Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel nicked grrrrr

CaliforniaDAN said:
Is it essential that the locking wheel bolt for the alloy wheel is needed for the sparesafe to fit ?

I have a steel wheel with part worn tyre will I need the longer alloy wheel bolt?

I got sold the short one by a VW dealer and realised later that it is only gripping by a couple of threads. It is not whether the spare is steel or alloy but the size of the tyre on the wheel, e.g. if you have the Thunder Alloys (17") the same spare tyre will be on a steel spare.

These are slightly wider than the 17 steel wheels with winter tyres I bought from Benn on here. So the snow chains I bought for my 17 steels with winter tyres won't fit my 17" alloys with summer tyres due to the different profiles.

I would go for the longer bolt.

Andy

Reading with interest the saga of stolen pare wheels, My VW was supplied new with a steel spare so not so attractive as an alloy, I had a VW "security bolt" fitted which I now see does not provide any security so decided something extra was required. It appears the main weakness of the security bolt is the outer rotating sleeve which can simply be removed without too much effort.

Looked at the sparesafe ones which provide that protection and decided I could do something that looked a bit neater and provide the required protection. After a bit of digging in the garage found an old motorbike fork stanchion and large steel washer to provide the parts to weld together, see pics:

Donor stanchion and finished component

Parts ready for assembly, note washer / spacer to prevent bending spare tyre frame when tightening

Parts fitted

Hopefully that will keep my spare a bit safer than before.

Photo0037.jpg P7150779.JPG P7150772.JPG

Good work :thumb I love things that have been handmade

spare wheel security

Spare safe / locking bolt / bike lock.. ????

How easy is it to fit a bike lock / what kind have folk used ? Must be a video out there somewhere .....

al

:Does not have to be a bike lock. Any good quality chain and water proof padlock will do the job. :hello

Sugar.... ticked the option for an alloy spare wheel :doh

General conclusion? Safespare plus chain?

18in?

pjm-84 said:

18in?
18 inch wheel will not fit as a spare. Normally with 18 inch you get a bottle of tyre weld & a pump.

It was a bit tongue in cheek. If I run 18in I can't have a spare so no theft.

Just make sure your Roadside Assistance is currant or carry a Slime kit.

I have to replace both fronts soon, one of my worn tyres (still legal) will become my spare on my steel spare rim, who would go to the bother of stealing that?

sbmcd said:
I have to replace both fronts soon, one of my worn tyres (still legal) will become my spare on my steel spare rim, who would go to the bother of stealing that?

That is my plan as well - not sure the thieves are smart enough to check first, but at least all you lose is a knackered tyre and a steel wheel.

It also means when you replace front tyres you only pay for one :)

Just had our wheel stolen last night which also had the locking wheel but which is now missing. What recourse is there against VW if the locking wheel but has not been successful in its intended job.

Also what is the cost of a replacement alloy etc new?

Any help appreciated as currently really hacked off

You might have some luck getting another locking wheel bolt, and a good rant will make you feel better, but I would be amazed if they gave you a new spare - but I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

I deffo would not be buying a new allow spare - I would suggest a steel wheel from a scrap yard with a barely legal tyre on it.

Perhaps even paint it a funny colour this will have two benefits:

1 - detract the thieves from nicking it
2 - if you need to use it you will be rushing to get the puncture repaired :)

If buying a new wheel (used or new) remember if you have a 180 then you will need at lease a 17" wheel - due to the massive front discs.

I am interested in the spare safe lock but can't seem to find where to buy one, anyone help with a link. The eBay link doesn't seem to work for me and searching on eBay doesn't seem to bring any results.

it might be in the vip lounge as they are a vip partner, I got about ÂŁ7 off mine if not he is on eBay at full price

We have had 2 flats since owning the van, I carry a little plug in compressor and both times did not swop the wheels just pumped the flat up and off to the nearest tyre centre for puncture repair. Many tyre centres say they will not repair a tyre filled with the sealant, do not know if true or not. As stated in my earlier post on this thread we sport a well used legal tyre as a spare.

I gave also been told by tyre fitter that they will not do repairs on tyres with slime in the. Is very difficult to get rid of slime before patching.

Andy said:
pjm-84 said:

18in?
18 inch wheel will not fit as a spare. Normally with 18 inch you get a bottle of tyre weld & a pump.

If you have 18"s Can you not have a 17" spare and a fatter tyre - I appreciate it will handle a bit off, but can't be any worse than those spacesavers you get on cars?

Also if you get a proper blow out no amount of Jello is going to save you.

T

I have 18 inch wheels with a 16 inch spare :thumb :thumb not that I am worried

I must be unlucky then. I have yet to have a puncture that can be repaired by the tyre shop, also unless you spot a flat before driving and it can be repaired then what damage has been done to the tyre side wall etc:. I don't take chances. New tyre every time, which I have had to do anyway as the tyre has always been unrepairable because of damage or where the puncture is.
Slime is water soluble, and any tyre fitter that refuses just cannot be bothered. :headbang

teeboy said:
Andy said:
pjm-84 said:

18in?

If you have 18"s Can you not have a 17" spare and a fatter tyre - I appreciate it will handle a bit off, but can't be any worse than those spacesavers you get on cars?

Also if you get a proper blow out no amount of Jello is going to save you.

T
Yes you can. But you will have to buy it all yourself. I meant as standard.

On sale on e-bay too, would be interested in comparison with Sparesafe available through A L Tyres (VIP discount!)

Back