Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Berghaus Edition - So what do we know??

S

Stu

Guest User
I'd like to have a clearer idea of the situation surrounding the Berghaus which may possibly lead to a 'register' for interested owners, as there are only 80 they are reasonably unique (more on that later)

So what do I know??

Well as above there were only 80 examples of this model, available in 3 colours (Natural Grey, Reflex Silver and Olympian Blue), as yet I don't know the breakdown of these colours.

I got hold of the chassis number for my van today and asked a friend with access to the VAG system to get me some info on it. The first thing I found was that the van was actually built on 19th August last year so it's been hanging around for a while. (this might give a clue to why discounts can be had for those buying at the moment - there is likely an extra bonus on these vehicles to clear them this quarter)

From the info I got (PR Codes) I can also see that the van left the factory with 17" wheels which goes some way to confirm my suspicion that the Berghaus was likely 'born' on the dockside at Sheerness. It also carries a PR code which indicates 'Not Special Edition'.
I've seen this practice done before with Skoda Octavia Limited Edition so I know it happens. They probably order the vans up to a specification and then change the wheels, add the badges etc and hey presto a Special Edition.

I spoke to VW Customer Svcs last week and asked them to provide the info but as yet I've not heard. I also requested that they consider giving the vans unique serial numbers based on the chassis number, so numbered 1 - 80 in order of the build. They did this with the Golf GTi Edition 30 and gave the owners a unique plate to fix to the dashboard.

If anyone else has any info I'd be interested to know, so please share. :thumb

For those interested to see what the PR codes are, file attached -

Attachments

• Stus Camper.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 75
Hi Stu,

I am also a Berghaus owner but I am missing your point. To me the Berghaus is basically a standard 180 Cali with an options pack added somewhere after it left the production line and before it arrived with me. I am not particularly interested where to be honest. I picked mine up three weeks ago and found whilst looking in all the cupboards, drawers etc something signed in German dated July last year so I assume it was made then. I saw it as my great fortune that one with virtually all the options I wanted (plus lots more more actually) was available in 2 weeks from order rather than many months.

I went for the Berghaus not because of any exclusivity but because the options are really useful for me. The bike rack is great as the family go cycling and it holds 4 bikes, the car seat covers essential as I have 3 dogs, the awning because I wanted one of those, the sleeping bags / rucksack (even hats and gloves) useful as my son is doing his Bronze DOE award and my Daughter her Gold DOE. The alloys look great and to finish it off the Berghaus mats and badge on the side go really well with the wonderful Blue colour.

So I am really happy and wouldnt mind if there were 10,000 of them and they had been on the dockside for years. It gave me what I wanted when I wanted it - oh and the great discount was the icing on the cake :grin:

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine - which I will enjoy even better when it come back from the bodyshop on Saturday (that trauma is mentioned in another post if your want to read that sorry tale :boohoo

Doug

Hi doug & stu ......

I agree with both your points for the berghaus edition of the cali ,but would side slightly with stu if i'm honest.
The bus is being marketed as a ltd edition and if it's just some bolt on goodies or if someone actually thought this berghaus up and wanted to create an edition that will help the cali hold it's residual value even more than it already does then i'm up for that. I think that it should be shown somewhere that the edition was of an amount and the bus isn't a copy. Strangely some people ,as i have done it before looked at a car and knowing they do some ltd edition's in that range looked for one to buy and if not found then purchased a spec'd version instead.

so yes i think if they call it a berghaus edition then it should be shown or why bother .. it's not as if they have trouble selling the cali ,as i've had a mission to buy one and considering today to maybe go back to original plan of a used one .( but used prices are very high) :laugh2

Doug,

Don't get me wrong I took a Berghaus for very similar reasons to yourself, no SE's available in free stock and dealers knowing the ones they have will fetch a premium, not to mention a very attractive price. It also had pretty much all of the options I would have chosen and I guess that VW built them at that spec for exactly that reason.

In terms of the Berghaus Pack, there is nothing in there that is of use to me so that will remain boxed up and put away for originality of the Van come resale time. After all if I sell it in 3 years time who's going to want a sleeping bag that's been slept in for the preceding 3 years?? :shocked

I don't think that you can ignore the fact that the van is 9 months old before you get it. OK so it's not dramatic or a deal breaker - perhaps more a point of interest.

Regardless of your, or indeed mine, reasons for buying the Berghaus it is one of a very limited edition (albeit a somewhat simplistic creation) and for that reason carries a premium over an SE. Again probably not by much by the time you come to sell it but at purchase if you'd paid RRP there was.

I'm due to pick her up on Saturday and I really can't wait. :thumb

Stu ...have a price up of the extra's and i think you'll be surprised that it's probably the same money as spec'in an SE ....the dealer had a rough look ( the pack set is deffo not extra)

Berghaus OTR - £47,995.00

SE OTR £45,515.00

The Berghaus includes as standard (Over SE) -

Met Paint - £595.00
Black Side Awning - £385.00
Bike Rack - £475.00

Sub Total - £46,970.00

The wheels are an option at £260 x 4 = £1040. The normal 'Thunder' wheels are a £540 option so you could subtract that and say the Dakar's are a £500 premium.

