Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

D

Dtcook

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
T 6.1 Defect list

Hi all, having taken delivery of our T6.1 in early Aug 2020, I thought it may be beneficial sharing a list of defects we found in the first few weeks (not to mention the flat leisure batteries on delivery and then subsequent damage the dealership made to the van when trying to resolve on the day of delivery - but that’s another story ....

I hope this helps other T6.1 buyers - I would appreciate if anyone else has had similar issues / confirm if they have the same problems.

On delivery

1. Pop top would not open - Leisure batteries were flat, we then had to wait for 4 hours while the dealer fast charged. Have since insisted these are both changed due to unknown damage.

We then noticed the following damage caused when fast charging

2. Damage to roof lining ( small rip in the middle where something had hit this)
3. Grease on driver seat
4. Marks on side of front passenger seat base frame (where the seat was removed to charge the leisure battery)

Since then we have found the following:
5. foam shower holder does not fit hole - we have been informed this is correct and there is just a technique to fitting?? - anyone else have this issue?
E845B05F-4106-4C0C-B518-5A7E4C5F841D.jpeg
6. No shelf above shower holder - have been informed VW no longer supply the shelf above the shower holder if a shower has been fitted - can anyone confirm this?
7. No fly screens supplied (drivers book does refer to fly screens being supplied…..) - have been informed VW long longer supply these....
8. torch missing from under drivers seat - replacement ordered by dealer
9. No attachments for sliding table rail (drinks holder, towel rail etc) - we have been informed VW no longer supply these for the T6.1 - can anyone confirm?
10. The waste water tank level stays on 1/3 full all the time regardless of amount filled or empty. We have been informed this is normal?
11. The fresh water gauge shows empty when there is still sufficient capacity in the tank?
12. The camping control panel charging status does not make sense - one moment is shows 53h at 13.1v with no draw on amps and another time it shows 27h at 13.3v with no amps?. This could be due to the damaged leisure batteries or could be a software issue.
13. The media pro system just hangs saying its loading user profile
5042DBC9-A520-4D21-BD23-5ED00A4C7353.jpeg
14. missing trim from below front seats but could be wrong - it just looks like there are slots for a trim to be fitted
ed736A596B-9566-445C-B16C-4BF4B18CACA8.jpeg
15. Small sliding draw under rear bench- handle does not latch back unless slamming the draw
16. Rear shelf removal and reinstatement is hindered by frame fixed on wooden bed shelf (appears slightly out of line)
17. Roof tent come away from the back right (drivers side) corner. I managed to push this back into the roof but obviously this is a major concern
0203FAD5-A776-4B90-A4A2-5C99C1F19E28.jpeg
18. Rubber. seal in front of cooking controls has a gap in front (not fitted correctly) and water can escape down into the cupboard
B8F6FE98-16C1-4E68-9238-272BF913D76F.jpeg
19. I have noticed a rubber (sponge type) between the bottom front window and dash (passengers side) - not one for the drivers side so not sure if this is missing or if the passenger side one should have been removed
B966512C-A53B-4C7D-926E-CEF09FBF2CD3.jpeg
20. The control of the lights from the camping control panel does not adjust (dim) certain lights. You can change the setting however it just reverts back to what was previously set. You can dim the light still manually - software issue?
75E12494-89AD-4EEC-A6AE-2521CFA683FD.jpeg
21. When in camping mode - radio cuts off after aprox 20 mins. I understood the radio could now be played continuously on the T6.1?
22. Heater turns itself off randomly in heat immediately mode
23. Rear AC display turns on when heater is on (heat immediately mode)
2E7EEEF5-BA9A-4D1C-A2B5-E529AD8ACA2F.jpeg
24. When heater turns itself off, the rear AC display turns off also, however a few seconds after the central locking light on drivers door switch come on and then off followed by the central nav display screen.
25. Electric door mirrors do not fold on locking van even though the option has been selected in the infotainment system.

Thanks in advance for any comments / advice.

