Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Threads for simple punctures - How to Article + some other tips.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
If you have 18” , or larger wheels, you won’t have a spare wheel. Instead you’ll have a can of sealant and an electric compressor. Unfortunately, if you have a simple puncture, screw or nail in the tread, which is eminently repairable by your local tyre shop, but are forced to use your can of sealant to get to the garage/ tyre shop then you may find them less than willing or just refuse to repair the tyre because you’ve the sealant.

Here is a simpler alternative, not a permanent repair, but more than adequate to get to a garage/tyre shop for a proper repair.

Disclaimer - some have used this as the only repair, but it is not advisable.

Bacon Strips. Cycling tyre fix.

I agree. I carry one of these in my camper.
However I have no plans to try to remove a wheel and repair a puncture at the roadside - job for AA/RAC etc etc. If you don't remove the nail and pump the tyre up to 4bar, you should get a fair distance to safety.
That depends where you are. In the UK, fine. There are other places though that people travel to where that may not be possible or convenient.

Have had to do this twice on the car in the last month, on two tyres. Also done it on a motorcycle tyre whilst in the middle of France.
They are a good temporary fix until you can get it properly repaired. They are not the easiest thing to do, but worth carrying a kit just incase.
Both of my tyres had done less than 3000 miles, I was quite happy to leave them whilst doing lots of local low speed trips. Due to unexpected circumstances I had to change them for a big trip.
Unfortunately for me the nail & screw were to close to the edge of the tread for a repair. My wallet is much lighter now :•(

I would always recommend a puncture repair kit and a good air compressor in every vehicle. Would I repair a puncture by the side of the motorway? - no I would not ...but on a A/B-road where there is sufficient space to safely pull over - definitely I would.

On Thursday evening, started from Newbury and immediately got a warning of low tyre pressure left front. Pull over at the petrol station forecourt, took out my compressor to check the air and noticed a piece of metal lodged in the tyre, from where air was leaking.

Pulled out the repair kit, in goes a noodle strip, and viola - less than 4 minutes, was fixed and on my way into Heathrow and back. If I were to call the AA, that would be a min of 90 mins wait. If I had to change to the spare, that would have been about 15 mins (practiced routine).

Depending on the situation, decide upon the course of action. Having this kit always helps.

I agree. I carry one of these in my camper.
However I have no plans to try to remove a wheel and repair a puncture at the roadside - job for AA/RAC etc etc. If you don't remove the nail and pump the tyre up to 4bar, you should get a fair distance to safety.
I carry one of these as you don't need a reamer which makes the hole in your tyre bigger.

That 3rd video is the sort of position of my two punctures. Too close to the side wall for a safe repair at the tyre fitters.
The motorcycle video is something I've done before. It last triple figure riding for 1000 miles, mainly as no French m/c shop would repair it, it's not something I would advise doing.
These things are great just to keep you going, also the tyre fitter will be happier to repair it than if you'd slimed it.

Back