their intended date's parent who picked up."

According to WikiPedia, Gen X was originally called "Gen Bust" because their birth rate was vastly smaller than the preceding Baby Boomers.
  • China's momentary flirtation with personal freedom and the tragedy of Tiananmen Square
  • NAFTA where President Bill Clinton paves the way to give away millions of American jobs

Baby Boomers are defined as being from the huge population increase that followed World War II, and the Great Depression.

They grew up in a time of prosperity and an absence of world wars. They were the Flower Children, taking LSD and protesting the war in Vietnam.

Unlike their parents who grew up during the Great Depression, Boomers became the great consumers. They became famous for spending every dollar they earned.
This was the first Western Generation to grow up with two cars in every garage and a chicken in every pot.
  • The Cold War, fear of a nuclear attack from Russia, bomb shelters and hiding under a desk at school

Those of the Silent Generation were born during the Great Depression. Their parents were mostly of the Lost Generation.
They grew up expecting a hard life. This was the era when a Christmas present might be a orange or a full meal.
They are called the Silent Generation because as a group they were not loud. They did not protest in Washington. There were no major wars to protest.

Those of the Greatest Generation grew up during the Great Depression and probably fought in World War II. They are also known as the GI Joe Generation.

They were named the Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw, famous News Broadcaster. Brokaw said they were the greatest because they fought for what was right rather than fighting for selfish reasons.
They certainly made great self sacrifices, fighting to protect people in other countries from the likes of Hitler, Mussolini and Japanese Kamikaze suicide bombers.
Makes one wonder what they will call those bankers and insurance company executives who fought only for personal gain thus creating the 2007-2009 financial collapse.
Xennial here! 43 years young...

The Generations
By
Michael T. Robinson

Generation NameBirths
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
The Interbellum Generation19011913107119
The Greatest Generation1910192496110
The Silent Generation192519457595
Xennials197519853545
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
iGen / Gen Z19952012825
Gen Alpha2013202517

iGen'ers are:
  • Less teen pregnancy
  • Fewer run aways

• Heavy use of gaming

Xennials

These general descriptions are obviously hopelessly inaccurate, my boomer chums vary dramatically from out and out hippies to some who are philosophically to the right of Genghis Khan.
The same variation occurs through all the generations, thankfully most take all this stuff with a huge pinch of salt.

I think I am more of an Xennial than a Millenial. I didn't know I could be categorised like that?

But as I don't really want te be categorised, I am more like a Californian, oh, wait...

Californian driving a California which has never been available in California. I thought I moved to Europe because of my work, but now I see the truth. I could be any of these categories. (Facebook would not let me eliminate my age, so it now says I'm 112) Edit: my friends laugh every time they open the door, ask me where I had it "done"...

Last edited:
Generation X......

Back