Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some info on headlights please.

V

Vagophile

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The above reference shows the headlight on my 2013 Cali.
The reference in the front of the my manual is given as 8EC- Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp.
It seems that these are a Xenon/halogen low/high beam combination.
Is this correct?
Are these lights the ones a lot of owners complain about?
I haven't been out to check in the dark yet, too much stuff going on elsewhere.

Yepo they're the xenons for the MY12+ T5.1s.

High and low are both xenons. Parking lights / fog lights are halogen.

What's the complaints with them? Mine were ace when I had a t5.1

The drawing shows item 14 (bulb) as halogen. Can they be swapped for halogen?Edit: xenon.
I just wondered if these were standard as there are lots of posts about H4 bulbs being changed to H7 because they are so poor.
As I said, I haven't tried these in the dark yet.

Last edited:
The drawing shows item 14 (bulb) as halogen. Can they be swapped for halogen?
I just wondered if these were standard as there are lots of posts about H4 bulbs being changed to H7 because they are so poor.
As I said, I haven't tried these in the dark yet.
You cannot just swap H4 to H7 bulbs, you have to change the whole headlight and then recode the vehicle computer for full functionality.

Thanks @WelshGas. I am just trying to make sense of the lighting that is fitted and find out if it was an upgrade.
(because of the 8EC reference)
With the help of Google (which I should have done before now) I can see that H4 is double filament and H7 is single filament, so they are not interchangeable.
From the diagram that you posted (Thread Xenon bulb replacement) which I have referred to, it seems that I have a halogen high beam (presumably H7) and a Xenon low beam.
I'm happier now that I understand what is in there; one unanswered question is: are these a standard fitment or a specified upgrade?
A final question; @Kallista says his high and low beams were both Xenons, is that a possibility and if so, how?

Yepo they're the xenons for the MY12+ T5.1s.

High and low are both xenons. Parking lights / fog lights are halogen.

What's the complaints with them? Mine were ace when I had a t5.1
No complaints, just trying to find out what I've got. Are you sure that your high beam was Xenon?

No complaints, just trying to find out what I've got. Are you sure that your high beam was Xenon?
Absolutely. It was a substancially better (more blue) light than standard halogen. Sadly no longer have it so cant show any pics etc.