Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some newbie questions i haven't found the answers to

C

ceteri

Hi all,

Great site have had a good time reading through all the threads. I am thinking about buying a cali and currently trying to find out as much as i can about them. Hopefully you could answer some questions for me. I haven't actually seen one in detail 'in the flesh' yet so some of these questions may seem a bit dim.

1. how much does the seat in the rear adjust, e.g. is it possible to push it right back to the rear door, thus having no 'boot' space? is it possible to push it forwards increasing boot space?

2. how long can you run the heater for at night without draining the battery? is it possible to run it constantly all night?

edit: 2b. is it also possible to run a small microwave off the leisure batteries?

3. how often do you need to clean the clean water tank, and what is it best to clean it with?

4. how easy is it to clean and drain the waste water tank?

5. I have read a bit about the 'earth shunt' problem people have been experiencing, is this something that is still occurring with new models?

6. Does the 'upstairs' sleeping area ever leak? does it need drying out before lowering or if lowered wet?

7.what are the main general maintenance costs?

8. i read about leisure batteries becoming damaged if they are allowed to become discharged (no use after 2 weeks?). how much do these batteries cost to replace?

cheers
Brendan

Hi brendan welcome
I have just spent the last 10 min answering some
Of your questions before i realised i hadnt aproved
Your post so it was a waste of time. I have popped out
For an hour if when i get back you question is unanswered
I will try again :thumb

ceteri said:
Hi all,

Great site have had a good time reading through all the threads. I am thinking about buying a cali and currently trying to find out as much as i can about them. Hopefully you could answer some questions for me. I haven't actually seen one in detail 'in the flesh' yet so some of these questions may seem a bit dim.

1. how much does the seat in the rear adjust, e.g. is it possible to push it right back to the rear door, thus having no 'boot' space? is it possible to push it forwards increasing boot space?

2. how long can you run the heater for at night without draining the battery? is it possible to run it constantly all night?

edit: 2b. is it also possible to run a small microwave off the leisure batteries?

3. how often do you need to clean the clean water tank, and what is it best to clean it with?

4. how easy is it to clean and drain the waste water tank?

5. I have read a bit about the 'earth shunt' problem people have been experiencing, is this something that is still occurring with new models?

6. Does the 'upstairs' sleeping area ever leak? does it need drying out before lowering or if lowered wet?

7.what are the main general maintenance costs?

8. i read about leisure batteries becoming damaged if they are allowed to become discharged (no use after 2 weeks?). how much do these batteries cost to replace?

cheers
Brendan
Here goes Brendon
No1. The rear seat will go back a fair way you will need to remove 2 bolts in the rails to move it back although it will only go back until it hits the overhead cupboard.
No2 i would say yes I had mine on alnight last time I went away the battery was on 60% when I switched it off in the morning it was the same. If you are on electric hook up no probs anyway.
As for the microwave I would say no.
No3. Water tank maybe once a year with Milton sterilising fluid.
No4 draining the waste tank is easy there is a lever in the cupboard that once turned empties the waste tank a flush with clean water should be enough.
No5 not 100% sure but I think facelift models are not effected. ( someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
No6 the roof seems to work better once it has got wet a few times as for closing it wet if you have to it will be best to open the roof as soon as you can afterwards to let it dry. You can on the forum buy a waterproof matress cover for the roof bed
No7 hard to say I have a maintainence plan I pay £17 per month that covers servicing for 3 years and two mot's
No8 the manual suggests that if the leisure batteries recieve no charge from running the van they should be charged from the mains once a month. If you use the van a couple of times a week you should be fine. I think I heard somewhere the batteries are about £120 each
These are only my opinions if I have got it wrong I'm sure the good folk on here will let you know
Cheers kev

Thanks Kev,

that has cleared a few things up nicely, and has held my interest enough to take a look at one of these things for real. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

cheers
Brendan

I thought my heater ran off the diesel - or am I wrong?

The night heater uses diesel and a little battery power

In answer to question 8

All batteries very expensive to replace.

All battery's are charged by the engine driven alternator.

Kev is right when he says recharge batteries every 2 weeks if Cali not being used. Use mains hook up to do this. Note the mains charger unit M11 charges all batteries on a Facelift Cali.

However, It only charges the leasure batteries on a Classic Cali so the starter battery will need to be toped up by a external mains charger.

See this Subject for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48

John

John said:
However, It only charges the leasure batteries on a Classic Cali so the starter battery will need to be toped up by a external mains charger.
Beginning with production year 2008 the starter batterie is also charged during hookup.

In answer to questions 5 :
On the new model the location of the shunt has been moved from a weak spot at the furniture to a proper fixing point at the car body

Pirat.

Thanks for the info Pirat.

Sounds like you may have a contact who works on the California.

I have a Classic 2007 Cali so it is a pain in the winter when I take my Cali of the road and don't use it. I have to take the starter battery out to store and charge in my garage. I don't know of a easier solution as I don't like to charge the battery when connected as I worry that the external charger may cause damage to the Cali's electrics.

We have had quite a few Cali's that have had earth shunt problems with the associated faults this has even happened to face lift Cali's and seems to be a common problem. Although not all the dealers know about this problem. We have a very well written document in the Downloads Section by John Towers that covers the problem with the earth shunt and a modification.

John