Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Campers Panel - Feedback

Daveb999

Daveb999

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
After months of putting it off due to very limited DIY ability I took the plunge and bought one of @Roger Donoghue 100w panels with MPPT charger for my van.

It arrived quickly and very well packaged. Then I unpacked it and the fear started, as said, I really do struggle with DIY type stuff.

Rather than waiting I went for it……

Roughly 2 1/2 hours fitting time later and POW it all works (actually 2 days as I had a couple of questions for Roger).

I had two queries for Roger both out of hours and both times the turnaround was mega quick. The second query really shouldn’t have been needed, just my tired eyes missing something.

For anyone putting it off as worried about the fitting I would say go for it. Incredibly easy if you take your time and follow the very simple steps in the instructions. I have virtually no visible cables (apart from in the cupboard where the MPPT box and even there its all very neat and unobtrusive).

I would honestly say, if I can do it virtually anyone can.

The photo of the panel was before I had fully tightened it up and put the protective caps on
BF8CE415-37BF-44EC-8F5D-66F1580E74B9.jpegBF8CE415-37BF-44EC-8F5D-66F1580E74B9.jpegA388BFA5-EF39-4334-AED4-550DE8D7826F.jpeg

Does the panel touch the roof at any point or is it fully suspended? Thought about one of these kits but wondered if there was any possible damage to the paint over time.

Does the panel touch the roof at any point or is it fully suspended? Thought about one of these kits but wondered if there was any possible damage to the paint over time.
Nope, close but I would say no chance of it hitting the roof. I also added some heli tape under the curly cable just to make sure no rubbing from that

No, there is a small gap + the metal brackets have 3 foam strips on the bottom to prevent any damage.
CBDAB7D9-E8B7-4852-A0EB-6794863EF507.jpegF6EC62DF-3651-4C34-8D5E-D183E14F363E.jpeg2FBD00CD-D501-4128-839D-BEE93145B619.jpeg

Last edited:
Back