Sht. Big list. I can only help with that bit of foam. Its surrounding the vin number. If you look through the windscreen at it. Hence why not on drivers side . The shower foam should clearly fit in the hole and have a shelf on top. Will it trim up with a Stanley knife? I'm assuming the hole is the same as the t6 for the 907 bottle. Maybe they have given you a grand california shower tray there as on the gc it sort of slides into a tray. Check your pull out table strap fits too from the headrest.
I've seen the bellows pull out before at one corner. I reckon you will need new bellows fitting there as it will continue to come out. Especially in hot weather. Dont let them fob you off with that on. Its damaged anyway isn't it.

Last edited:
Sht. Big list. I can only help with that bit of foam. Its surrounding the vin number. If you look through the windscreen at it. Hence why not on drivers side . The shower foam should clearly fit in the hole and have a shelf on top. Will it trim up with a Stanley knife? I'm assuming the hole is the same as the t6 for the 907 bottle. Maybe they have given you a grand california shower tray there as on the gc it sort of slides into a tray. Check your pull out table strap fits too from the headrest.
I've seen the bellows pull out before at one corner. I reckon you will need new bellows fitting there as it will continue to come out. Especially in hot weather. Dont let them fob you off with that on. Its damaged anyway isn't it.
Follow this with interest, your dealer needs to pull his finger out.

Point 14, look correct as per brochure and this screenshot of a 6.1

Screenshot 2020-09-12 at 07.20.27.png

Why did we sell our T6 and order a T6.1?
Other than what appear to be software issues/bugs for VW to resolve, the rest are down to the dealer to have sorted prior to delivery! I don't think they are serious other than the roof canvas just a major inconvenience and disappointment for the OP. The T6.1 has had a slating, roof stuck etc but when you search you find the same posts quoted and related several times amplifying the problem. these issues have happened with the T6 I see as well?

The OP raises some fair points and his "snagging" list needs sorting and resolving.

Looking forward to my T6.1 and I will share any concerns, however as with my MoHo I will have my tool kit on standby.

T 6.1 Defect list

Hi all, having taken delivery of our T6.1 in early Aug 2020, I thought it may be beneficial sharing a list of defects we found in the first few weeks (not to mention the flat leisure batteries on delivery and then subsequent damage the dealership made to the van when trying to resolve on the day of delivery - but that’s another story ....

I hope this helps other T6.1 buyers - I would appreciate if anyone else has had similar issues / confirm if they have the same problems.

On delivery

1. Pop top would not open - Leisure batteries were flat, we then had to wait for 4 hours while the dealer fast charged. Have since insisted these are both changed due to unknown damage.

2. Damage to roof lining ( small rip in the middle where something had hit this)
3. Grease on driver seat
4. Marks on side of front passenger seat base frame (where the seat was removed to charge the leisure battery)

5. foam shower holder does not fit hole - we have been informed this is correct and there is just a technique to fitting?? - anyone else have this issue?
View attachment 66098
6. No shelf above shower holder - have been informed VW no longer supply the shelf above the shower holder if a shower has been fitted - can anyone confirm this?
7. No fly screens supplied (drivers book does refer to fly screens being supplied…..) - have been informed VW long longer supply these....
9. No attachments for sliding table rail (drinks holder, towel rail etc) - we have been informed VW no longer supply these for the T6.1 - can anyone confirm?
10. The waste water tank level stays on 1/3 full all the time regardless of amount filled or empty. We have been informed this is normal?
11. The fresh water gauge shows empty when there is still sufficient capacity in the tank?
12. The camping control panel charging status does not make sense - one moment is shows 53h at 13.1v with no draw on amps and another time it shows 27h at 13.3v with no amps?. This could be due to the damaged leisure batteries or could be a software issue.
View attachment 66099
14. missing trim from below front seats but could be wrong - it just looks like there are slots for a trim to be fitted
edView attachment 66092
15. Small sliding draw under rear bench- handle does not latch back unless slamming the draw
16. Rear shelf removal and reinstatement is hindered by frame fixed on wooden bed shelf (appears slightly out of line)
17. Roof tent come away from the back right (drivers side) corner. I managed to push this back into the roof but obviously this is a major concern
View attachment 66093
18. Rubber. seal in front of cooking controls has a gap in front (not fitted correctly) and water can escape down into the cupboard
View attachment 66097
19. I have noticed a rubber (sponge type) between the bottom front window and dash (passengers side) - not one for the drivers side so not sure if this is missing or if the passenger side one should have been removed
View attachment 66094
20. The control of the lights from the camping control panel does not adjust (dim) certain lights. You can change the setting however it just reverts back to what was previously set. You can dim the light still manually - software issue?
View attachment 66095
21. When in camping mode - radio cuts off after aprox 20 mins. I understood the radio could now be played continuously on the T6.1?
View attachment 66096
24. When heater turns itself off, the rear AC display turns off also, however a few seconds after the central locking light on drivers door switch come on and then off followed by the central nav display screen.
25. Electric door mirrors do not fold on locking van even though the option has been selected in the infotainment system.

