Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stuck with no spare

F

fatty thumb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
i am currently waiting for recovery on the A46 rear tyre has gone flat and when my hubby went to change it
No spare just the carrier thingy the bolts were hand tight. Why would someone want to pinch my spare wheel?
Feeling annoyed..

• Thanks
Reactions: JRD
Sorry to hear that.

The Transporter spare is easily stolen and very popular.
Easy money. There must be lots of them stacked up in breakers yards.

Get yourself a Sparesafe when you replace it. Available from the Club shop.

Alan

:Iamsorry. I sympathise for you in your predicament. However, if your going to be using the vehicle you should have been checking the tyres on a regular basis and that includes the spare.
Unfortunately they are easily removed, steel wheels and have a ready market so often go missing unless you take precautions. Many posts on this problem on the Forum.
When you get your replacement I would suggest looking at the SpareSafe as sold in the Forum Shop.

Seems a common thing
Some reading ....
IMG_7388.PNG

My brand new wheel / tyre went too - i have bought a steel wheel with a hardly used continental tyre on it for £20.00 - i have bought a locking bolt - hopefully its not so attractive now, but i check it often -

My brand new wheel / tyre went too - i have bought a steel wheel with a hardly used continental tyre on it for £20.00 - i have bought a locking bolt - hopefully its not so attractive now, but i check it often -

Ha, I wonder where that wheel you bought came from... :veryfunny

Must buy myself a Sparesafe though...

Ha, I wonder where that wheel you bought came from... :veryfunny

Must buy myself a Sparesafe though...
Could it be classed as 'recycling' ? Green fingered rather than light fingered types.

The locking bolt is as useful as a chocolate tea pot, we had one on ours but the wheel was still stolen!!

The locking bolt is as useful as a chocolate tea pot, we had one on ours but the wheel was still stolen!!
Its a terrible situation - getting pretty lawless out there i reckon - the police are not interested. Rig it up to an inverted electrical bolt that will make them think again

How annoying is that! Feel for you.
Spare Safe and Dash Cams (front and rear) are good protectors.

I think the common one to get stolen is the 17" steel,,unfortunately they are very popular and demanding high money on eBay.
just search vw t5 17" steel..
Maybe best to take it out if you still have one there?
Unfortunately a bit too late for cresswell.
But
buy a second hand 16" one of a standard t5 van and it will never get stolen.after all its only to get you home! just make sure it's the same rolling radius size wise ..you can't give the 16" away on eBay.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies we are back home now checking our cctv but not sure when it happened as the cali is not our daily. we now have a brand new tyre fitted as the damage was to bad. I had not heard of a sparesafe but will look into it when we find a new spare.
Not the morning I was expecting.

I think the common one to get stolen is the 17" steel,,unfortunately they are very popular and demanding high money on eBay.
But
buy a second hand 16" one of a standard t5 van and it will never get stolen.after all its only to get you home! just make sure it's the same rolling radius size wise ..you can't give the 16" away on eBay.

Many of the Calis cannot use 16" due to the large brakes. So better check that before you go shopping ;-)

Yep. that's right only the 130ps and 140ps will be ok on16" wheels

But

Thats probably not a bad idea if the van can use it :)

I am sorry to say if you buy the 17" from ebay or second hand chances are you are probably creating the market and encouraging the theft in the first place. These tealeafs are just selling our own spares back to us. Why would anyone have a spare spare unless they broke a van or changed wheel entirely?

Mine is marked with smart water and a few other marks but the chance of that being spotted it slim. 2 and a half years in with a sparesafe and (touch wood) its still there..

The " Locking Bolt " on its own is easily overcome with a pair of Mole Grips, because the Bolt Head is not protected as it is on a wheel.
The SpareSafe adds this protection.

Legoland is if this forum is anything to go by, the most common place to lose your spare oddly

Currently I have the spare locked to the carrier with a cycle lock (heavy duty) that I already had lying around, before looking at the commercial solutions

Legoland is if this forum is anything to go by, the most common place to lose your spare oddly
My daughter took her family to Legoland recently. I warned her about the thefts before she went. It made no difference, she had her spare stolen from their new Land Rover Disco. They also stole the bracket and winch thing for hauling the wheel up tight under the car. The estimate from the dealership was well in excess of £1000. She is furious because when she bought the car they had told her that it wasn't possible to steel the spare wheel due to the design. So much for that.
IMO these thefts have to be some form of organised racket.

Thanks for all the useful comments (as per usual!) Just looking in the club shop at which to buy - one comes with a security wheel bolt, one without. We've not yet received our Cali - but when it does arrive, and assuming the wheel isn't stolen between pick-up and getting home - I guess we won't need the additional bolt, as there'll be one on there?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...l-locking-device-including-locking-wheel-bolt

My daughter took her family to Legoland recently. I warned her about the thefts before she went. It made no difference, she had her spare stolen from their new Land Rover Disco. They also stole the bracket and winch thing for hauling the wheel up tight under the car. The estimate from the dealership was well in excess of £1000. She is furious because when she bought the car they had told her that it wasn't possible to steel the spare wheel due to the design. So much for that.
IMO these thefts have to be some form of organised racket.

Shocking! How can they not sort this, must have people on the inside turning a blind-eye.

Thanks for all the useful comments (as per usual!) Just looking in the club shop at which to buy - one comes with a security wheel bolt, one without. We've not yet received our Cali - but when it does arrive, and assuming the wheel isn't stolen between pick-up and getting home - I guess we won't need the additional bolt, as there'll be one on there?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...l-locking-device-including-locking-wheel-bolt
Unless you ordered 18" wheels, if so no spare wheel or mounting bracket.

Back