Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Camper Solutions Panels now with Black Anodised frames

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All, in an age of inflation and cost cutting, I've done the opposite and increased my costs :) - Why? because black anodised looks much nicer! No more raw aluminium on the solar mounting arms. This change is initially exclusive to forum VIP members here, until my plain stock runs out, then it'll all be black anodised for non forum members too.

IMG_20240105_104618.jpg

IMG_20240105_104610.jpg

I must say, the black really does look great on the van. We put our panels on about two years ago and asked Roger for black frames to compliment our Pearl Black Cali. Still looking great, and now even contemplating and adding a powerbank to the rear of the van.

Highly recommended :thumbPanel1.jpg

Panel2.jpg

These’ll look good in the mid life crisis swamper thread, everything’s black in there (with a hint of bronze on a rare occasion)
I must say, the black really does look great on the van. We put our panels on about two years ago and asked Roger for black frames to compliment our Pearl Black Cali. Still looking great, and now even contemplating and adding a powerbank to the rear of the van.

Highly recommended :thumbView attachment 117835

View attachment 117836
Interesting kitchen setup in your van.

I prefer my silver ones…. The Cali rails are silver, as is my van & my roof bars!
But the bin bag I had to put my solar panel I bought from him after only three years was black! I now have the original's rails with a new solar panel (a 175Watt one from Renogy) that’s lasted three years plus….
To be fair, he’s changed the type of panels he sells, so hopefully the current ones last longer, modern panels should have a 20yr lifespan or more.

Last edited:
how long should these panels last? I'm just starting my research into Cali Solar, hence the question :)

how long should these panels last? I'm just starting my research into Cali Solar, hence the question :)
The industry standard for most solar panels' lifespans is 25 to 30 years. Most reputable manufacturers offer production warranties for 25 years or more, that is for those mounted on domestic roofs, clearly on a camper, they are likely to have a slightly harder life, but nonetheless, 15 years should be a minimum.
Some panels from 1982 are still going strong: "In the Swiss canton of Ticino, one of the longest-serving photovoltaic plants in Europe is in operation. The plant with 288 modules on an area of almost 500 square metres has been generating electricity since 1982. It is still running today."

Maybe a silly question? Now that I have my panels any do and don'ts when washing the van? I imagine pressure jetting the roof I need to keep off the panels. Are they ok to wash with normal car shampoo?

Maybe a silly question? Now that I have my panels any do and don'ts when washing the van? I imagine pressure jetting the roof I need to keep off the panels. Are they ok to wash with normal car shampoo?
That's what I do, just normal car shampoo to remove road film.

Just scrub with a soft broom (or pole/window cleaning brush ) + Car shampoo, then pressure wash.

Re washing - what about the roof part under the panels?

Not silly at all. If I remember correctly Roger told us to clean the panel with a cloth and some water. The rest of the roof I will still use the pressure washer on.

Took ours off last year to check, and roof was fine.

I just aim the pressure washer under the panels whilst washing the van to clear any twigs / debris.
Thanks Ch1pbutty - never used my pressure washer on the van - too worried about 'pressurising' anything off - but maybe I'll try it - my roof is a bu.... to get clean as it has to be parked under a tree. Pressure washer might do the trick.

Thanks Ch1pbutty - never used my pressure washer on the van - too worried about 'pressurising' anything off - but maybe I'll try it - my roof is a bu.... to get clean as it has to be parked under a tree. Pressure washer might do the trick.
Ours is parked on our drive under multiple trees so it gets green quickly. The pressure washer perfectly cleans all of it easily. I don't think the roof's material is in danger. However, the paint of the
rest of the van is a different story. Don't set your pressure washer to high. I know I have made 'spots' when I set it to high, where I've chipped the paint.

But the bin bag I had to put my solar panel I bought from him after only three years was black! I now have the original's rails with a new solar panel (a 175Watt one from Renogy) that’s lasted three years plus….
To be fair, he’s changed the type of panels he sells, so hopefully the current ones last longer, modern panels should have a 20yr lifespan or more.
Which Renogy product do you have and how does it compare with Rogers panel kit?

Don’t use a Pressure Washer on the sliding windows, prone to cause leaks.

Roger you have an email address please?

Back