With my 6.1 due later this year that’s a depressingly long list of problems to read through. VW obviously need to resolve the known software bugs ASAP but your dealership also needs to get their act together by the sounds of it. Are you able to name and shame?

Item 25
I've seen the same problem mentioned by Transporter Van owners, not seen a remedy as yet.

About half of the list are things a dealer need to check before handover , some other things are common , leaves a few strange ones .
Still happy with my 8y old buddy doh !

That's a shocking amount of faults on such an expensive vehicle, what has the dealership said?

The problem is , as far as I have been able to find, there is NO PDI regarding the habitation side of the vehicle, just the vehicle itself.
The don’t check roof operation, leisure electrics, water, gas, mains hookup and mains charger operation at all.

I think you need to sit down with the DP and resolve. My concern would be that they’d do more damage attempting to fix the faults.

Wow! Hope this is a one off for all new Cali owners. As indicated the dealer need a good talking to. For my conversion of a 2018 new vehicle - no issues with vehicle - two minor issues with the habitation side that were fixed within 72 hrs of contacting the converter and they paid my expenses to return the vehicle to them.

Hi DT

Sorry to see you are have many issues. I have a T6 beach, so am unable to comment on May of the issues you are experiencing with the T6.1 Ocean
i seem to rember some have had updates to the Infotainment system, so assume VW are aware of the issues.

Roof bellows, insist on new ones , some previous models have had this from new and replacement bellows have been fitted.

I Agree with request to change lesuire batteries as damage and future issues cannot be fully established, the fact the Vw have let the batteries go fully flat, contrary to vw specific advise, would predispose future issues and is not acceptable practice during the PDI process.

Roof lining insit on replacement - should have been rectified during PDI inspection by dealer

Grease on Drivers seat , insist dealer pays for full valet at a place of your choice. PDI

Door mirrors folding can be reset, various ways, search here or T5 / T6 forum last resort disconnect starter battery for 15 minutes then reconnect

Lastly ask the dealer for a heavy dollop of good will, they can offer accessories, sporting events, servicing etc at the dealers discretion, it is common practice for a dealer to offer something to keep the customer onside.

Mention that you have / are doing your reasearch on the wonderful forum.

When you communicate with the dealer always Follow it Uo with a full write up of all the issues, dates , whom you spoke to, full conversations etc, always reply In full via email trail ensuring the email trail can be read in full in one document by a third party to understand the full story, issues and responses / actions etc. ( this may involve cutting and pasting communication from the dealer as they will probably not respond to your emails but choose to send stand alone communication.

Let the dealer know, you know your rights and that you feel it is wholly unacceptable. You are probably outside the time where you could have rejected the vehicle, (check this and act immediately if within the time frame, one day over nullifies your right to reject, but you must register within the time frame and get the dealer to agree) so you are probably in the realms of making the best of a very bad situation.

Lastly may I suggest to purchase an extended VW “factory” 5 year warranty for future peace of mind ( this may be negotiable as good will), if you have not already chosen this option (and if it’s available on the T6.1)

The problem is , as far as I have been able to find, there is NO PDI regarding the habitation side of the vehicle, just the vehicle itself.
The don’t check roof operation, leisure electrics, water, gas, mains hookup and mains charger operation at all.
Hmm, Most of these should have been sorted before PDI. When I built planes it used to say "quality is built into the aircraft not inspected into it " above the door.

