• Thread starter California T2023
  • Start date
C

California T2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi all

think about adding solar camper solutions kit to t.6.1 ocean. Not sure if I need 1 or 2 100w panels.

any advice appreciated
TIA

Hi all

think about adding solar camper solutions kit to t.6.1 ocean. Not sure if I need 1 or 2 100w panels.

any advice appreciated
TIA
If you don't plan on using electric toasters/kettle/airfryer and travelling in summer only then 1 will do. If travelling spring/summer and autumn then 2 and if travelling all year round then 3.

If you don't plan on using electric toasters/kettle/airfryer and travelling in summer only then 1 will do. If travelling spring/summer and autumn then 2 and if travelling all year round then 3.
Yep, exactly my reasoning.
3 looks better and fills the space nicely. Also compensates for shadow when empty roof bars are fitted.
IMG_3930.jpeg

Silly question How effective are they when the roofs popped, in particular if not facing directly into the sun?

Silly question How effective are they when the roofs popped, in particular if not facing directly into the sun?

They still work. If van sits in same spot for 24hrs, it will always get some sun during the day. We found that ours were on float by lunchtime, even in the winter with a dometic cfx 35 running 24/7. With 3 panels you never need to worry.

Gives you more campsite options as you won’t need EHU, so can choose the nicest spot.

Not silly at all. Whilst in Italy last year it was very hot so we often opted for shade on our pitch - which meant the solar panel struggled. Also the way you want to pitch the van can limit the effectiveness. We used a portable panel and power station and found this better on many occasions as you could place panel in the sun.
The more panels the better in all situations, but not always a cheap option.

How hot can they get? Any chance they could damage the roof pain?

WelshGas,
Excuse my lack of knowledge regarding van electrics. I know the internal 3 pin plug only works when on hook up. If you use solar panels to charge the leisure batteries, how/where to you plug in an electric kettle/air fryer etc to use them and take advantage of solar? I’m sure I’m missing something and you’ll have the answer.

Thanks
Dave

Hi all

any advice appreciated
TIA
What kind of trips do you do? That’s your starting point. I didn’t bother with solar in the end as I rarely do longer than 3 nights, bought an Ecoflow instead which gives me extra juice and also off-grid capability where needed.

What kind of trips do you do? That’s your starting point. I didn’t bother with solar in the end as I rarely do longer than 3 nights, bought an Ecoflow instead which gives me extra juice and also off-grid capability where needed.
Yes it all depends on your use case. If you only ever stay on campsites with hookup you don’t need solar at all. If you occasionally need to top up while away you can just run the engine or get a portable panel like the Dokio 160W and charge via the 12v socket. There are some videos on YouTube for this. If you decide to go for a roof based solar solution, the great thing is that you can buy one panel and then add more if you need to.

WelshGas,
Excuse my lack of knowledge regarding van electrics. I know the internal 3 pin plug only works when on hook up. If you use solar panels to charge the leisure batteries, how/where to you plug in an electric kettle/air fryer etc to use them and take advantage of solar? I’m sure I’m missing something and you’ll have the answer.

Thanks
Dave
The T5/5.1/6 have a mains voltage inverter BUT only 150watts. The T6.1 has a 300w inverter.
To run mains voltage kettle, toaster etc you would need a 2000w inverter fitted. That uses a lot of battery power so you would need a lot of Solar to charge the batteries.
All possible but impractical.

Yes just added 3 / 100 watt panels victron 100/20 controller
all from solar camper solution very easy to fit
just waiting for EcoFlow delta 2 max to go with it

WelshGas,

Thanks for the info, not so straightforward and a lot of expense compared to using hook up for high output items. I think I’m more inclined to get 1 panel and use hook up on longer stays.

Thanks

Dave

Hi all

any advice appreciated
TIA
One panel has been perfect for us , really surprised by how efficient it has been. You can always add another later if needed.

WelshGas,

Thanks for the info, not so straightforward and a lot of expense compared to using hook up for high output items. I think I’m more inclined to get 1 panel and use hook up on longer stays.

Thanks

Dave
We recently got 1 panel from Solar Camper Solutions and we couldn't be happier. The single panel got us through 3.5 weeks in the UK without needing EHU. (We also drove quite a bit). In our experience so far, 1 panel is enough if you plan on also driving once in a while. Perhaps if you stay somewhere for a week or more without driving it'll be different but in that case you'll probably have access to EHU.

Another advantage is that here at home the solar panel keeps the leisure batteries healthy and there's no more real need to use EHU for 24h once a month.

Keep in mind that they are modulair. If you start with 1 you can always add a second when needed.

Keep in mind that they are modulair. If you start with 1 you can always add a second when needed.
This, subject to the controller being up to the job. I spoke with Roger about this and decided on getting a single panel setup, but with the Victron MPPT bluetooth controller which can handle a second panel if necessary. I definitely don't see the need (in our case) for 3 panels, I suspect 1 will be enough but it's plug-and-play to add a second panel at a later date should we need it.

WelshGas,

Thanks

Dave
That’s what I have done. 1 panel can run for a few days without hook up as well.

My problem is that I can’t EHU at home as I live in an apartment. The single panel keeps the batteries topped up for 10 months of the year. However if I don’t run the van in January/early Feb then I will flatten my batteries.

So I am considering adding a second panel but it a cost benefit analysis that so far I’ve avoided.

Def. Recommend getting at least 1 panel though as it does extend your options.

I am planning to install ours tomorrow and we have a 9 night trip coming up (3 x 3 nights, no EHU) so will see how we get on in the real word.