Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panels

nasa959B

nasa959B

Ocean, 150 DSG.
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, waiting for my Cali suppose to be in March / April. Has any one got any advice on Solar Panels, fixed or removable.

My T25 has a fixed panel on the roof and it has been pretty handy over the years.

Recently I purchased a folding one to use in my Cali and in my good ladies T25. The thinking is based on my time using the fixed one for a couple of years.

Fixed Panel:
+ Always in place, fit and forget, Batteries permanently maintained
+ More secure to the casual thief
+ More suited to a larger capacity one (as you don't have to store it in the van)
- Regular cleaning required to keep it optimal
- Open to elements so prone to damage.
- Not always facing south or optimum position. So you won't always get max output even on a sunny day e.g. If you park on a pitch with tree shade, or the site is strict about where you park.

Folding Panel
+ Can be positioned for optimal sun and moved throughout the day if you want. More efficient output generally.
+ Can be used for multiple purposes.
+ No risk of damage to van.
- Smaller capacity to make it small enough to fit in the van (I opted for 50w)
- Only keeping batteries when setup.
- Easy to steal if unattended.
- cable route into van not always obvious.

Hi, how are the solar panels?
How did they get the wires into the vehicle?:thanks
It's all in the Thread, complete with pictures.

i just wondered how mike ( T6 CFO ) is getting on with his panels, if he is pleased and they are up to expectations.

i just wondered how mike ( T6 CFO ) is getting on with his panels, if he is pleased and they are up to expectations.
Getting mine done but only when I get it. VW built me the wrong Cali so one I have on loan is going back in exchange. So no Solar just yet. There are several members on here though who have had one fitted.

Mike

I know, but you also asked how they get the wires into the vehicle and the thread shows how., without drilling any holes.:thumb

I can confirm the ease of removal on Rogers setup.
Mine has been on and off 3 times for roof corrosion inspections.
To take the panel off takes about 20 mins including the wire to the controller, same time to put back on.

Just out of interest Snowy does your set up have a plug and socket on the roof. Or do you have to take the wire out through the gaiter on the tailgate?

It would be useful to find a spec for a waterproof connector that can handle the wattage when the panel is on full load.

Just out of interest Snowy does your set up have a plug and socket on the roof. Or do you have to take the wire out through the gaiter on the tailgate?

It would be useful to find a spec for a waterproof connector that can handle the wattage when the panel is on full load.

My kit came with a plug on a wire long enough to go through the waterproof connector and reach the cupboard in the rear of the Cali. So there is no external connector.

Can't say I've ever had the need for solar.. the engine charges the batteries pretty well if you're not on hook-up
Not to 100% capacity, although the Control Panel may indicate otherwise.:thumb

Can't say I've ever had the need for solar.. the engine charges the batteries pretty well if you're not on hook-up
My Cali lives outside and is not my daily driver. In fact it can be unused for a month or 2 at certain times of the year. Therefore to cycle the leisure batteries and avoid having to get the hookup cable out to do a charge each month is also a bonus.
Additionally, if you like wild camping or being literally off the grid, solar panels are a must. I was camped in 35c temperatures in Croatia this summer for 6 days with the fridge going full tilt and no hookup. Without solar, the trip would not have been so successful.

Just to give a counter argument my Cali is used almost every day I still charge it once a month via hook up but it is parked on my driveway so that is not a problem. This summer in France we went without hook up for nearly two weeks, just relying on the alternator and the capacity of the leisure batteries, the first week we were traveling everyday so no problems there. The second week we only used the Cali once in 5 days for a 40 mile round trip. We had fridge running on setting 5, used lights in the evening and charged phones and iPad an used water pump. Battery never got below 60%. I agree if you camp for long periods off grid then yes go for a solar panel but otherwise it might be a waste of money.

But still... being off grid doesn't mean you can't start your engine

Good article from 12VoltPlanet

Good article from 12VoltPlanet

Holy thread revival !