Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Social isolating - Not!

What PATHETIC comments. Both of you should get a Life.
Are you disagreeing with the law prohibiting travel to second homes?

Or are disagreeing with it being wrong to flout the law if you are the PM or his fiancée?

Or do you think that the law doesn't apply to the PM and his fiancée?

Or are you disagreeing for some other reason that you won't specify like Prince Charles swanning off to his second home?

So it’s ok, if I leave hospital and drive to my Beach house in Devon...???
Are you disagreeing with the law prohibiting travel to second homes?

Or are disagreeing with it being wrong to flout the law if you are the PM or his fiancée?

Or do you think that the law doesn't apply to the PM and his fiancée?

Or are you disagreeing for some other reason that you won't specify like Prince Charles swanning off to his second home?
"
Pathetic.
And if you don't realise why the Heir to the throne was sent to Scotland then you are not as intelligent as I thought.

Last edited:
"
Pathetic.
And if you don't realise why the Heir to the thrown was sent to Scotland then you are not as intelligent as I thought.

So you can’t answer or justify my above response...
Understood :thanks

Still, at least his voice has returned to offer some ironic praise to those nurses from Portugal and New Zealand who stood by his bedside during his hospitalization.

Hopefully he’ll be well enough soon to get his daily jogs underway, no doubt trying to high five everyone he meets.

Calm down, dears.

But whatever any of us personally think about Boris/Carrie/Chequers or Charles/Scotland - and I deduce from the above there may be slightly differing views - it can't be good when politicians and the royal family's actions, however well intentioned, allow the public to start to ask questions about who the rules apply to, while at the same time hearing "we're all in this together".

In public life generally, if you are one of the privileged, a good principle is to be like "Caesar's wife: Above suspicion" (ie you should never place yourself in a position where your conduct could even be questioned).

He might want to go and get his Cadac out and have a chilled out bbq
and an easter egg hunt.

So it’s ok, if I leave hospital and drive to my Beach house in Devon...???

I would say yes if that was the best place for you to convalesce.

Regardless of what you were in hospital for.

NHS would want you to get better.

We would all like you to get better.

Mike

Surely things are slightly different for those people that have had the virus. As far as I understand it the assumption is that they won't get it again. Borris may well have been advised by those treating him that going back to the office to convalesce wasn't advisable. The temptatation to get involved too soon could be too much to resist and could retard his recovery.

Surely things are slightly different for those people that have had the virus. As far as I understand it the assumption is that they won't get it again. Borris may well have been advised by those treating him that going back to the office to convalesce wasn't advisable. The temptatation to get involved too soon could be too much to resist and could retard his recovery.
Agree, if the rationale behind stopping travel to second homes is to stop burdening local hospitals with people from outside their normal catchment, then it shouldn’t matter, assuming he is now safe from further infection.

I read a report yesterday about hundreds of Wuhan residents who'd had severe difficulties with Coronavirus, now recovered, and testing positive once more for coronavirus but being asymptomatic.

The report said it was uncertain if asymptomatic they could pass on the virus.

I'm sorry, but I do not have a link to the report, but if I do find it, I will edit this post.

This is going to be a problem soon I think. At the moment, the lockdown is the lockdown and it applies to everyone. It is sustained through broad public consent, and by collective example - when you do go out you see the roads are deserted.

If/when we reach the stage when people say "I've had the virus, I don't need to lockdown now" the movement restrictions will presumably start to fray unless there is some kind of antibody certification and it seems we're still some way off that.

It may not matter too much by then if restrictions are being gradually lifted anyway, but it will be hard to control.

When we start to condemn the leader of a country going through it's worst emergency in living memory for going somewhere quiet to convalesce then it's a good sign that social distancing is being applied and peeps are getting bored out of their heads.

The idea of a Prime Minister needing to rest returning home to a house being used as a frantic seat of government is, imho, absurd.

In terms of the tittle tattle surrounding his partner, well, remember you read it in a newspaper that two years ago had as it's editorial leader "Sack the docs", the Sun's answer to people standing up to dickhead Jeremy Hunt.

Last edited:
I read a report yesterday about hundreds of Wuhan residents who'd had severe difficulties with Coronavirus, now recovered, and testing positive once more for coronavirus but being asymptomatic.

The report said it was uncertain if asymptomatic they could pass on the virus.

I'm sorry, but I do not have a link to the report, but if I do find it, I will edit this post.
I’ve read a couple of reports about this. One explanation could be that these people are still testing positive after recovery and having like a dead version of the virus in their system that can’t be passed on but still shows a positive test

Agree, if the rationale behind stopping travel to second homes is to stop burdening local hospitals with people from outside their normal catchment, then it shouldn’t matter, assuming he is now safe from further infection.
Do you think that we should have a two class society:
A - recovered from Coronavirus - no travel restrictions
B - people who have followed advice and rules, for example by not shaking hands - house arrest

Either that or a confirmed infected man is now travelling to an area with possibly no confirmed cases...
And his entourage

I would say yes if that was the best place for you to convalesce.

Regardless of what you were in hospital for.

NHS would want you to get better.

We would all like you to get better.

Mike
I suppose it could be justified under item (l) of the movement restriction law.

Restrictions on movement​
6.—​
(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.​
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—​
[...]​
(l) to move house where reasonably necessary;​
[...]​

I'm not sure that would apply to the PM's fiancee.

When we start to condemn the leader of a country going through it's worst emergency in living memory for going somewhere quiet to convalesce then it's a good sign that social distancing is working and peeps are getting bored out of their heads.

The idea of a Prime Minister needing to rest returning home to a house being used as a frantic seat of government is, imho, absurd.

In terms of the tittle tattle surrounding his partner, well, remember you read it in a newspaper that two years ago had as it's editorial leader "Sack the docs", the Sun's answer to people standing up to dickhead Jeremy Hunt.

I'm going to have to disagree with the middle bit GJ. I know little or nothing of the PM's private milieu or of the setup at Chequers but I do assume that (a) Boris and Ms Symonds have a private house somewhere that they could go and stay at while he recuperates; and (b) that Chequers, being a large 'residence of state' requires significant staffing to operate while the PM is in residence whereas if not it could be mothballed for the duration, reducing the number of staff who need to be at work.

I rather suspect the decision for the PM to be at Chequers is to preserve the ridiculous notion that the PM must at all times remain at the helm, even when convalescing from a serious illness, and that government cannot possibly function without him.

Lines have been drawn positions have been taken and all hope on here now appears lost.
Speak for yourself. I for one saw a validity in your earlier argument about the need to convalesce, and saw how it might be interpreted in the existing law.