Gas cylinder alternative??

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Just wondering if there is any way to replace the standard gas cylinder with smaller (yes smaller) versions. My logic is as follows..........
My van only uses the gas for cooking and doesn't get much use. Having come out of a Reimo City van with a cannister cooker, I got a good feel of how long these lasted, and always carried a few spares. I always knew where I was up to.
Unless I'm missing a trick, I believe its difficult to assess how much gas is left in my standard Cali cylinder (albeit in a T4). As I don't carry a spare, I fear being left isolated. I'm probably carrying a fair bit of weight too.
A quick google search showed that Campingaz CV270 Gas Cartridge for a £5 would be ideal for me, but I know nothing of the fittings I have or would be required. It's looks small enough to store 2 (perhaps 3...ie 1 in use, 2 spare) in the gas locker. I'm sure there are other sizes (even cannisters) that would meet my goal.
I know the unit cost of gas would increase, but I'd happily trade that for knowing much more accurately how much has I have left.
Any ideas would be appreciated, even if they just knock the idea on its head.

We carry a smaller Campingaz (901 from memory) that fits the fittings directly. That way, if the big one runs out we still have a few days to a weeks worth of gas before we HAVE to get a refill.

I've never yet used it as I've always found a suitable 907 refill in time!

wilupo7 said:
Just wondering if there is any way to replace the standard gas cylinder with smaller (yes smaller) versions. My logic is as follows..........
My van only uses the gas for cooking and doesn't get much use. Having come out of a Reimo City van with a cannister cooker, I got a good feel of how long these lasted, and always carried a few spares. I always knew where I was up to.
Unless I'm missing a trick, I believe its difficult to assess how much gas is left in my standard Cali cylinder (albeit in a T4). As I don't carry a spare, I fear being left isolated. I'm probably carrying a fair bit of weight too.
A quick google search showed that Campingaz CV270 Gas Cartridge for a £5 would be ideal for me, but I know nothing of the fittings I have or would be required. It's looks small enough to store 2 (perhaps 3...ie 1 in use, 2 spare) in the gas locker. I'm sure there are other sizes (even cannisters) that would meet my goal.
I know the unit cost of gas would increase, but I'd happily trade that for knowing much more accurately how much has I have left.
Any ideas would be appreciated, even if they just knock the idea on its head.

We weigh our cylinder occasionally to check on gas usage. The base weight of the empty cylinder is stamped on it (something like 3.65kg and they hold 2.7kg of gas). We're still on our first cylinder but then mainly cook with our Cobb and use an electric kettle if on hookup.

Alternatively as the other poster suggested you could use a 901 or a 904 instead of the 907 or as a spare.

Simon

Thanks for the feedback. Just realised how small the 901 is, which may be good to carry as a spare. Nearly died though when I saw a refill for 1lb of gas in a 901 is £15, whereas 6lb of gas in my 907 bottle is (just) £25 (prices quoted from same supplier to compare).

Those disposable canister type jobs (250g) I use in my portable cooker can be picked up for £1.50 ish and are really lightweight. Pity those can't be used as emergency spares on my cali's cooker. I'm sure a connector could be made.

Interesting one this. We made a lot of trips this year (23 weekends in total plus a two week trip). At the start of the year I fitted a fresh 907 bottle. It ran out at trip number 20. Luckily I checked it before hand and found it empty as an empty thing.

Our average weekend usage rate would be not much more than boiling the kettle each morning and cooking breaky. Through out the summer the default setting is BBQ or cook on the fire so the hob doesn't get too much use. Obviously it took more use during the two week holiday.

I guess this gives some idea of how long a bottle will last. I do have a spare 907 that I can pop in the van if I think I'm in danger of running out.

I know the T5's have the gas bottle in a different place to the T4 and I was considering moving it from under the hob to the bottom of the wardrobe so freeing up more space for stuff to rattle around in!

If I do this I think I'll engineer a duty/standby system made up of two smaller bottles with a change over valve arrangement thingy. That way I should, in theory, never run out.

S.

Hi Sidepod. That's the crux of the problem. You've something that will last close to a year and no spare. Two smaller bottles would appear to be a wiser solution.
I guess the other way is just to replace the big bottle in good time. Its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things - just feels a little wasteful.

