Spare gas cylinder query.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I want to carry a spare gas cylinder. I have a 907 already. Is the 901 suitable as a spare?

Off on a 4 week trip to Nordkapp in May and will be doing a fair amount of cooking and coffee etc. will be wild camping as well and don't want to run out of gas for my brew in the middle of nowhere.

Whilst a 901 will work. There are 3 potential issues I can think of.

1. It may not run both burners very well, as gas lpg relies on the surface area of the liquid in the bottle to make the gas (effectively it boils off). The surface area of a 901 bottle is vastly smaller than a 904 or 907.

2. If it does work it won't last very long at all. 901's are usually just used for lamps in my experience (Calor / camping gaz retailer).

3. They are hard to come by. Many retailers don't stock them due to such low demand. We only sell about 4 refills a year, compared to probably about 100 907's.

I always keep a spare 907 bottle on the van for piece of mind, I wouldn't want to run out of gas half way through cooking a meal :(

Alan

I pack a spare 907. It tucks into the rear corner of the boot space and really does not compromise space. I would not wish to mess around with anything smaller, hardly worth the effort. Nordkapp is a long way, you will need plenty of gas.

Thank you rich-s. I hadn't thought of that. So a 904 would be Ok. It's just that Campingaz, although very common in Europe, it is less so in Scandinavia.

You would not have a problem with the ability to make gas with a 904 as the surface area is identical to 907. :thumb

a 901 works fine, i carry two, one for a bbq and a spare for the bus when needed. not sure about the surface area stuff, not heard that before but at 37mbar you have plenty of capacity and in reality should last quite a while at least a few days

Ian

We carried a 901 around for a while, then replaced it with one of those convenient square stoves that has an aerosol can inside that you see in all the camping shops for about £15. The logic being that we can use the stove outside for cooking smelly fish or curry; and it doubles as a spare if the gas runs out.

I also didn't want to mess about swapping gas cylinders over in a howling blizzard in the middle of preparing a meal!

If you are out in the wilds I would recommend a spare 907 for the extra capacity, usually very cheap on Gumtree, I got a half full one for £10. We always carry a spare and have had to use it when the gas ran out during a meal.

Shop around for refills we normally pay £20.

I have cheap 1 ring cooker that runs on airosol cartridges. Can also cook outside with this. Came from go outdoors about £10.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I have cheap 1 ring cooker that runs on airosol cartridges. Can also cook outside with this. Came from go outdoors about £10.

Sent from my SM-G900F

With Andy on this one..

Actually have two of these and a couple of folding handled cast iron griddles from a supermarket in Ivrea.

Cocked many a meal outdoors on these, including frequent breakfasts for 15+

The stoves cost us about £12 each including 5 cylinders.

I have a spare 907 which is advertised on Preloved at £15, but would accept a tenner from a Cali member. I'm in Leicester though, but in Monmouth a couple of times a month and could leave it there.
I did the NordKapp in 2012 on my motorbike, went up through Sweden for speed and price. Took my camping stove plus spare cylinder, but never took it off the bike because every camp site had a lovely fitted kitchen, free to use.
Ian210

Hi Ian210, yes that is the way I'm going, want to drive " The Bridge ". I'm on my own as SWMBO is busy doing a University course and doesn't fancy a 2,500 mile drive North, prefers driving South.:bananadance