Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heading out in September 2020

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So off North we head 30th Aug thinking the roads should have quietened down a wee bit. Living in Central Scotland and spending lots of time walking and climbing our mountains we thought it safe as ‘schools were back or heading back’ ..... WOW did we miscalculate.
I now know how many people live on this wee Island and how many vans there must be out there just waiting to be hired.. I’ll revise that because most were ‘big whites’ but closely followed by VW’s.
Fortunately ‘most ‘ were heading South but the sing they left behind beggars belief. I’m sure parts of England, Wales and Ireland will be similar but from my perspective I’ll be glad when Spain or Turkey or wherever these ‘staycationars’ normally go opens up and let’s them in... oh and please learn to drive ... Single.Track does not mean One Way !!
My rant over, we were able to eventually find solitude and our van escaped without damage

I’m not sure where you are walking, but I’ve been walking in Glenshee and probably seen a handful of people at best!
6 nights camping and only shared one night with a big white.

I’m not sure where you are walking, but I’ve been walking in Glenshee and probably seen a handful of people at best!
6 nights camping and only shared one night with a big white.
We travelled up to Glencoe then on to Loch Ness. The mountains at Glencoe we’re relatively quiet, it was at ‘sea level’ that was teeming with people. Parked everywhere and wandering like it was ‘Argyle Street (Glasgow central town street) And on the way up Loch Lomondside, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Glencoe every spot of grass had a vehicle parked !

A personal rant of mine.

Why do so ,any "north of the border" think they are the only receptacle of trash left by low life?

I live on the South coast and the rubbish us volunteer beach cleaners pick up beggars belief.

As one who has ben climbing in the Scottish Highlands for the best part of 60 years, please, you have no idea how much rubbish is left behind by low life anywhere.

They are low life, The mantra "leave only footsteps, take only memories" seems long ago but it is not confined to North of the border, the neglect of social responsibility leaves my small part of the South coast devastated. Go to the most pristine wilderness in the world, antartica, it is trashed. In 1972 I went to the Karakorum, unlike the Himalaya, was still remote, and picked up plastic bags from Portland, Oregon.

Last edited:
A personal rant of mine.

Why do so ,any "north of the border" think they are the only receptacle of trash left by low life?

I live on the South coast and the rubbish us volunteer beach cleaners pick up beggars belief.

As one who has ben climbing in the Scottish Highlands for the best part of 60 years, please, you have no idea how much rubbish is left behind by low life anywhere.

They are low life, The mantra "leave only footsteps, take only memories" seems long ago but it is not confined to North of the border, the neglect of social responsibility leaves my small part of the South coast devastated. Go to the most pristine wilderness in the world, antartica, it is trashed. In 1972 I went to the Karakorum, unlike the Himalaya, was still remote, and picked up plastic bags from Portland, Oregon.
It’s just awful and indeed everywhere, hence my comments re parts of England,Wales and Ireland suffering under a similar detritus deluge.

I’ll be glad when Spain or Turkey or wherever these ‘staycationars’ normally go opens up and let’s them in...
The fines for doing that sort of thing in Spain are very steep, and based on what you’ve posted, apparently quite a bit more strictly enforced. When I climbed Ben Nevis a year ago, aside from getting physically elbowed off the path twice by some rather uneducated people who were hiking down at times 3 abreast, the peak was covered in organic trash. At the visitors center there is a display which informs that Park personnel remove 10-12 containers of trash a year, 8 of which are banana peels. In more than 30 years of hiking in the Pyrenees, I’ve never seen anything like it, including at the Goritz refuge in the Ordesa National park, which atttacts crowds from all over the world.

If those you refer to come to Spain and behave like that, they are in for a shockingly expensive vacation.

The fines for doing that sort of thing in Spain are very steep, and based on what you’ve posted, apparently quite a bit more strictly enforced. When I climbed Ben Nevis a year ago, aside from getting physically elbowed off the path twice by some rather uneducated people who were hiking down at times 3 abreast, the peak was covered in organic trash. At the visitors center there is a display which informs that Park personnel remove 10-12 containers of trash a year, 8 of which are banana peels. In more than 30 years of hiking in the Pyrenees, I’ve never seen anything like it, including at the Goritz refuge in the Ordesa National park, which atttacts crowds from all over the world.

If those you refer to come to Spain and behave like that, they are in for a shockingly expensive vacation.

SO true. We in the U.K. like to make fun of the Europeans, but on many levels they know & appreciate how to live, better than we do.

Mind you they like our ‘cash’.....I speak as a person who lives out there 2/3 of the year.

We love staycationing. It’s quiet as a quiet thing here in Euroshire at the moment.

Several years back we hiked the French Alps and similarly ‘no rubbish’ anywhere. Over the years we have had numerous walking and cycling holidays in France, Germany and Austria and again no rubbish... although in Italy we were shocked at the amount of ‘fly tipping’ in rural areas
Don’t know what the answer is with ‘our lot’ !!

I lived in Spain in 1974 and ‘enforcement’ was pretty well assured , I’m not so sure about enforcement on ‘The Costa’s now... British tourists seem to behave in totally unacceptable ways and are ‘put up with’ !

A personal rant of mine.

The ‘up north’ rant is mostly to do with the sudden influx of ‘thoosands of peeps’ that don’t normally show up here and the resultant ratio of rubbish. We have a population of 5.45 million and a land mass of 77.910 km (squared) ... England has a population of 55.98 million and land mass 130.385 km(squared) , less than double ours and approx ten times the population. And lots n lots have come up here ... so when you do the Math you see the resultant problem !

We have scumbags and dross though don’t forget.

The ‘up north’ rant is mostly to do with the sudden influx of ‘thoosands of peeps’ that don’t normally show up here and the resultant ratio of rubbish. We have a population of 5.45 million and a land mass of 77.910 km (squared) ... England has a population of 55.98 million and land mass 130.385 km(squared) , less than double ours and approx ten times the population. And lots n lots have come up here ... so when you do the Math you see the resultant problem !

Yes, I do understand, apologies, my reply was quite badly written, my rant is that the Brits tend to be a dirty lot regardless of where they find themselves.

The math does not really need to be done, witness the squalor after a significant part of the population of London descended on Brighton for the day and totally overwhelmed the place, but not before the overspill reached my small part of the world.

The lack of respect was horrible to see. Equally try and ask anyone to take their rubbish home with them, "after all, you brought it here" and the response is to be stared at as though they had just seen a partial arrive, the concept appears to be a totally foreign one.

Last edited:
Yes, I do understand, apologies, my reply was quite badly written, my rant is that the Brits tend to be a dirty lot regardless of where they find themselves.

The math does not really need to be done, witness the squalor after a significant part of the population of London descended on Brighton for the day and totally overwhelmed the place, but not before the overspill reached my small part of the world.

The lack of respect was horrible to see. Equally try and ask anyone to take their rubbish home with them, "after all, you brought it here" and the response is to be stared at as though they had just seen a partial arrive, the concept appears to be a totally foreign one.
There’s no apology needed, we are ‘kindred spirits’ on this forum (mostly, lol) I am also ‘a picker up of rubbish’ (Paws for Plastic) but it’s the sheer amount that is currently overwhelming and depressing I would like to see more ‘punitive action’ taken by the authorities and not just ‘token words’.