Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sorning your Cali in the current climate

Can’t find anything about it on dvla or gov websites. May just be worth trying for a month and see what happens at renewal in a few years time. You never know.

I am sure its 5 years from the date of registration regardless of what you do with the vehicle.
And Im sure its 6 its the initial registration - year one and five further years.

I don't know how much it will save if you SORN your Cali
but im sure many people here could afford to just let it ride.

Small businesses and one man bands are really going through
the mill at this time and as far as i can see the government are trying
their best to help them, but where does that money come from.

If 5 million SORNd their cars tomorrow then that would leave
a big hole in the coffers.

How much do you lot pay for the NHS, not much because its expected.
So when you SORN your car this week and need healthcare next week, whilst
you're led in the back of a meat wagon have a think about where the money
is coming from.

Of course, i am the odd one out by thinking this way as ive been
told from a
I don't know how much it will save if you SORN your Cali
but im sure many people here could afford to just let it ride.

Small businesses and one man bands are really going through
the mill at this time and as far as i can see the government are trying
their best to help them, but where does that money come from.

If 5 million SORNd their cars tomorrow then that would leave
a big hole in the coffers.

How much do you lot pay for the NHS, not much because its expected.
So when you SORN your car this week and need healthcare next week, whilst
you're led in the back of a meat wagon have a think about where the money
is coming from.

Of course, i am the odd one out by thinking this way as ive been
told from a few friends in blighty.
Anyway,

View attachment 56828
Sorry I pressed the like button by accident.

Renewed in last month at £465 for the year, its bad enough seeing it just sit on the drive without it costing me £40 a month VED for the privilege.....
So my VED ran out yesterday and today being the 1st April I popped on the the DVLA site to renew it.

The V11 reminder says £465.

The DVLA website says £475.

Huh? Apparently VED went up (immediately) in the most recent budget. Who knew?!

I tried doing over the phone and they've got a pre recorded message saying that if your V11 price differs from price now demanded that this is correct.

Still, small beer in the grand scheme of things, but a new one on me.

Just Sorn Cali as i doubt i will be using it over the next 6 months (£250 plus saving so worth having) and even if I did because i live in a tourist area I would be too worried about parking it up in case it gets damaged. Noticed a camper van the other day in the local super market car park with a notice on the window saying "I am not a tourist I live here"

Anybody know what Admirals stance is on Sorning ?
EmailEd Admiral and told them 2 cars ( Cali plus MX5) were SORNed and off the highway.They’ve replied saying no problem still covered on my multI car policy.

So my VED ran out yesterday and today being the 1st April I popped on the the DVLA site to renew it.

The V11 reminder says £465.

The DVLA website says £475.

Huh? Apparently VED went up (immediately) in the most recent budget. Who knew?!

I tried doing over the phone and they've got a pre recorded message saying that if your V11 price differs from price now demanded that this is correct.

Still, small beer in the grand scheme of things, but a new one on me.
If you had renewed on or before the 31st then you would have had the old rate, unfortunately you waited.

Did Sorn on 31st March and got refund cheque today. I've maintained insurance cover and just received email from insurers , Comfort. This is from the FAQ section re effect of Sorn on insurance cover. Of course this may differ depending on your own insurers terms but I'm quite happy with the feedback

Screenshot_20200407-181905_Gmail.jpg

So 2 months on, who's thinking they will re tax in June for day trips for exercise or wait another month.

So 2 months on, who's thinking they will re tax in June for day trips for exercise or wait another month.

I think I’m holding off-sorned it in March and I have only took it round my close to move the tyres and turn the engine over. Even if half way through the month things look a bit better and I decide to tax it then, it’s backdated as a full month. However if nowt constructive happens ( and I really don’t think it will until July / August ) I’ll reviewnext month
But mines not a daily driver

Having looked at the cost saving I decided not to bother to SORN. Perhaps I was daft but I took the view that if everyone had done it the Government will only have to impose even greater taxation to fill the hole in the tax revenue when things get back to something like normal.

As it was I used our van for the first time yesterday. We went shopping for us, our elderly neighbours and my ninety one year old father. Whilst out we decided to have a picnic and exercise.................our eye lids in the closed position. It was glorious.

Having looked at the cost saving I decided not to bother to SORN. Perhaps I was daft but I took the view that if everyone had done it the Government will only have to impose even greater taxation to fill the hole in the tax revenue when things get back to something like normal.

As it was I used our van for the first time yesterday. We went shopping for us, our elderly neighbours and my ninety one year old father. Whilst out we decided to have a picnic and exercise.................our eye lids. It was glorious.
How were the flat spots Borris, did they add the character you were hoping for.

Re tax I took the view the government had plenty off me in September when I bought the van through VAT and the extra purchase tax.

I SORNed as I expected to be furloughed. However I wasn't, and even if I had been my company topped up.
However not used either vehicle until today.
Will tax in June if we use it, although we have lots of places to ride/walk straight from our house so probably won't need it

How were the flat spots Borris, did they add the character you were hoping for.

Re tax I took the view the government had plenty off me in September when I bought the van through VAT and the extra purchase tax.
They're only flat at the bottom so for 95% of the time they're fine. :thumb

As it was I used our van for the first time yesterday. We went shopping for us, our elderly neighbours and my ninety one year old father. Whilst out we decided to have a picnic and exercise.................our eye lids in the closed position. It was glorious.
We didn’t sorn ours either, we took the view we wanted to be able to use it as soon as possible. We’ve had a few local day trips / picnics since we were allowed to use our vehicles, for us not to sorn was the right decision.

.....and of course there are a range of taxation costs which could mean it not worth the hassle to some.

..ours is £475 a year so a useful £40 a month saving, but if your usual VED is much less than this then not such an issue

They're only flat at the bottom so for 95% of the time they're fine. :thumb
Did you do your math on the back of a fag packet to arrive at 95% Borris. I’m sure there’s a couple of people on here that would be rather unhappy at the imprecise number of 95%

Did you do your math on the back of a fag packet to arrive at 95% Borris. I’m sure there’s a couple of people on here that would be rather unhappy at the imprecise number of 95%
I'm sure you're are right but it's near enough for me.

.....and of course there are a range of taxation costs which could mean it not worth the hassle to some.

..ours is £475 a year so a useful £40 a month saving, but if your usual VED is much less than this then not such an issue
We would have saved £40 if we had chosen to do so