Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel on a 6.1 with Sport Pack - Need some help

A

AlfonzoBonzo1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi All

Looking for some help here I have a T6.1 with sport and obviously 18” wheels have no spare. I have a cradle, all the bolts and a wheel tire, but I can’t get the tire to fit. I understood the 235/55/17 would go cradle, but I just can’t get it go in. I’m on the lower holes of the cradle and still I’m about 25mm short of getting over the bolt. Cradle I bought did say for T5 but the part number when you search for it comes up as T6.1 as well so I’m assuming they are the same. I’m wondering if I deflated the tire whether it would fit obviously would need to use the compressor to pump it back up if I ever needed it.

IMG_0895.jpegIMG_0892.jpegIMG_0891.jpegIMG_0894.jpeg

Can anyone confirm the bold length on the left had bolt the one that stays in? I bought a 58mm but now thinking that maybe that’s and 25mm or so too short and would be used to pull the spare up if it where longer. The right one I bought a 52mm locking bolt IMG_0896.jpeg

Our 1st van (T5.1) came with standard 235 55 17 tyres and standard including the spare. On our current T6 it came with 215 60 17 tyres - I changed these to 235 55 17 and found I could only fit these on the spare cage by deflating the spare slightly. I carry a air pump so not an issue.

Our 1st van (T5.1) came with standard 235 55 17 tyres and standard including the spare. On our current T6 it came with 215 60 17 tyres - I changed these to 235 55 17 and found I could only fit these on the spare cage by deflating the spare slightly. I carry an air pump so not an issue.
Just tried letting almost all the air out and still no luck

Try spraying some silicone and see if it will slide in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can get the wheel in the carrier no issues but I can’t do the bolts up the bolts are either too short or the tyre/wheel to wide or the cavity smaller that other (last one obviously can’t be)

I can get the wheel in the carrier no issues but I can’t do the bolts up the bolts are either too short or the tyre/wheel to wide or the cavity smaller that other (last one obviously can’t be)

I’m not familiar with the sport pack as I have a Transporter based van, but using 1 bar pressure and silicon I was able to fit a 235/65R17 Falken Wildpeak AT. It was a tight fit and I used a spare floor jack to help fit it in. I haven’t had to use it yet, but would default to road side assistance if available and let them struggle to pull it out.

There’s a 90.5mm locking bolt available on eBay that might work?

Very timely as just ordered a same sized spare and a carrier too.

There’s a 90.5mm locking bolt available on eBay that might work?

Very timely as just ordered a same sized spare and a carrier too.
Yep I think this is my issue I have a 52mm security bolt and a 58mm bolt with the safety lugs (the perm one) I feel both are too short I just need someone to confirm this is right but a good start would be to get one of those 90mm security bolts I think and that would all make sense as to why you also need this black spacers that go over the bolts. I’m struggling to find a longer than 58mm fixed bolt anywhere at the moment.

To make matters worse the 58mm fixed bolt is now in the van so I need to get it off some how suspect I will have to cut it off and screw it in so it pops out the other side

Yep I think this is my issue I have a 52mm security bolt and a 58mm bolt with the safety lugs (the perm one) I feel both are too short I just need someone to confirm this is right but a good start would be to get one of those 90mm security bolts I think and that would all make sense as to why you also need this black spacers that go over the bolts. I’m struggling to find a longer than 58mm fixed bolt anywhere at the moment.

To make matters worse the 58mm fixed bolt is now in the van so I need to get it off some how suspect I will have to cut it off and screw it in so it pops out the other side

It’s likely my mechanic used longer bolts. I can’t recall. No matter the length you want the bolts to grab at least 5-7 threads.

Yep agree these don’t grab at all

I always spray some ACF 50 anti corrosion spray every 6 months on the bolts too. The worst is to find out they’ve corroded and rusted when you need to loosen them.

Available on Amazon and others depending on location.

What's the idea behind the fixed perm bolt. I think I remember somebody putting one together incorrectly and talking about a bolt that wouldn't come out.

I have 235/55 17 tyres (inc spare) and the bolts for my spare wheel carrier are about 90mm long from the factory, plus 2 x spacers. I think you need longer bolts.

Here‘s the VW part number for the 90mm long security bolt - ZGB 701 071 592

I don’t have the part number for the longer captive bolt.

I have 235/55 17 tyres (inc spare) and the bolts for my spare wheel carrier are about 90mm long from the factory, plus 2 x spacers. I think you need longer bolts.

You could just use a plain non- captive bolt or 2 90mm security bolts as long as the L hand one is only slackened off to allow the carrier to slide sideways.

You could just use a plain non- captive bolt or 2 90mm security bolts as long as the L hand one is only slackened off to allow the carrier to slide sideways.
Actually, that is a very very good idea. When the tyre centre took my spare wheel out, the tyre fouled on the captive bolt - even with the bolt wound back up it still protruded due to the long spacer that’s held captive on the captive bolt. They ended up having to put some wood under the rear tyres to raise the rear of the van to allow clearance.

A second security bolt to replace the captive one would be the perfect solution as when the bolt is removed the spacer can also be removed and wheel would come out easily - thanks @WelshGas

Edit: I’m going to file off the existing captive bolt’s “wings” to enable it to be removed like a normal bolt. I only need the one security bolt.

Thank you, I have the 90.5mm security bolt in order now as you say the captive 90mm bolts seems no where to be found so will order a second security one I think it’s unlikely to ever fall out but suppose it’s possible to drill a small hole through it at the end and have a small split pin in there but seems a lot of effort.

Big thanks everyone love this forum and being a. Cali owner

Summary is if you have a Cali T6.1 possibly all variations and want to fit a 235 width 17” wheel underneath you need 90mm bolts ideally one security bolt and one captive bolt, the later seems no where to be found so at your own risk use two security bolts instead. Not forgetting the stupidly expensive (for what they are) spacers

Big thanks everyone love this forum and being a. Cali owner

Summary is if you have a Cali T6.1 possibly all variations and want to fit a 235 width 17” wheel underneath you need 90mm bolts ideally one security bolt and one captive bolt, the later seems no where to be found so at your own risk use two security bolts instead. Not forgetting the stupidly expensive (for what they are) spacers
Superglue a nut on the end of the captive bolt?

Thank you, I have the 90.5mm security bolt in order now as you say the captive 90mm bolts seems no where to be found so will order a second security one I think it’s unlikely to ever fall out but suppose it’s possible to drill a small hole through it at the end and have a small split pin in there but seems a lot of effort.
Can you share the the listing for the 90.5mm bolt, I can't find it.

Do have the spacers?

This supplier might sort your problem as they say to contact for clarification of parts

I’m avoiding that seller it’s were I got my carrier from took over 2 weeks to arrive and was very rude when I message them. I’m going to make my own have some good sized tube and an angle grinder

Back