Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some questions from a novice

J

Juliet Lewis

Guest User
Is there an easy way to swivel the front seats around?
Where do you store pillows? The cupboard above the seats isn't quite big enough for two.
Is it important to close the roof after you've brought the pop up roof down, or can you do it before?
Still got a lot to learn.
Juliet

Hi , swiveling the seat works best standing next the verhicle in the open door , slide seat forward turn backrest a bit towards front , unlock the seatswivel and turn arround....the exact position is hard to tell but some do mark it with a piece of tape...there' a tread on this >search
We never have any problems turning the right seat as we have a LHD and the steeringwheel is nit in the way.
Handbreak down offcoarse!
However just bringing the steeringwheel in the upper position makes is easyer.
Turning the left seat (our driversseat ) we mostly do not do and if so just only a 1/2 just to create more space not to sit in ...we are just two so one sits on rear seat and other in swivelled passenger seat (right seat ) each on thiere side of the table

The cupboard above in the rear using for pillows would be a bit dull imo. as one or two pillows can easyly be just left on top of the lugage in the rear or even on the bench seat. The moment of arrival when the roof goes up you simply trow it in the pop-top.
The upper rear warderobe we use for towels all purpose bad-and kitchentowels

The sliding hatch is to be closed afther the pop-top is fully lowerd , you also need to tuck the roof canvas a bit in his place.

Hope this helps , others will give thiere view , if any other Q's ...shoot away!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DM
Where do you store pillows? The cupboard above the seats isn't quite big enough for two.
Is it important to close the roof after you've brought the pop up roof down, or can you do it before?
Juliet

Hi @Juliet Lewis

1. For the drivers seat, the handbrake needs to be in the down position, make sure you chock the wheel, or leave in-gear to avoid roll-away. Then for both seats, slide the seats forward, as required, and tilt forward also as required.... Then they should rotate without obstruction.

2. We use pillow shape, cushions, so we just keep them on the rear-seats when not used for sleeping. We put pillow cases over the cushion covers, for a softer touch on face whilst sleeping, compared to the cushion cases.

3. Yes, very important to leave the hatch open, and also a window or door open also, whilst roof comes down, the air, needs somewhere to escape to.

Juliet

For the swivel, handbrake off, if you have the seat (moving bit) about 1-2 inches beyond the fixed base. I recline the back all the way forward from the side door leaning in. Drop the steering wheel into the dash one of the armrest goes down to aid swivel. Swivel.

We use cushions x2 that fit into our sleeping bags hood, we don't have extra pillows the cushions do two jobs.

//message ends//

We keep our bedding in the wardrobe. Double duvet and 4 pillows fit in there easily.

Front Wardrobe for clothes - hanging
Rear Wardrobe - E bags for underwear, socks etc: Colour Coded His n Hers.
Double Duvet in Duvet bag on parcel shelf with pillows when travelling.
Kitchen cupboards for Food stores, crockery and cooking pots + utensils.
Underseat draw - shoes, trays, Emergency expedition meals + odds and sods and waterproofs.
2 large plastic boxes under parcel shelf for camping stuff, Bog in a Bag, pegs, Guy ropes and inflatable sun beds, also EHU cables, water carrier, folding bucket etc:.
Rear roof cupboard - towels, books, games and toilet/kitchen rolls.

Roof shutter MUST be open when closing roof. At least a window, if not a door, downwind MUST be open when lowering the roof.

We have a good quality 9+4.5 tog goose down duvet, both parts squash down to next to nothing. The 4.5 tog duvet gets carefully folded in half and stowed flat in the roof - the 9 tog duvet is left at home. Pillows for upstairs are stowed on the top of any other bedding on the multiflex.

For downstairs we have a cheap 150cm X 200cm Ikea mattress topper and cotton sheet, which are folded on top of the multiflex board. The boys sleep in sleeping bags, and use VW cushions as pillows. This all works well for us, and I don't intend to change anything for when we tour.

I can't explain the drivers seat swivel, it just "happens" for me but...

Stand by the seat, outside
Fold backrest forward
Unlock steering wheel and move up and forward
Swivel seat and shuffle it forward to clear pillar at same time.

All done with no fuss or bother after the first couple of times.

Bedding: Duvet on back parcel shelf. Pillows in wardrobe. Only one pillow. I use a very nice inflatable as well, expensive but worth it.

Virtually all of my clothes are stowed in the bench drawer in e bags or equivalent. Deep winter my heavy fleeces are in the wardrobe and my big, fit for Everest, duvet jacket is on the rear parcel shelf.

We store our duvet and pillows (in compression bags) in a cheap collapsible crate (you can get from home stores for about £2). It sits on the rear parcel shelf / bed. When the bedding is out the crate can be collapsed and put between the front seats.

To be honest we carry two additional collapsed crates at all times. They are great for chucking muddy shoes in, or storing temporary random items that have nowhere to go.

We use cot size pillows for which I have made colourful covers so they double as cushions on the rear bench seat.

We use cot size pillows for which I have made colourful covers so they double as cushions on the rear bench seat.
Me too....woollen ones....I made cot sized pillow cases from Asda sheet and covered them to make them cushions during the day.

Just make sure you use a full length zipper on longest length.

IMG_1408.JPG

Back