Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Spare wheel removal with tow bar in place- Impossible!

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
Sadly we got a puncture today.

Found it impossible to get the (full size) spare out from under the van due to the detachable tow bar being in place. It may have been just the 'lie of the land' but had to remove the tow bar to solve it. Also I couldn't see if the rest of the carrier would 'un-hook' to drop it out.

So... for future reference.

I will be carrying a can of foam if I'm towing, as well as the spare, just in case I can't get the load off & remove the bar :headwall

Had the puncture repaired today, & even the lads at the tyre garage were cursing trying to get the spare back in the carrier without the tow bar attached.
They resorted to jacking the back end back up as the wheel/tyre just kept fouling the 13pin socket whatever they did.
Their comments included 'these T5's are all the bl@@dy same, a right pain in the....' When it comes to the spare!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

They are known for being a pig to remove even without towbar fitted.

I will be carrying a can of foam if I'm towing

Be aware that having used this stuff tyre fitters may not want or be able to repair the tyre. Their cement used not to stick to the tyre once goo had been used.
May be worth talking to tyre place first.

Andy said:
They are known for being a pig to remove even without towbar fitted.

I will be carrying a can of foam if I'm towing

Be aware that having used this stuff tyre fitters may not want or be able to repair the tyre. Their cement used not to stick to the tyre once goo had been used.
May be worth talking to tyre place first.

I am aware of this, however If I don't have the option of getting the trailer off safely, or it's dark/peeing it down I will happily pay for a new tyre rather than fight the spare wheel carrier ;)

No worries, just thought I'd make sure you were aware so you don't get a shock when tyre fitter tells you that you need a new tyre.

Back