Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel – looking for a definative answer

Fitted an 18” wheel and tyre underneath the van no problem out of curiosity when I swapped from 18s to 17s. There was a guy on here who fitted 19s underneath. Surprising amount of space.

Fitted an 18” wheel and tyre underneath the van no problem out of curiosity when I swapped from 18s to 17s. There was a guy on here who fitted 19s underneath. Surprising amount of space.
Problem to be aware of with over 17" wheels is that the rim width usually increases as well as the diameter which gives reduced ground clearance.
As the tyre profile reduces with wheel size overall diameter isn't a problem due that being reasonably constant across the 16" to 20" range.

Problem to be aware of with over 17" wheels is that the rim width usually increases as well as the diameter which gives reduced ground clearance.
As the tyre profile reduces with wheel size overall diameter isn't a problem due that being reasonably constant across the 16" to 20" range.
Worth pointing out that VW supply the fitting with spacers and a height adjustable fitting on the van to allow for adjustable rim widths. If they only wanted a 17 inch rim in the space they probably would not do so…

Anybody know if this will fit in the holder?

Diameter: 689mm
Depth: 160mm

Why on earth would you use that skinny thing when you can get a proper vw wheel & tyre for less.

In answer to your question will it fit? the answer is probably not as its too narrow & it will be too loose a fit on the bracket. The narrowist tyre that VW got I believe is 215mm so 160mm is a fair bit less.

Why on earth would you use that skinny thing when you can get a proper vw wheel & tyre for less.

In answer to your question will it fit? the answer is probably not as its too narrow & it will be too loose a fit on the bracket. The narrowist tyre that VW got I believe is 215mm so 160mm is a fair bit

I was wondering why nobody used this kind of thing. Hadn’t picked up on the narrower thickness :thanks

I’m surprised nobody does an all in one kit for this

I was wondering why nobody used this kind of thing. Hadn’t picked up on the narrower thickness :thanks

I’m surprised nobody does an all in one kit for this
It's called a 17" steel VW wheel with a 215 or 235 tyre. Fitted in a VW spare wheel carrier. Takes up no luggage room.

2nd hand Full size alloy that matches the rest of your wheels will work out far cheaper. Loads on the popular auction sites. Approx £100

Last edited:
Worth pointing out that VW supply the fitting with spacers and a height adjustable fitting on the van to allow for adjustable rim widths. If they only wanted a 17 inch rim in the space they probably would not do so…
As far as I know (can be updated) VW have non spacer for 16x6" rims and spacer for 17x7"" rims but no adjustable spacers for other sizes..

Spacesaver wheels have 50MPH/80KPH speed limit which can be an issue if a few hundred mile trip ahead.

Back