Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Software gremlins, SOS warning, infotainment system hanging

Guy.M

Guy.M

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello all, loving our new-ish MY21 199 Ocean. Thought I’d share this…. Some intermittent gremlins - such as the ”SOS” orange light coming on, together with orange warning triangle. Has happened a few times, sometimes at the same time as the infotainment system going on mute. Easily fixed on previous occasions by switching off, removing key and restarting. Until yesterday, when we had SOS light on, orange warning triangle, message that said “Error: emergency call. Please visit workshop”. And also infortainment system stuck permanently on “Loading user profile”. No amount of stopping and removal of key and restarting would budge it. Eventually called roadside assistance (at home), asked for a VW technician to come. Technician unable to reboot it even after plugging in his laptop and doing diagnosis. Soft reboot (holding on/off button for a long time - good tip) didn’t work. So he disconnected and reconnected the engine battery. All good after that. Roll on the software update to fix these gremlins. Need to carry the battery disconnecting spanner with us now :).

Meant to say… any of this sound familiar to anyone else?

Yup, had similar issues, SOS playing up, navigation thinking we are 5 miles from where we are.
Are all VW infotainment systems crap? The BMW system we just moved away from was light years better.

Yes exactly same situation my California. I having lady voice speaking in my camping panel from Vw give me big surprise - I think is she sitting back chair!

2 situation in driving and radio is switch off self and 5 or so minutes passing is coming back to on position self.

Is same like to having ghost in car!. I not worry for this, but is make problem when is navigation give instruction when ic critical moment switching self off.

Is must come sometimes a update but can also bring new troubles. Is better always keep mobile handy window holder and using google maps for driving not familiar locations.

Same issue started with us yesterday. SOS warning in digital cockpit then loading user profile stuck on infotainment. Have tried the power holding/resetting option and also removing the fuses and reinstalling. I’m not brave enough to disconnect the battery in case I bugger up something else so back to the dealers again!!

E6165153-F9CC-44CC-A113-63DED3B115CC.jpeg

2B55A427-D440-4193-A56D-FFE51D9B83EF.jpeg

Yup, looks familiar. Had a completely blank infotainment screen as a follow on problem. Disconnection of the battery sorted it again. Have booked it in for a look-see and fix, hopefully. You said back to the dealers “again” - have they already had a go at fixing it I wondered? Intermittent things like this are probably quite hard to resolve!

Yup, looks familiar. Had a completely blank infotainment screen as a follow on problem. Disconnection of the battery sorted it again. Have booked it in for a look-see and fix, hopefully. You said back to the dealers “again” - have they already had a go at fixing it I wondered? Intermittent things like this are probably quite hard to resolve!
No, our downstairs bench bed decided to stop working while we were camping. It got stuck in the seat position which meant we couldn’t use it at all for sleeping. Also steering wheel doesn’t sit at 12 o’clock more like 5 past. Other than this it’s been perfect!!

Another few reasons to stick with my dinosaur with it's genes from 2003.

Who needs SOS and all the other crap anyways?
EU directive for new vehicles.

Same issue started with us yesterday. SOS warning in digital cockpit then loading user profile stuck on infotainment. Have tried the power holding/resetting option and also removing the fuses and reinstalling. I’m not brave enough to disconnect the battery in case I bugger up something else so back to the dealers again!!

View attachment 83156

View attachment 83157
Mine has been doing the same for last three days...error emergency call, please visit workshop, no sos light and constantly loading user profile. Did you get yours resolved please?

At the dealers currently. They say they’ve found a few errors that they’ve fixed, and also that a software update is being worked on by VW but not ready yet…. Expect to get it back in the next few days….

Mine has been doing the same for last three days...error emergency call, please visit workshop, no sos light and constantly loading user profile. Did you get yours resolved please?
Mine is at the dealers too. It has taken this long to get a slot with a courtesy vehicle which is a big crafter van, I would have preferred a golf or polo.

Apart from the above though, it doesn’t even begin to make a dent on how much I love my camper!!! It’s weird how you can like a vehicle so much.

mines booked in for a new part......didn't even think to ask what the courtesy vehicle would be .....stupidly I assumed it would be a car! :) my daughter always get embarrassed when I pick her up in my camper...no idea why...can't wait to see her face when I turn up in a real van... :) maybe it's not the van.!

At the dealers currently. They say they’ve found a few errors that they’ve fixed, and also that a software update is being worked on by VW but not ready yet…. Expect to get it back in the next few days….
mine went into the garage for its operation today...:) pulled through fine and all working again...no new part just a software update.

Got it back from dealers, haven’t used it much but the SOS problem has reoccurred unfortunately. It’s not debilitating so we’ll press on and get them to have another look next time I can free up the van from having adventures!

mine went into the garage for its operation today...:) pulled through fine and all working again...no new part just a software update.
Mine also came up with the SOS error today. Do you know if there is some sort of reference number for the software update please? Just so when I phone the dealer I can say "you need to do blah blah blah" thank you.

the repair is shown as "software update to the multimedia unit" on invoice ....but I'm sure they will know as its a common issue..when I picked mine up everything was working but the screen said "starting navigation" for the drive home which was about 20 minutes...I switched off once home and then it was working once I restarted later...not sure whether it was updating/reloading maps after repair but OK at the moment. they also pointed out a recall code 57I1 and fixed this...bit worrying my mother in law sits in the passenger seat sometimes...:)

Due to inadequate insulation, water may penetrate into the doors through the retractable side windows. Consequently, the water may enter into the Bowden cables inside the doors and hinder the movement of the cable’s inner wire at temperatures below freezing.

