Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare Wheel Lock Nuts

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Silly question I know but where can i get a lock nut for my spare wheel? Can anyone advise please?
I keep seeing references to spare wheels being taken so, better safe than sorry.

Thanks Lee.... why didn't I think of that!

David

True make sure you get the right length for the wheel & tyre size ...

Smg have sold loads to members give Steve Mann a call on the parts desk and they post out as well :)

The two types apply to your road wheels, not your spare. So if you have alloy road wheels (like we all do I think) then order then long one.

I ordered from breeze on ebay and they sorted me a long one - no problems.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the advice, I have just ordered a bolt from Steve at SMG. £12.50, no postage. Roughly comparable price to some of the other sites you told me about.
Thanks also for the advice on the long or short bolt. I have a steel spare and alloy road wheels so initially I ordered a short bolt but then changed this to a long one in case I needed to store a punctured road wheel back under the car. Not sure if that was sensible or not but it seems the right thing to do.

It is the width of the tyre that determines which bolt you need not the steel/alloy wheel. My tyres are 235/55/17 ie width is 55 so I needed the longer bolt. Believe me having lost my spare whilst waited for Breeze to swop the short bolt (which they originally supplied) for the longer one. I would think that all Callis have the wider tyres. The narrower ones being used by the White Van Man brigade where there is a thriving market in T5 spare wheels (stolen or otherwise acquired).

Our Cali has steel wheel(spare) the same size as bobs and the short length locking bolt supplied by breeze via ebay fitted with no issue

My Cali has the 235/55/17 tyre on a steel rim and Breeze supplied the short bolt which works perfectly. However, I didn't think about what happens if I had a puncture and the Alloy was in the spare wheel harness.

The original bolt was a long one and looking back I would go for the long one next time to cover all eventualities.

Andy

just kept the old long bolt in the van incase l dont want to put a flat alloy wheel in the back/boot
if I have room would not bother putting it in the cage

Goldie said:
My Cali has the 235/55/17 tyre on a steel rim and Breeze supplied the short bolt which works perfectly. However, I didn't think about what happens if I had a puncture and the Alloy was in the spare wheel harness.

The original bolt was a long one and looking back I would go for the long one next time to cover all eventualities.

Andy
Same tyre size as mine, also on a steel wheel and yet I couldn't get the short bolt to fit no matter how I tried. Curiouser and curiouser :?:

HistoryBob said:
Goldie said:

Andy
Same tyre size as mine, also on a steel wheel and yet I couldn't get the short bolt to fit no matter how I tried. Curiouser and curiouser :?:

Similar issue.... It's not actually dependent on whether the spare is steel or alloy... The length of the required bolt is driven by overall size of the largest wheel likely to be carried, so for most Cali's in the uk I'd suggest the longer locking bolt is what is needed

Once the spare steelie is on, you definitely want the old alloy locked in place as the steelie is flagging to the whole world that the alloy. Is hanging under the van.

Rgds

M

SmplyDubs wrote

Similar issue.... It's not actually dependent on whether the spare is steel or alloy... The length of the required bolt is driven by overall size of the largest wheel likely to be carried, so for most Cali's in the uk I'd suggest the longer locking bolt is what is needed

Once the spare steelie is on, you definitely want the old alloy locked in place as the steelie is flagging to the whole world that the alloy. Is hanging under the van.

I could understand it if the spare was a space saver, but my spare is the same make/size tyre 235/55/17 as fitted to the Thunder Alloys wheels.

Maybe the long bolt issue only affects those who upgrade to the 8j x 18" alloys, not the 7j x 17" and smaller. In that case you may have a 17 x7j spare and the 8jx18 would not fit in the cradle without the long bolt.

If this is the case are you restricted to 80kph/50mph with the spare fitted :?:

Andy

Goldie said:
I could understand it if the spare was a space saver, but my spare is the same make/size tyre 235/55/17 as fitted to the Thunder Alloys wheels.

Maybe the long bolt issue only affects those who upgrade to the 8j x 18" alloys, not the 7j x 17" and smaller. In that case you may have a 17 x7j spare and the 8jx18 would not fit in the cradle without the long bolt.

If this is the case are you restricted to 80kph/50mph with the spare fitted :?:

Andy

Interesting... I originally had 16" alloys fitted... As standard the cradle came with a long bolt. (Not locking... just the bolt) As such I'd suggest getting the long locking bolt.

The bolts are for the entire range, including base vans with their incredibly skinny wheels... hence the short bolt.

On a Cali... I'd get the same size as the non-locking one fitted. (Long in my case... The short wouldn't hold the 18" Dakars)

On the spare side... It's a full sized, similar rolling radius, full spec wheel and tire, load and speed rating (Not a space saver) So I don't think there's any restriction.

M

Hi Folks,
The long bolt has arrived courtesy of SMG and has been fitted, no problem. Feel a bit more secure now!
Interestingly, the old bolt is also a long one, confirming what's been said, it is the wheel size not the wheel material that decides the bolt length. The advice I got from the Forum to get the longer bolt was good so thanks again.

Thinks next, should I get one of those tubes that fit on the valve so that I can pump up the tyre without taking the wheel out of it's cradle............... decisions, decisions......

David

.... And watch how you fit it!

Happily undid the wrong one (the one that stops the cradle falling down) then removed the correct one which the lock bolt replaces.

As I was aligning the locking bolt, the cradle and wheel dropped across two of my fingers and drove them into the ground - awake for two nights with the pain and swelling. Lucky on grass or it may have been worse - looks like I'm in the process of losing two nails at the moment

Good luck!

Dave

Ouch! That is a heavy wheel. Sympathies.

I usually read the instructions only when all else has failed, but in this case I read them first (amazing, he used common sense, my wife would say!) , and managed to sort out which bolt to just undo and which one to actually remove.

It is not ideal though. You are supposed to insert the wheel nut spanner into the tray under the spare wheel to help control it as you lower it. But the spanner then rests on the ground so the tray is jammed too high to get the wheel out. A certain amount of muscle power is then required to hold the tray up by hand and remove the spanner so that the tray can drop down low enough to get the tyre out. It helps to have 3 hands at this point.

David

HistoryBob said:
It is the width of the tyre that determines which bolt you need not the steel/alloy wheel. My tyres are 235/55/17 ie width is 55 so I needed the longer bolt. Believe me having lost my spare whilst waited for Breeze to swop the short bolt (which they originally supplied) for the longer one. I would think that all Callis have the wider tyres. The narrower ones being used by the White Van Man brigade where there is a thriving market in T5 spare wheels (stolen or otherwise acquired).

The 235 is the width of the tyre and the 55 in the profile of the tyre....

Width = inside of rim to outside

Profile = edge of rim to top of tyre

So the higher the first number the wider the tyre...

Actually Profile is the ratio of the sidewall height as a percentage of the total width of the tyre. But your point is still true.

I think this entire thread can be summarized as - if you have a T5 with skinny tyres then get the short bolt, but if you have a Cali you may as well get the long bolt. Even if you can get away with a short bolt you still want to make it as hard as possible for the thieves so make them do some more unbolting :)

teeboy said:

Actually Profile is the ratio of the sidewall height as a percentage of the total width of the tyre. But your point is still true.

I think this entire thread can be summarized as - if you have a T5 with skinny tyres then get the short bolt, but if you have a Cali you may as well get the long bolt. Even if you can get away with a short bolt you still want to make it as hard as possible for the thieves so make them do some more unbolting :)

Ok just trying to keep it simple..... :D

Sorry for being a pedant - I had to google it - but my tyres looked more then 55mm high :lol:

Back