Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panel Maintenance

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All,

A few months ago I noticed that my solar panel had developed a bit of a dip/sag in the middle. I didn't give it much thought until recently when it dawned on me that it might be rubbing on the paint underneath (particularly if some grit had got underneath it).

panel-sag.png

Last weekend I decided it was time to remove it and have a look. This is what I found:

grime-underneath-2.jpg

grime-underneath.jpg

Thankfully it hadn’t affected the paint, but a bit of the panel has rubbed off on to the roof.

panel-contact.jpg

This was fairly easy to remove with some polishing compound and then I gave the area a good wax.

I didn’t want this to reoccur so I ordered some paint protection film and have replaced the padding on the aluminium strips on the panel as these had worn down quite quickly.

Here’s the result:

paint-protected.jpg

new-padding.png

padding-against-film.jpg

The sag on the panel is a bit annoying, but at least if it does make contact with the roof it's not going to do any damage now.

There isn't much in life that is maintenance free is there?!

grime-underneath-2.jpg

grime-underneath-2.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem with putting the foam under the aluminium is that it reduces the airflow under the panel which helps keep it cool. I have just put two layers of helicopter tape under the alloy.

How long have you had the panel for before you checked?

The only problem with putting the foam under the aluminium is that it reduces the airflow under the panel which helps keep it cool. I have just put two layers of helicopter tape under the alloy.

Yes - there is still a gap where the roof channels run. I'm sure it still gets really hot on a still day when airflow is limited, but by then the battery is charged and panel efficiency doesn't matter too much.

How long have you had the panel for before you checked?

I've had it a year and removed it after 6 months for a good clean. This was after another 6 months when I noticed the panel sag. I was surprised at how grubby it was underneath.

The thing is, you don't want air flowing under when you are driving. Which the foam stops.

We now use more rigid panels that don't sag. On top of this I also run a strip of foam down the centre.