Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SOME QUESTIONS FROM A NOVICE

J

joe77

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello everyone,,
Is there an easy way to swivel the front seats around?
Where do you store reverse image search email checker port checker pillows? The cupboard above the seats isn't quite big enough for two.
Is it important to close the roof after you've brought the pop up roof down, or can you do it before?
Still got a lot to learn.

1: It gets very easy with practice but there is no easy way.

2: I leave my pillows on the back parcel shelf on top of my Duvet

3: Do you mean the sliding screen above the drivers head? I leave that open until the roof is closed and locked.

Hello everyone,,
Where do you store reverse image search email checker port checker pillows? The cupboard above the seats isn't quite big enough for two.
Is it important to close the roof after you've brought the pop up roof down, or can you do it before?

I will also caution about what you use the airline-type locker cupboard for. It has a remarkably low load rating, about 2.5kg from memory. I use it for tea towels, wipe cloths and copious amounts of tissues (I always seem to end up sneezing my head off when I'm in the Cali). Be careful not to squash things in it either, you may foul the closure catch in which case first bump and the lockers open and whatever can fall out will fall out.

You get used to turning the seats, eventually it will be become intuitive and you’ll wonder why it was ever difficult. Get in to the habit of seat at right distance, handbrake off, steering wheel up, door side armrest down, seat back angled. Forages you’ll think you’ve got it and forget one of those things, but eventually the penny drops .

The other 2 things we do the same as granny Jen except I use Ikea Drona foldable boxes on the back shelf to store the quilts (folded into 3rds lengthwise and rolled tightly, in the box stood up) and pillows (just cushion size, stood up - to pack them in turn the box on its side and squash them down then you can stand the box up). Three drona boxes fit nicely in an ocean across the back shelf with a space across the shelf at the back by the door. If you need or want to put the lower bed down, the boxes can be folded down and put under the shelf mattress or, if left as boxes, the three fit nicely on the kitchen worktops and when you empty the bedding can be used to keep the next day’s clothes in, etc, so it’s all contained and easily moved.

It takes a while to find out what works for you, but experiment and try things out. sometimes the simplest ideas turn out to be the best.

Last edited:
You get used to turning the seats, eventually it will be become intuitive and you’ll wonder why it was ever difficult.

The other 2 things we do the same as granny Jen except I use Ikea Drona foldable boxes to store the quilts and pillows on the back shelf.

Now doing a quick search for Ikea Drona :D My duvet storage bag has a nasty rip in it.

I just love this forum. Every time I am stuck for a solution one comes winging through the air from a totally unrelated direction :thumb

Now doing a quick search for Ikea Drona :D My duvet storage bag has a nasty rip in it.

I just love this forum. Every time I am stuck for a solution one comes winging through the air from a totally unrelated direction :thumb
Also check IKEA for TOSTERÖ Storage bag for cushions, black, 116x49 cm. Lies flat on rear shelf and takes duvet and cushions.

Also check IKEA for TOSTERÖ Storage bag for cushions, black, 116x49 cm. Lies flat on rear shelf and takes duvet and cushions.
I tried Ikea Skubb (very similar) first, but then the 3 boxes worked out to be more versatile for us. It is a good solution though and keeps everything contained nicely, also keeps the rain off if the weather’s bad when you’re opening the back door.

Be careful to spell it correctly if you do a Google search or all sorts gets suggested (ooh errr, mrs)!

Last edited:
Sorry my fault you lot are talking to a banned member I forgot to delete the post lol
Never mind, Kev. We’re actually talking to each other now and as granny Jen said, it’s very useful.

Do leave the roof open above the front seats until the roof is down. You can make sure the fabric is not caught in the scissor struts and fold the front in tidily.

Oh and don’t leave anything on the top mattress as you may bend the alloy roof.

I have stuck a piece of tape by the driver’s seat runner as a guide to where the seat is moved to before I swivel it.