T 6.1 Defect list

On delivery

3. Grease on driver seat

View attachment 66098
View attachment 66099
edView attachment 66092
View attachment 66093
View attachment 66097
View attachment 66094
View attachment 66095
View attachment 66096

I noticed you are based in Suffolk - who was your dealer? I will maybe avoid when ordering mine!
That's a very long list of snags on an expensive new vehicle - hope theyre on the case & more!!

Wow, that’s a big list of snags. Really takes the joy out of your new purchase I’m guessing. Was it a demonstrator? Dealers do vary enormously in terms of their knowledge of the habitation side of the California and I guess with so many changes in the latest model even the better dealers may not be yet up to speed! That said many of the issues you‘ve identified are pretty basic and unacceptable. Have you talked to them about rejecting the vehicle? Given some of the issues you’ve identified were caused by the dealer trying to rectify some of the faults, I would not be feeling confident that they can get the vehicle into the state that you would reasonably expect for a new premium vehicle. I can’t believe all 6.1s can be this poor, must largely be down to a lack of diligence by the dealer.

VW it shouldn't be like this, dealer hang your head in shame. @Dtcook please name your hapless dealer so that others can avoid.

Give it back to the dealer with a list of faults to be remedied. If they don't then reject it.

Welcome to the forum BTW

With the door mirrors these will fold. You need to hold down the lock button on the key when locking and then they fold up. Apparently this is normal for VW vans. My biggest bug is that the wipers don't return to the starting position when you turn the ignition off. Apparently that is normal on all T6.1's and the stealers (dealers) hope a future software fix will sort it.

Thanks everyone. Some great feedback. The van is currently with the dealer (its been in for three days so far). I want to give the dealer a chance to deal with this before naming so hopefully this will be a positive experience ( perhaps I’m being too optimistic but we have everything documented just in case). The van was ordered in January and got caught up (mid to end of build) in the lockdown so I guess this had a impact. Will update on final outcome for others to reference. Great community BTW, we have pick up some fantasic tips from many of your posts.

Sounds to me like you got a crap dealer/pdi
Or just bad luck
A lot of them issues you mentioned are dealer issues
Our 6.1 is absolutely perfect no issues at all with any of the things you mentioned and I’m ocd about making sure everything works as it should!
The only thing I have had is the loading screen on the infotainment system ...but after chatting to the dealer the day after I picked it up he informed me about an update that needs doing on it by physical plugging it in at the workshop.

T 6.1 Defect list

On delivery

3. Grease on driver seat

View attachment 66098
View attachment 66099
edView attachment 66092
View attachment 66093
View attachment 66097
View attachment 66094
View attachment 66095
View attachment 66096

OMG I checked our Cali Ocean when it was delivered to the dealership, then told them I will be checking the vehicle again on pick up before signing for it. We ordered a BMW and went to check it over, the doors were out of line both sides of the vehicle so cancelled the order and got my £1000 pound back. I feel for you if was me I would be telling them I am handing it back.

Sounds to me like you got a crap dealer/pdi
Or just bad luck
A lot of them issues you mentioned are dealer issues
Our 6.1 is absolutely perfect no issues at all with any of the things you mentioned and I’m ocd about making sure everything works as it should!
The only thing I have had is the loading screen on the infotainment system ...but after chatting to the dealer the day after I picked it up he informed me about an update that needs doing on it by physical plugging it in at the workshop.
Thanks. Did you have the shower attachment fitted, if so were you supplied with a shelf above? Also did you get any accessories i.e towel holder, fly screens?

Hi yes we have the shower and the holder fits perfectly above the gas bottle holder and it did come with the shelf.
The reason there’s no fly screens is the sliding windows on the 6.1 are different they changed their design So the old fly screens will no longer fit.
Also you do not get the towel rails just the cup holders for the rear cupboards

Back