As a result, the driver’s or front passenger’s door may open by itself when the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of an accident.

The Volkswagen T6.1 models affected by this recall were manufactured between 1 July 2019 and 5 May 2021.

Volkswagen recall code: 57i1
Affected models: T6 – 7HC, 7J0, 7HMA
Vehicle numbers (worldwide): 238,880

Mine is at the dealers too. It has taken this long to get a slot with a courtesy vehicle which is a big crafter van, I would have preferred a golf or polo.

Apart from the above though, it doesn’t even begin to make a dent on how much I love my camper!!! It’s weird how you can like a vehicle so much.
Just to report that a software update at the dealers fixed our issue. If you haven’t had the update yet, I would recommend getting it carried out now as once the system crashes, you have no access to anything via the screen including the all important music!!

We’ve got a 2016 Ocean. On first trip out after it had been in for mot/service the screen was in navigation mode -

1) had to reboot to get going.
2) it started jumping across the lower screen icons - as if possessed.
3) had to keep rebooting to enter next destination

Dealership said the “recall” they did whilst they had it didn’t entail touching anything to do with screen etc.

Not had time to investigate further or use navigation.

We’ve got a 2016 Ocean. On first trip out after it had been in for mot/service the screen was in navigation mode -

1) had to reboot to get going.
2) it started jumping across the lower screen icons - as if possessed.
3) had to keep rebooting to enter next destination

Dealership said the “recall” they did whilst they had it didn’t entail touching anything to do with screen etc.

Not had time to investigate further or use navigation.
Lorri, same year vehicle as yours.

I would use a vac to suck/blow out any dust around the console buttons before trying anything else. An immediate option may also be to use a computer dust cleaner compressed air spray can to get rid of dust.

If that does not solve it, may be more of an involved fix is required.

Hello all, loving our new-ish MY21 199 Ocean. Thought I’d share this…. Some intermittent gremlins - such as the ”SOS” orange light coming on, together with orange warning triangle. Has happened a few times, sometimes at the same time as the infotainment system going on mute. Easily fixed on previous occasions by switching off, removing key and restarting. Until yesterday, when we had SOS light on, orange warning triangle, message that said “Error: emergency call. Please visit workshop”. And also infortainment system stuck permanently on “Loading user profile”. No amount of stopping and removal of key and restarting would budge it. Eventually called roadside assistance (at home), asked for a VW technician to come. Technician unable to reboot it even after plugging in his laptop and doing diagnosis. Soft reboot (holding on/off button for a long time - good tip) didn’t work. So he disconnected and reconnected the engine battery. All good after that. Roll on the software update to fix these gremlins. Need to carry the battery disconnecting spanner with us now :).
We've had exactly the same issue on our T6.1- the Sos warning coming on and refusal to load user profile. Very irritating! Apparently this is an issue across a range of VW vehicles using the same head unit i.e seat, skoda etc
The solution is to press the SOS button and hold for 60 seconds. Then when the SOS system says it is going to make a call you need to manually cancel the call by pressing the sos button once again. Problem solved! (Until it happens again- apparently it is a software bug which VW is aware of but yet has to come up with a final fix...)
Peter

Got it back from dealers, haven’t used it much but the SOS problem has reoccurred unfortunately. It’s not debilitating so we’ll press on and get them to have another look next time I can free up the van from having adventures!
Hello all, just a quick update on this. Had a recall for the Bowden cables on the driver and passenger doors, and asked them to take another look at the SOS warning message at the same time. Got it back today - Bowden cables all done, and apparently a "very new" software update was installed which we're hopeful will deal with the SOS warning message recurrence. Fingers crossed. No SOS warning so far, but I've only driven it for an hour after collecting it. I'll report back on here if it reoccurs..... but hope I don't need to!

Hello all, just a quick update on this. Had a recall for the Bowden cables on the driver and passenger doors, and asked them to take another look at the SOS warning message at the same time. Got it back today - Bowden cables all done, and apparently a "very new" software update was installed which we're hopeful will deal with the SOS warning message recurrence. Fingers crossed. No SOS warning so far, but I've only driven it for an hour after collecting it. I'll report back on here if it reoccurs..... but hope I don't need to!
Hi mine is going in for the cables at the end of the month + first service ,also I still get the sos failure every so often I just turn it off then back on it then clears the fault
my dealer has said they change the sos module which seems drastic as it probably is a software issue.

I am now following this thread with interest, I wish I had found it when I searched previously. I have commented in another thread - but basically my MY21 T6.1 Ocean has been through the same set of system faults including the SOS call problem, ending up with the frozen welcome screen. Breeze managed to clear it with some sort of hard reset at the weekend, calling it a configuration issue. It wasn't clear whether they did a software update. Since then I have had a recurrence of the SOS light, which cleared itself - as usual. Nav seems slower to load on startup and I momentarily saw a screen which indicated a software update was available. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know if the update will load automatically or if it needs to be triggered in some way? When I stopped and had a look around in the settings/system menu I couldn’t find a way to do it.