Alan

Hello everyone,,
Hi Joe,
Like almost everything else in life, turning the front seats is easy as long as you know what your doing. Everyone has their own method but it has to be said that to achieve success whilst not causing any damage, you have to get the seat in precisely the right position before swivelling.

My formula works for me every time:

1. Ensure the vehicle won't move. With DSG place in Park. For Manual vehicles place the vehicle in gear in the opposite direction to the way it would roll, e.g if it's likely to roll forward then stick it in reverse. Also with a manual vehicle it's a good idea to chock one axle.
2. Release the handbrake.
3. Whilst standing outside the vehicle with the drivers door open wind the seat back fully forward.
4. Ensure both armrests are fully down.
5. Slide the seat to the following precise position.
20200110_104451.jpg
In my photograph you can see the hole on top and at the front of the seat element of the seat runner. The rear of this hole needs to be lined up with the front edge of the chassis element of the seat runner. This photo shows it correctly positioned in order to turn the drivers seat. At first you will probably want to crouch down to see it in order to get the positioning right. However, it's dead easy just to do it by feel alone in the dark.
6. Turn the seat. You will find that if positioned as stated above the seat will miss everything. Having said that, if you have your steering wheel adjusted to be well away from the dash then you may have to slide it back in a little. However, I have never had to do that.
7. Adjust the seat to suit.
8. Apply the handbrake.

To return it to the driving position just do everything in the reverse order making sure the seat runner hole is in the same position as described above.

I think VW could easily provide some simple mechanism to ensure the seat is positioned correctly to swivel. Alas so far they haven't bothered.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
Like almost everything else in life, turning the front seats is easy as long as you know what your doing. Everyone has their own method but it has to be said that to achieve success whilst not causing any damage, you have to get the seat in precisely the right position before swivelling.

My formula works for me every time:

1. Ensure the vehicle won't move. With DSG place in Park. For Manual vehicles place the vehicle in gear in the opposite direction to the way it would roll, e.g if it's likely to roll forward then stick it in reverse. Also with a manual vehicle it's a good idea to chock one axle.
2. Release the handbrake.
3. Whilst standing outside the vehicle with the drivers door open wind the seat back fully forward.
4. Ensure both armrests are fully down.
5. Slide the seat to the following precise position.
View attachment 54057
In my photograph you can see the hole on top and at the front of the seat element of the seat runner. The rear of this hole needs to be lined up with the front edge of the chassis element of the seat runner. This photo shows it correctly positioned in order to turn the drivers seat. At first you will probably want to crouch down to see it in order to get the positioning right. However, it's dead easy just to do it by feel alone in the dark.
6. Turn the seat. You will find that if positioned as stated above the seat will miss everything. Having said that, if you have your steering wheel adjusted to be well away from the dash then you may have to slide it back in a little. However, I have never had to do that.
7. Adjust the seat to suit.
8. Apply the handbrake.

To return it to the driving position just do everything in the reverse order making sure the seat runner hole is in the same position as described above.

I think VW could easily provide some simple mechanism to ensure the seat is positioned correctly to swivel. Alas so far they haven't bothered.
I think California Chris’s trick for positioning the seat for turning is a little easier, because you can see the position standing up without having to look under the seat.

I think California Chris’s trick for positioning the seat for turning is a little easier, because you can see the position standing up without having to look under the seat.
If his method works for you then that's all that matters.

I wouldn't have posted but his method doesn't seem that precise and precision is important here. There is only a very minimal clearance between the seat and the B post trim. Get that clearance slightly wrong and you stand a good chance of damaging the trim.

Hello everyone,,
Turning the front seats round is a huge amount easier if you release the steering wheel lock (and move the steering wheel upwards) and - most importantly - open the front doors. Temporarily move the front seat backrests forwards, so you can turn the seats round. Trial and error!.

One aside regarding turning seats around. Not only is this a potential theft deterrent just by nature of it being a pain to turn the seats back to a driving position, it is also possible to lock the seats in the turned position by putting a padlock through the seat frame once it’s turned.

Just adds an extra complication to overcome for any van thief that may persuade him to look elsewhere.

Back