Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panels - worth it?

Newbie beach owner here. We were about to add solar panels but we ended up adding just a lithium battery.

What does not convince us is that, we usually search for a spot under the shade so the vehicle does not get hot. In places like Greece it is a must. We do not know how well a solar panel works in the shade but in a sunny place like Greece.

External panels are an option, but also more work and they take some storage space.

I will probably have an better answer after more time using our Cali.
Hey - I added solar 200w from planar pete and i love the flush look and lack of personal installation! However i am keen to know, how did you add lithium? Did you mean you changed the battery under the passenger seat (from what i know this is tricky as it means changing the charging loom hidden in the side panels) or add an eco flow or similar as a lithium addition?

Hmmm... not always unless you really have deep cover. I've noticed my panels on my home still generate reasonably well on cloudy overcast days and right up till sunset when sun it behind trees going down. It does depend on how good the panel and controller are so I can't give any opinion on the ones on a Cali, only my home. Yes I understand fridge works harder when sun out in full in summer but you're also generating more power. For my use I won't be stopping under trees anyway as bad idea in UK with weak branches and in any case hwn we travel it's never that hot.
On these campsites trees are there for this purpose, block the sun from hitting the campers. They are very effective and can’t be compared to a clear view of the sky.

Not in my case, see above. Tested with a voltmeter when the leisure was on float and the vehicle battery was sitting at rest at 12.7v. I was sufficiently confused to double check with a proper voltmeter (as opposed to a plug-in one) and it agreed. All four of the 12v sockets on my van are leisure-powered.
You only have four? There are five in my T6.1.

Where's the elusive 6th one then? I have so far;

- Pop-roof
- Gearstick
- Dash-top
- Bench seat near door
- Boot

T6.1 Beach:
- pop-roof
- next to gear selector
- on top of dashboard (never figured a use for it)
- bench seat next to door
- boot (annoyingly obstructed by legs of the multiflex board, I had to wire my own slim line plug)
- behind the driver seat (passenger seat in UK) next to the standard plug socket (I think Oceans probably don't have this one)

On these campsites trees are there for this purpose, block the sun from hitting the campers. They are very effective and can’t be compared to a clear view of the sky.
@kave please please please can you message me thank you

How about the flexi cable... does it mark the paintwork over time at all (must be some movement as it catches the wind)?

We sold the Beach a few months ago, but no marks over the 3 years period since fitting the panels. Some people put clear tape under the pigs tail for peace of mind, but there is no need to do this.

We don’t have a 12v socket in the pop roof in our 5.1. Was this an option?

How about the flexi cable... does it mark the paintwork over time at all (must be some movement as it catches the wind)?
I bought some proper 3M helicopter tape (eyewateringly expensive!) and put a strip down. I know for sure my paintwork is protected now, even if the risk was low without it.

i hadn't thought much about the effect of 2 / 3 panels on the roof on either noise or mpg - you've got me thinking now, and i was considering 3 panels.
No noticeable wind noise from our 2 x 100w solar panels.
Impact on mpg? - I would have thought minimal. Full tanks of fresh water and fuel would probably have more impact.

No noticeable wind noise from our 2 x 100w solar panels.
Impact on mpg? - I would have thought minimal. Full tanks of fresh water and fuel would probably have more impact.
Yes very good point. ... are yours strategically positioned front or back?

Anyone any view/experience on Califaktur panels? They're rated at 310w for 2 panels, albeit more expensive (and not sold in the UK from what I can tell). They look a little more elegant design.

Anyone any view/experience on Califaktur panels? They're rated at 310w for 2 panels, albeit more expensive (and not sold in the UK from what I can tell). They look a little more elegant design.

No experience but I agree the design looks very nice.

I'm not sure they look all that different to Roger's products? At the end of the day, both solutions are just essentially solar panels mounted fairly flush to the roof using the roof rails, with a cable dropping down into the door opening. I seem to recall reading somewhere there's a directly proportional relationship between the surface area of solar and the power, i.e. for good quality panels, a square metre will generate X watts . . . i.e., you need more panel for more power. Roger's panels I think are slightly slimmer, hence 100W a piece, but I think you can get three on there if you need them.

If importing from the EU, watch out for those pesky Brexit taxes for anything over £135 (?) . . . there are exemptions for products made in the EU, but it's quite complicated. I got a motorcycle exhaust custom made by a guy in Belgium, it was tax exempt because it was manufactured in Belgium, but with solar panels, the panels themselves would have come from China, so it might get messy.

I'm not sure they look all that different to Roger's products? At the end of the day, both solutions are just essentially solar panels mounted fairly flush to the roof using the roof rails, with a cable dropping down into the door opening. I seem to recall reading somewhere there's a directly proportional relationship between the surface area of solar and the power, i.e. for good quality panels, a square metre will generate X watts . . . i.e., you need more panel for more power. Roger's panels I think are slightly slimmer, hence 100W a piece, but I think you can get three on there if you need them.

If importing from the EU, watch out for those pesky Brexit taxes for anything over £135 (?) . . . there are exemptions for products made in the EU, but it's quite complicated. I got a motorcycle exhaust custom made by a guy in Belgium, it was tax exempt because it was manufactured in Belgium, but with solar panels, the panels themselves would have come from China, so it might get messy.
Good points, yes I got stung importing a camping shower ggrrr!

I noticed Rogers product is slimmer - shame as I feel its a bit of missed 'real estate' not going edge to edge. Appreciate he's a 'known entity' and there is extensive recommendations on here - very valuable. But I do like the way the Califaktur ones are sunken into the roof profile and have attaractive flush fixings.

Agree lovely site we were there in May, Donald was a great host. Joan’s pizzas are well worth a try :thumb
IMG_0331.jpeg

Back