Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Space Mate sliding boot shelf

M

McDee22

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Has anyone got the new Space Mate sliding boot shelf? Just seen the review on California Time and looks like a competitive alternative to the other options out there.
Keen to hear if anyone has views on it as I’m trying to pick between this and the Campervanbits one.

We looked at this one, but it seemed the high sides could be a hinderence to getting stuff in/out. I also think it’s a bit smaller than the one in the club shop.

Looks nicely built and the company that makes them is usually building proper material handling systems, so quality is good.

Same, looked at this and the wasted space on the sides and blocking the 12V socket broke it for us.
According to a comment they posted to the California Time review they’ve moved it now to free up the socket. Couldn’t find reference to that on their site so was going to email them. The post said they switched the wasted space to the RHS so the socket was accessible.

I’m firmly in the not needed camp, for a 6.1 at least. The ability to raise the bed board allows full access to the boot space, unlike earlier models. So it’s a lot of weight to carry and a fairly hefty investment, reducing your useable space for very limited benefit imo - I would recommend using the van for a while and then see if you think you still need it.

I’m firmly in the not needed camp, for a 6.1 at least. The ability to raise the bed board allows full access to the boot space, unlike earlier models. So it’s a lot of weight to carry and a fairly hefty investment, reducing your useable space for very limited benefit imo - I would recommend using the van for a while and then see if you think you still need it.
I'm inclined to agree - With all four seats occupied, payload can be a concern and this is extra weight I don't think I need.

To be fair, the tray from the club shop also blocks the 12v socket. If it becomes an issue I’ll look at moving the socket
The version I have from Calicap.de also blocks the socket however it’s not been an issue. If I needed 12v in the boot space i’d either move the socket or use an extension lead.

Some good points and I thought the same until I looked at the stats. At 24kg on a 3 ton van I’m not convinced the weight of it is a major issue and the change to the bias to have the space on the right and therefore the socket usable is a good tweak. The inability to fit the 335 in it easily is a stopper for me as well as the aformentioned “do we really need it” comments. For sure it would be nice to get things from the back without having to empty the front onto the floor each time, but TBF it’s no massive hassle. When it comes down to next purchase being a dashcam or this the dashcam currently top…

Just one other point to note on rear slide out drawers. If you need to access the rear leisure battery on an Ocean, then the slide out drawer has to be removed in order to open the access hatch. Not a major issue with the Calicap one I have - just two thumb screws and light enough to be a one man job. Not sure about other versions?

Some good points and I thought the same until I looked at the stats. At 24kg on a 3 ton van I’m not convinced the weight of it is a major issue and the change to the bias to have the space on the right and therefore the socket usable is a good tweak. The inability to fit the 335 in it easily is a stopper for me as well as the aformentioned “do we really need it” comments. For sure it would be nice to get things from the back without having to empty the front onto the floor each time, but TBF it’s no massive hassle. When it comes down to next purchase being a dashcam or this the dashcam currently top…
The 335 fits just fine, it has to be over to the right as the bracket on the left gets in the way.

The 335 fits just fine, it has to be over to the right as the bracket on the left gets in the way.
Odd - on the video it only fit far back right (where ours sits happily) when they have the mat out. Has this been changed? Or do you mean front right?

It's about 5% of my payload and all those 5%'s add up. So it's not for me, as 3 extra passengers already account for 40ish %. It all adds up.

It's about 5% of my payload and all those 5%'s add up. So it's not for me, as 3 extra passengers already account for 40ish %. It all adds up.
The weight isn’t an issue for us, it’s just us in the van, no kids no dog. The convenience is a big plus and also I just think they are neat.

Apologies, I was referring to the one from the clubshop, and mine fits anywhere on the righthand side of the tray....see photo.

View attachment 99908
So I committed in the end to the club shop one, but unfortunately it arrived today damaged from what looks like a drop and impact. The edge of the unit is shot and bent out of shape. I'm due to go away tomorrow so needless to say very disappointing! That said, aside from the damage, looks like a good bit of kit. I very much suspect the fault lies with DPD so hopefully the club shop is able to resolve for me.
:(

So I committed in the end to the club shop one, but unfortunately it arrived today damaged from what looks like a drop and impact. The edge of the unit is shot and bent out of shape. I'm due to go away tomorrow so needless to say very disappointing! That said, aside from the damage, looks like a good bit of kit. I very much suspect the fault lies with DPD so hopefully the club shop is able to resolve for me.
:(
That’s a shame as it’s a really useful piece of kit. We’ve had our first trip away in the van over the last few days and getting stuff in/out of the “boot” was faff free.

Our tray was delivered in a large box, screwed to a piece of plywood and well padded with foam all around. It must have been a hefty drop to dent it. Hopefully you’ll get it swapped soon.

That’s a shame as it’s a really useful piece of kit. We’ve had our first trip away in the van over the last few days and getting stuff in/out of the “boot” was faff free.

Our tray was delivered in a large box, screwed to a piece of plywood and well padded with foam all around. It must have been a hefty drop to dent it. Hopefully you’ll get it swapped soon.
Yeah same, screwed into a plywood board. It really must have an almighty whack as the weld was cracked and both tray and frame deformed. I’ve just finished packing this evening and am 100% convinced one of these trays is the right answer for us.

Has anyone got the new Space Mate sliding boot shelf? Just seen the review on California Time and looks like a competitive alternative to the other options out there.
Keen to hear if anyone has views on it as I’m trying to pick between this and the Campervanbits one.

Giving it some serious thought. Lifting the back shelf is great for access but not if it’s full of bedding. Trying to figure out if losing my existing two plastic boxes gives that much more room. I’m 75% decided on this but have just ordered a Cali wrap and will see where that fits first. Good to read all the comments

Just bought mine after chatting to Simon, the maker and clearing up some of the finer details on the V2 and how it will work for us. Thought the latest video was a little lacklustre though, missing the usual depth of info. Pickup Sat.

That’s a really helpful photo. I currently have those same plastic boxes. So in effect by having the tray you do lose some of the height available?
From what I could gather on the V2, yes, but a lot less than the V1 as he has the mechanism as close as he can to the floor. Will also depend on if you have a 6 or a 6.1 - the mechanism for the reclining back gets in the way on the 6.1, especially on the left hand side. The new V2 though is a lot lower so the 335 now clears the bar on the right hand side with the matting in.

Just bought mine after chatting to Simon, the maker and clearing up some of the finer details on the V2 and how it will work for us. Thought the latest video was a little lacklustre though, missing the usual depth of info. Pickup Sat.
Look forward to your feedback after fitting

Back