I guess the problem here is the initial outlay for the bottle. Refills are relatively inexpensive but to buy a bottle outright is costly.

I picked one up at the local dump. You have to be quick and sneaky or you'll get a telling off from the hi-viz operatives who's purpose in life is to be overly officious.

Alternatively look on eBay for an empty.

I run on bottled gas at home so I might build a rack for the back of the Cali and install two pairs of 47kg propane bottles. Then I'll never run out. :cool:

S.

wilupo7 said:
Those disposable canister type jobs (250g) I use in my portable cooker can be picked up for £1.50 ish and are really lightweight. Pity those can't be used as emergency spares on my cali's cooker.
Why not use this portable as back up? You've already got it, the gas can (surprisingly) work out cheaper, it's not particularly bulky (if it's the type I'm thinking of) and you can cook outside. After all, all you need is something to get you through 'till you can find a refill.

Hi Nick. Its not a bad solution. I only tend to take it with me in summer and when I've got the family with me, but I could leave it in as you suggest.
I still think they'd be better off with 2 smaller bottles. Once I'm set up on camp, (Awning out, stuff everywhere) I often leave the van in situ and use my bike. I don't fancy carrying a 907 on my bike rack!

Hi ,

Does anyone know if these Gaslow refillable LPG cylinders are compatible with California burners and if they will fit in the California gas locker ( water storage unit ).

These refillable gas containers can be refilled or simply topped up at any LPG filling station
and will result in never having to worry about the gas cylinder being nearly empty ( or not )

Big initial outlay but LPG is cheap as chips compared to bottled gas.

Big quaestion is will the work with Cali burners and will it fit the gas locker.

Anyone already fitted one ?

Hi dfps. If you don't get the response you need here, try the Gas section in the Technical part of the forum.
I started this particular thread, and i don't think it has a particularly large following.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Perhaps you may need to change the jets in the burner but that should be straight forward enough.

S

Not checked, but do the associated regs permit installation inside a vehicle ? Does the filler need to be external ? that seems logical to me for safety reasons.
I would talk to a certified installer to check on the above & questions as to weather the calis cooker will work on LPG.

My father in law had a filler installed and yes, I believe it does need to be mounted externally.
Perhaps this is just to make filling it easier?

The installation was pretty sub-standard. For some reason it got mounted under the sill. One slightly large speed hump and it'll get removed! If you don't want holes cut in ther side of the van then I guess there is little other option?

S.

I am afraid to tell you the Gaslow will not fit in a California, the best way answer to economy and cnot to get caught out is to carry a 907 an normal and have a 901 as a standby.
Now here comes the big one fill you own bottles, I went in to this in a lot of detail on the previous forum location. A refill for my 907 costs me about £4.00, but I never let it get low just top up before each trip. the 901 has only ever come in to use after a 45 day trip and then it was only on the last day.
Filling bottles is no more problem than filling a car with fuel, in fact it is safer any spills evaporate in seconds.
When I get home will dig out all the pics and post a guide to filling if any one is interested
Mick

I would like to point out that refilling any gas bottle that is not designed to be refilled by the end user is both illegal in the United Kingdom and is extremely dangerous.

I would ask everyone to ignore the previous post.

leave em too it arthur :x

steviej said:
Yes please post the guide as I'm interested in filling my own bottle.

Thanks

Stephen

for the small amount of money savings why and a massive safety issue and possibly being illegal without a license ..why ..??????

We have spent a very very large amount of money on a cali ,so filing a bottle or 2 in a season will not make much difference i feel .....
I know it's about saving money ,but there are easier ,safer ways of saving afew quid :smile

100% agree on safety. On the other hand I'll try and get some plutonium and knock up a reactor for cheap leccy !!

All this talk of legality and risk was why I stopped giving help on the original FB forum.
There is no legal reason to stop you from doing what you want if you own the bottle, only if you lease or rent. The risk is minimal for anyone with more than on brain cell, I will send guide privately to those who would like it.
Over the past 10 years we have saved a fortune, the fact that we run our car, moped, lawnmower and generator on bottled LPG. has only given more experience than most on the pros and Cons.
With regard to safety any spilt gas evaporates in seconds . And when people talk about the pressure the obviously have no idea how low it is, especialy when compared to scuba tanks, which many strap to their back or decant into air rifles.
Mick.