Seat Covers are from £80.00 and Carpet Mats from £32.00

Did I miss anything?? Makes those sleeping bags look a little expensive to me.

Awning seems cheap to me stu ? That's over £200 less than a fiamma or not ?

choplee said:
Awning seems cheap to me stu ? That's over £200 less than a fiamma or not ?

It's in the brochure Lee -

Silver is £550.00
Black is £385.00

Not sure if all Berghaus get the cheaper Black one.

So if the awning price is right its about £400 for the badges and pack ...lol
Unless there's more that we don't know ... ?

Let's hope it says on the log book it's a berghaus edition ,so that little extra outlay may help with a resale in the future ..:)

One thing I can't understand is why the Berghaus, with it's "explorer/rough outdoors" image didn't come as 4Motion?!

KernowLad said:
One thing I can't understand is why the Berghaus, with it's "explorer/rough outdoors" image didn't come as 4Motion?!

Yep I agree - Perhaps it was a supply or cost issue?

Guess the 4motion would have taken the list price over the 50k mark...?

Same with the Sportline T5's they are build up by a third party once they arrive in the UK.

Interesting discussion. To me it clearly shows we all have different views on how we think about our investments in the Cali. I have always been the sort of person who buys new and then keeps it for ages. I cant see me selling the Cali for years (hopefully) so residual values are not a big priority for me. It is important, of course, that they dont lose 30% when they leave the dealer, because that feels like being ripped off, but apart from that I have basically written off the cost of the Cali in my mind already and am just look forward to enjoying it over the years.

As far as the Berghaus edition is concerned as I said in a earlier post it is about getting what I want when I want it. I act very much like a spoilt kid in that once I decide I want something then I want it now - so getting something quickly would have been worth a premium to me. :grin:

As far as the list of accessories and prices are concerned I did the maths and then worked out what it would really cost me once discounts etc had been applied. As the Berghaus was on the dockside the discount was better and so it made it cost effective (more or less). :grin:

Doug

doug said:
As far as the Berghaus edition is concerned as I said in a earlier post it is about getting what I want when I want it. I act very much like a spoilt kid in that once I decide I want something then I want it now - so getting something quickly would have been worth a premium to me. :grin:

Me too. :thumb

doug said:
As far as the list of accessories and prices are concerned I did the maths and then worked out what it would really cost me once discounts etc had been applied. As the Berghaus was on the dockside the discount was better and so it made it cost effective (more or less). :grin:

Doug

I found myself in a similar situation when comparing available used vans against the new Berghaus and it's included factory options and accessories. The discount was very attractive.

Was there some sort of special deal on the Berghaus models or something?

For us the lack of 4Motion, 18" alloys (they look good but it means no spare) and the fact that we have a house full of their kit ruled it out but I can see the attraction.

Just to correct an earlier post, our seat covers (which are identical apart from the logo) listed at £188. We got them chucked in gratis though with a few other bits.

I've been a Berghaus fan since I got my Cyclops rucksack from them back in '78 which I still have. I now own 5 or 6 packs of various sizes depending on where I want to go and what I want to do, from lugging a flask of coffee around the local canal to having a crack at Mont Blanc. My wife and I were after a Cali and when we walked into the showroom + VW Commercial Vehicles in Manchester ( Alan - king of VW salesmen) back in November there it was. Took about an hour to sign on the line. My EGO loves it. My Spirit might have spent a bit more time adding up costs of sleeping bags and hats and gloves and boring stuff like that, and figuring would we have been better going for the SE instead and putting the difference into the pot for the kids university fees. But life is too short so my EGO won that day. It's as cool as hell. I would have liked the Berghaus panel on the rear of the vehicle as well just to let the fellow behind me stuck in the same queue as me feel slightly more depressed. It would appear to be a source of jealousy from several of our neighbours, which once again my EGO loves.
When you step out of it on a caravan club site in your boots and fleece I'll guarantee you'll pull your stomach in and puff your chest out in front of those caravan nerds hidden away watching their boring TVs saying "entertain me". Their wives though, might be looking at something else!
Walk the talk. Make it happen. You'll love it. Shrouds don't have pockets!
Best Wishes
Ken Welsh - Bollington

Welcome along ken great post by the way :thumb :thumb

interesting thread

i guess there are two ways of looking at a 'special edition'. Do you buy it because you get a good deal, i.e. it comes with good extras and the price reflects this. Or do you buy it because you want something exclusive and rarer.

If you go for the latter you will possibly find yourself in the situation similar to those who bought the orignal Clio Williams' in the 90's.

Aren't all editions of the Cali put together for the UK anyway - as I see it, the UK Cali's are marketed as a more luxury vehicle. in Germany the Cali's come in mid range Comfortline trim which includes steel wheels. Also the the UK Cali's with the sliding door on the wrong side of the standard T5 dash are obviously not something designed specifically for the UK or a RHD market anyway.

James

But the EGO suffers when the super outdoorsy version gets a flat or stuck in a damp campsite... ;-) :-D

Back