Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Panels

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have two 100w flexi panels. One fixed on the roof and the other simply plugs into a socket in the boot. The panel lives under the roof mattress when not in use. Best of both worlds as the non fuxed one can just be moved to the best position.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello @Roger Donoghue
Was wondering if you managed to install the solar panels so that the actual VW battery voltage reading was in real time rather than having to start the vehicle to get true battery reading? It was the method @Loz used with good results.
I’m not sure what you mean. My Control Panel will show the Solar Panel voltage without starting the vehicle and the MPPT controller display shows the same information + the solar panel output, once again without requiring the ignition On.

altvic

altvic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Apols. Perhaps I was not too clear @WelshGas. When camped up without ehu, the control panel reads the leisure battery voltage as it would be if there were no solar imput ie every day the voltage reduces. However, turn on the ignition and the control panel immediately recognises the true voltage of the leisure batteries that have been charged by the solar panels. Turn the ignition off and the control panel again becomes blindsided to the solar imput and will reduce voltage number according to how much it 'thinks' the leisure batteries are using from fridge etc. Does that make sense? @Loz wired his solars differently and it does not do have the blindspot. @Roger Donoghue said he would look into this phenomena and I was wondering if he had done so.
Cheers

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Apols. Perhaps I was not too clear @WelshGas. When camped up without ehu, the control panel reads the leisure battery voltage as it would be if there were no solar imput ie every day the voltage reduces. However, turn on the ignition and the control panel immediately recognises the true voltage of the leisure batteries that have been charged by the solar panels. Turn the ignition off and the control panel again becomes blindsided to the solar imput and will reduce voltage number according to how much it 'thinks' the leisure batteries are using from fridge etc. Does that make sense? @Loz wired his solars differently and it does not do have the blindspot. @Roger Donoghue said he would look into this phenomena and I was wondering if he had done so.
Cheers
Interesting. My Control Panel voltage mimics the Solar Panel MPPT voltage etc, irrespective of whether Ignition is On or Off. Must be a T6 thing.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I think we are referring to attaching the solar negative to chassis and not directly to the battery so as not to bypass the shunt that the control panel is using to calculate SOC.

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Indeed - but I've not had the chance to play. It would be connecting the solar regulator battery output to chassis that would perhaps then let the VW system recognise the charge coming from the regulator.

When I've got customer's vans in for installations it is a case of install while-u-wait - so I don't really get the chance to play.