Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels.

As a very rough guide, and based on a typical use (eg fridge being on full time etc), how many watts do you need to charge the batteries usually? Is 100 watts sufficient or does it make sense to go for the twin panel option?

Appreciate there are a ton of variables, more just based on user experience and the standard SE/twin batteries.

As a very rough guide, and based on a typical use (eg fridge being on full time etc), how many watts do you need to charge the batteries usually? Is 100 watts sufficient or does it make sense to go for the twin panel option?

Appreciate there are a ton of variables, more just based on user experience and the standard SE/twin batteries.
I have 100W panel, which is fine for keeping all batteries topped up when not in use, but I suspect that I will probably be looking to add another 100W when we can get out and about and all the "domestic" electrics are used when camping off grid.

No problem in Summer with 100 watts. Winter 200 watts.

Guys - just use water. Don't add anything.
Hi Roger,
If I had your two panel solution fitted to my California Ocean, parked in a basement car park under artificial light, would that negate the need to plug in the van monthly to keep the leisure batteries in good condition? I recognise you won't be able to be definitive, as it depends on the type of light (looks like a fluorescent strip light giving bluish light), its position (one permanently on just in front of the parking space, and another directly above that comes on when someone enters the garage), but I wonder if the potential is there, as I cant plug the California in...
Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Roger,
If I had your two panel solution fitted to my California Ocean, parked in a basement car park under artificial light, would that negate the need to plug in the van monthly to keep the leisure batteries in good condition?
Thank you
Hi 66tim99,

I hope this helps

Hi 66tim99,

I hope this helps

Thanks, yes another thread on here confirmed that solar panels can work with electric light, I wonder now if Roger's set up has the potential to keep the leisure batteries in good condition under electric light, without plugging in. I don't have a plug in my communal garage.

Thanks, yes another thread on here confirmed that solar panels can work with electric light, I wonder now if Roger's set up has the potential to keep the leisure batteries in good condition under electric light, without plugging in. I don't have a plug in my communal garage.
Hi
Tim

did you read the conclusion?

It would depend on the type of lights - a lot of commercial lights actually replicate a lot of natural light's properties. So I think "yes" - but I can't guarantee that! I'll need to do some reading up!

No problem in Summer with 100 watts. Winter 200 watts.
Agreed. Roger was good enough to do me a 3x100W panel kit for my two leisure batteries which has taken me through winter fully off-grid and around end of February my batteries are almost fully charged before 10am.
Im a heavy power user, including a modern power efficient gaming laptop, VR headset, Anker Nebula II projector, Bluetooth headphones, mobile phone, Bluetooth speaker sound bar, as well as the integrated fridge being on 24/7 set to level 3 (of 10).
I've been careful to ensure all of my equipment is USB-C charging, including the gaming laptop (HP Spectre x360 15 inch screen varient) so everything can charge from the same three 12v 90W PD chargers I bought from amazon.

Agreed. Roger was good enough to do me a 3x100W panel kit for my two leisure batteries which has taken me through winter fully off-grid and around end of February my batteries are almost fully charged before 10am.
Im a heavy power user, including a modern power efficient gaming laptop, VR headset, Anker Nebula II projector, Bluetooth headphones, mobile phone, Bluetooth speaker sound bar, as well as the integrated fridge being on 24/7 set to level 3 (of 10).
I've been careful to ensure all of my equipment is USB-C charging, including the gaming laptop (HP Spectre x360 15 inch screen varient) so everything can charge from the same three 12v 90W PD chargers I bought from amazon.
Blimey - What a set up in your Calif:shockedrnia! I'll bring the beers...

It would depend on the type of lights - a lot of commercial lights actually replicate a lot of natural light's properties. So I think "yes" - but I can't guarantee that! I'll need to do some reading up!
Thanks, well, whatever, when I finally get the keys I'll be booking it in with you. Be good to know though, and so I'll report back...

Hi
Tim

did you read the conclusion?
I didn't actually, but I have now.
Doesn't seem conclusive to answer my problem as it says both:
"Amazingly, they found that it was indeed possible to harness electricity from artificial light through solar panels. However, efficiency values were nowhere close to what would be expected in outdoor daylight conditions."
And:
"...we can conclude that solar panels can work with artificial light, but the efficiency obtained from using this source of light is so negligible that is not worth it to be considered as electrical supply."
I'll look forward to Roger's research, and will report back in due course (likely September!)

Last edited:
Is it possible to easily add an extra panel? IE plug n play?

I didn't actually, but I have now.
Doesn't seem conclusive to answer my problem as it says both:
"Amazingly, they found that it was indeed possible to harness electricity from artificial light through solar panels. However, efficiency values were nowhere close to what would be expected in outdoor daylight conditions."
And:
"...we can conclude that solar panels can work with artificial light, but the efficiency obtained from using this source of light is so negligible that is not worth it to be considered as electrical supply."
I'll look forward to Roger's research, and will report back in due course (likely September!)
It should work to keep them topped up but not to recharge them.

Is it possible to easily add an extra panel? IE plug n play?
Yes it is - as long as your charger can handle it - they all can except the 130W LCD MPPT.

Existing panel slides forward, and new one takes its place. They plug into each other.

Fitting a kit today the only problem I have is I can’t get the nut off the negative terminal to attach the cables undoes easy enough but then turns into a locking nut and won’t come all the way off any ideas

Fitting a kit today the only problem I have is I can’t get the nut off the negative terminal to attach the cables undoes easy enough but then turns into a locking nut and won’t come all the way off any ideas
Connect to the chassis instead. Presumably you are using the rear Leisure Battery?
If so connect to the battery clamp bolt. The -tve battery lead is connected to the chassis anyway. If the connection is good, all will work OK.

Connect to the chassis instead. Presumably you are using the rear Leisure Battery?
If so connect to the battery clamp bolt. The -tve battery lead is connected to the chassis anyway. If the connection is good, all will work OK.
Do you mean where the brown cable is connected??

Do you mean where the brown cable is connected??
Not sure what the brown cable is, don’t have that on mine. Is it connected to the nut/bolt securing the battery clamp plate?

If there is sufficient thread showing on the battery pole when the nut is tightened, add another nut to secure the Solar lead.