Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel and carrier

Loz2286

Loz2286

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all

Anyone able to tell me how much a dealer fitted spare and carrier would cost on a 22MY T6.1? I got caught out with no spare on my Caddy van this week and have decided that ALL my vehicles are now going to have a spare.

Thanks

Its a ten minute job to fit yourself, I bought the bits off ebay.
About £70 for the cradle with bolts, £30 for a grotty steel spare with legal tyre & then the cost of a spare safe to stop it being knicked.

Its a ten minute job to fit yourself, I bought the bits off ebay.
About £70 for the cradle with bolts, £30 for a grotty steel spare with legal tyre & then the cost of a spare safe to stop it being knicked.
Would you need a Sparesafe with a grotty spare?;)

You need the bolts the correct size spacers for the wheel you are using and the pin to hold it up

Would you need a Sparesafe with a grotty spare?;)
yes - they don't know its grotty till they've got it out from under the van.

eBay item number:255194057586 has the pin and bolts - thats all the bits you are looking for, not suggesting you buy from them its just to show what you need.

there are also jacks on eBay that fit properly where the VW jack should go, don't forget this bit!

there are also jacks on eBay that fit properly where the VW jack should go, don't forget this bit!
You still get a jack on a new van even without a spare wheel.

You still get a jack on a new van even without a spare wheel.
really? I got a jack shaped bit of plastic fitted into the left rear wheel arch (beach) and a compressor with tyre weld under the seat but no jack.

Mine came with the full tool set attached behind the bench & a loose package with the pump & gung.

But unfortunately not an effing great lump hammer to get the wheel with the puncture off the hub where it's corroded on. :headbang :D
I expect the VW assist / AA man to be doing that bit, when its up on a heavy duty trolly jack. Theres no way I'm hitting anything hard if its only supported on a VW jack.

Hi all

Anyone able to tell me how much a dealer fitted spare and carrier would cost on a 22MY T6.1? I got caught out with no spare on my Caddy van this week and have decided that ALL my vehicles are now going to have a spare.

Thanks
I got a brand new alloy wheel on eBay from a guy in Minehead. He has lots of them. He also had a couple of carriers to sell The wheel had a brand new tire on it all for 100 pounds . The wheel was smaller than my 18" alloys but it fits underneath OK which an 18" one wouldn't. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago when I had a puncture in France and it worked a treat . The tyree is a bigger profile so the actual diameter of the combined spare wheel and tire is a very small percentage smaller than the 18" wheel with a 45 profile tyre. It is quite a lot narrower which is one reason why it fits underneath. To drive at normal speeds you wouldn't have known the difference.

I got a brand new alloy wheel on eBay from a guy in Minehead. He has lots of them. He also had a couple of carriers to sell The wheel had a brand new tire on it all for 100 pounds . The wheel was smaller than my 18" alloys but it fits underneath OK which an 18" one wouldn't. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago when I had a puncture in France and it worked a treat . The tyree is a bigger profile so the actual diameter of the combined spare wheel and tire is a very small percentage smaller than the 18" wheel with a 45 profile tyre. It is quite a lot narrower which is one reason why it fits underneath. To drive at normal speeds you wouldn't have known the difference.
Have you tried your 18s underneath? No reason why they won’t fit.

Have you tried your 18s underneath? No reason why they won’t fit.
I've fitted a 7.5"x18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre with no problem but reckon the normal 8"x18" rim with a 255/45/18 tyre would be due to that extra 0.5" rim width plus the tyre reducing ground clearance could also be a factor.

I've fitted a 7.5"x18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre with no problem but reckon the normal 8"x18" rim with a 255/45/18 tyre would be due to that extra 0.5" rim width plus the tyre reducing ground clearance could also be a factor.
When the snow stops I will get the 18s out of the garage and experiment. There is a guy here who has 19s as a spare.

When the snow stops I will get the 18s out of the garage and experiment. There is a guy here who has 19s as a spare.
Rim width usually goes up with diameter. As does tyre width.

Rack designed for 235 tyre width (with spacers)

But unfortunately not an effing great lump hammer to get the wheel with the puncture off the hub where it's corroded on. :headbang :D
The wheels on these vans are 'hubcentric' relying on the circularity of the wheel hub to snugly centre the wheel. For that reason they should be cleaned of all rust/oxidation with a Scotchbrite pad and a thin smear of high temperature silicone grease applied - similar to what is used on brake components. With that practice you'll never need the hammer to budge the wheels of. Oh, and no grease on the wheel lug threads...!

The wheels on these vans are 'hubcentric' relying on the circularity of the wheel hub to snugly centre the wheel. For that reason they should be cleaned of all rust/oxidation with a Scotchbrite pad and a thin smear of high temperature silicone grease applied - similar to what is used on brake components. With that practice you'll never need the hammer to budge the wheels of. Oh, and no grease on the wheel lug threads...!
Wheel "lug" threads - like tires for tyres. USA prevailes

Back