Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some amazing price drops

Poor Betty! Hopefully you got just a good deal or near enough? Was that at Breeze or near enough…if you want to go for our 72 starlight blue 4M it’s mint..only a few k miles on the clock and the water tanks and sink never filled / used. Two house trained adults only have been in it! Hope all goes well and it works out..photos please on arrival !
Don’t see why it was a thread hijack @Misty , Ive PX van to dealer so I was just suggesting a good one that may be available and maybe one of the ones drastically reduced? I’m not trying to sell it as I don’t own it anymore and enjoying my new one.

Update on original post: now got holding deposit on 2 similar vans though had to push to the 204 as the 150 seem to be flying! All depends on the trade in value on poor betty, there online calcs from dealers (not we buy any crap) seem to be offering decent prices which im happy with, lets see if that holds out

Update on original post: now got holding deposit on 2 similar vans though had to push to the 204 as the 150 seem to be flying! All depends on the trade in value on poor betty, there online calcs from dealers (not we buy any crap) seem to be offering decent prices which im happy with, lets see if that holds out

150 might be more popular for longer term ownership (+10years) especially when combined a manual roof, due to simpler design / less to go wrong.

150 might be more popular for longer term ownership (+10years) especially when combined a manual roof, due to simpler design / less to go wrong.
Dont really need extra power, mpg seems only 1 mpg less, any other views on the 204 over 150?

Now that i have got the wanting to upgrade its amazing after speaking to 4 dealers the arrogance they have towards customers, only one i felt wanted to actually communicate in a manner expected. Maybe its me expecting courtesy and not just a cold and uninviting experience. Or their happy for the customer to come grovelling as they know you will buy in the end! Rant over!

Dont really need extra power, mpg seems only 1 mpg less, any other views on the 204 over 150?
Lots of threads comparing the 2. If I had 4Motion, 204 is the clear choice especially with DSG. FWD and you're likely to experience more front wheel spin. It's a 3ton vehicle so having more torque is advantageous. The disadvantage of 204 is that it's more complicated and there are extra bits that can go wrong.

Believe that question has come up a few times on the forum. Bigger will always be better in terms of power!

We have always had 150, but had them remapped them to 175/180, but for us this has been to improve mpg, as you don’t need to change gear as often - prefer manual gearbox.

In terms of comparison, our second car is 350bhp, and the 150 Cali is not sluggish, diesels by design have excellent mid range torque. Last T4 was 68bhp, it still takes the same amount of time to drive to Bristol (during the day) whether it be in 68, 150, 350bhp. Traffic always wins!

And the count of 2023 and 2024 Oceans keeps going up too, which means it's not just older vans flooding the market because owners have traded in for something newer.
Well after rejecting my 2023 model I said before I wouldn’t buy a new California until VW fixed the bellows, and they’ve not made much progress yet! Maybe that’s why the count of 2023/2024 Oceans on Autotrader keeps going up.
Could the early to mid-2022 Californias become known as the quintessential end of line vehicles?
Just as 2020-21 Caravelles command a premium value, which is still very close to their new price.
… Just postulating :)

Well after rejecting my 2023 model I said before I wouldn’t buy a new California until VW fixed the bellows, and they’ve not made much progress yet! Maybe that’s why the count of 2023/2024 Oceans on Autotrader keeps going up.
Could the early to mid-2022 Californias become known as the quintessential end of line vehicles?
Just as 2020-21 Caravelles command a premium value, which is still very close to their new price.
As the t7 is long wheelbase and wont now sit in a standard carpark afraid its 6.1 or go whole hog with a grand! Or alt.

I don’t think so , given £20 of Aquatex fixes the problem.

As the t7 is long wheelbase and wont now sit in a standard carpark afraid its 6.1 or go whole hog with a grand! Or alt.
The T7, so the Swb and lwb wheel distances are identical.
It’s just the L1 (swb) is 200mm shorter, (from the back wheel to boot) then the L2 (lwb)
So you’ll always park in a spot with a kerb, or something the back end will hang over, around 17cm. Or 170mm that’s not a lot at all
Much the same as a 6.1

IMG_2696.jpeg

Last edited:
The T7, so the Swb and lwb wheel distances are identical.
It’s just the L1 (swb) is 200mm shorter, (from the back wheel to boot) then the L2 (lwb)
So you’ll always park in a spot with a kerb, or something the back end will hang over, around 17cm. Or 170mm that’s not a lot at all
Much the same as a 6.1

View attachment 126272
The biggest problem for me is parallel parking in London. It’s already hard enough with the T6. Not sure I’d manage with anything longer. Maybe it’s time to move!!

So the general feeling here is that the 7 is not an option so, those taking out a PCP on a new 6.1, what are your options at the end of the deal?

Clearly trading in/up to a 7 isn’t an option so you either hand it back or stump up a ton of sterling?

Seems like a three year suicide mission.

So the general feeling here is that the 7 is not an option so, those taking out a PCP on a new 6.1, what are your options at the end of the deal?

Clearly trading in/up to a 7 isn’t an option so you either hand it back or stump up a ton of sterling?

Seems like a three year suicide mission.

Buy a 10 year old van cash, and avoid finance.
You should get your purchase price back on resale.

What's happened in the past may not happen in the future. The significantly discounted new T6.1 prices will ripple through the 2nd hand market over time.

The biggest problem for me is parallel parking in London. It’s already hard enough with the T6. Not sure I’d manage with anything longer. Maybe it’s time to move!!
Yep, do it, get out the big smoke, its bad for your health!

Wish someone would come up with a good spreadsheet on the virtues of old v's new.
My journey with my 15year old Saab is, had to splash 10K on new bushes, new suspension, big brakes, head rebuild, clutch, Air con compressor, air con condenser. still, cheaper than a new convertible.
But its been off the road for around 4 weeks of the past 3 year's having the work done.
Thus, I'd have had to rent something.
I'm lucky I can have both.
Horses for courses. If you can afford it. why not? worked my a$$ off for 35 years to enjoy the nice things in life, that can take me places without worrying about a part breaking, ruining a trip out.
Lifes short, you buy what you can afford (If you can afford finance, do it, if not, then dont), and make the most of every day.

Well that’s an option but if that’s your mindset then you’re probably not going to be buying new now.

I was just wondering what people’s thoughts are on this, the point being it looks like it could be the end of the road for what we all know as a good usable van.

I'm really conflicted on this as I have one of the 22-plate T6.1s but I don't find the front seat as comfortable as my previous T6s. The twin doors appeals too and I'd like to move away from diesel.

I'd never own one of these without a full warranty...my 16-plate T6 was problematic with the Adblue and random eml warnings, so spent a lot of time with the dealership under warranty. Fortunately we have the extended warranty so I can think about this for some time.

I'm not sure I'd get the hybrid tho and the petrol is a bit thirsty.

Hmmm.....

LWB 5.3 ts fit in normal parking space, never had an issue.
Not according to Which. I’ve not had a problem with parking bays, but I think I would with a LWB Transporter, certainly in London.

IMG_7485.jpeg

Wish someone would come up with a good spreadsheet on the virtues of old v's new.
My journey with my 15year old Saab is, had to splash 10K on new bushes, new suspension, big brakes, head rebuild, clutch, Air con compressor, air con condenser. still, cheaper than a new convertible.
But its been off the road for around 4 weeks of the past 3 year's having the work done.
Thus, I'd have had to rent something.
I'm lucky I can have both.
Horses for courses. If you can afford it. why not? worked my a$$ off for 35 years to enjoy the nice things in life, that can take me places without worrying about a part breaking, ruining a trip out.
Lifes short, you buy what you can afford (If you can afford finance, do it, if not, then dont), and make the most of every day.
Not sure if you have seen this discussion but a spreadsheet exists and is being updated yearly: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-a-cali.12983/

Back