Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed limit display

R

R & A

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, I think this has been in another thread but I have got so bogged down looking I am just going to ask! When you are driving along, with no sat nav activated, is there somewhere on the infotainment display or dash that shows you the speed limit of the road you are driving on. This seems a fairly basic bit of info and it has been on previous cars and VW’s I have owned not that that is helping me work this out?! Is this the traffic sign recognition and if so how do you turn it on??? Help anyone please !

It is (Dynamic Road Sign Display) but you don’t say what Cali you have so hard to know if it’s an option on yours. We just use Waze so never really use the in built one. It’s in the options menu to switch on and off.

IMG_9207.jpeg

Optional extra, and from talking to others over the years, not often spec'd. We have it on our Grand California (our first vehicle to have it) It's useful, but arguably i'd say "if you dont have satnav speed available, you can know the speedlimit the old fashioned way with road type, lamp posts, common sense etc".

It is (Dynamic Road Sign Display) but you don’t say what Cali you have so hard to know if it’s an option on yours. We just use Waze so never really use the in built one. It’s in the options menu to switch on and off.

View attachment 127762
Thank you for coming back to me, we have the ocean 6.1

Thank you for coming back to me, we have the ocean 6.1
As @CamperFam says, depends if it was specced on your vehicle. If it’s not in the menu with other driving aids then I’d say not. Did you spec it or is it a used Cali?

We have it on ours. Can also select visual or audio/visual warnings if going over speed. Useful to have.

I also have a 2016 Honda Jazz EX Standard on that and it is worth a miniscule amount of a Cali.

You don’t need to have the Dynamic Road Sign Display option to have the speed limit displayed on the infotainment display.

If you switch to the map view, the speed limit will be displayed there even if you’re not using the sat nav. You can also have it displayed in a widget on the home view of the infotainment display if your prefer.

The speed limit displayed will be the one from the map data. If there are temporary speed limit changes because of road works, the speed limit displayed will be wrong. But generally; it will be correct.

Incidentally, the feature where the van beeps if you exceed the speed limit by X km/h or Xmph is also available even if you don’t have the Dynamic Road Sign Display option (it uses the speed limit from the map).

Don't rely on either dynamic map speed data or road sign reading software, it isn't a defence against doing 36 in a 30 in Nottinghamshire! Neither is having the car driving itself, ultimately the idiot behind the wheel is still culpable, there is a section of the M6 that had roadworks 2 years ago that my car slows down for even though the roadworks aren't there!

As @CamperFam says, depends if it was specced on your vehicle. If it’s not in the menu with other driving aids then I’d say not. Did you spec it or is it a used Cali?
Ah ok, so it is a new van but we bought it from stock so we didn’t spec it ourselves….clears that up! Thank you!

You don’t need to have the Dynamic Road Sign Display option to have the speed limit displayed on the infotainment display.

If you switch to the map view, the speed limit will be displayed there even if you’re not using the sat nav. You can also have it displayed in a widget on the home view of the infotainment display if your prefer.

The speed limit displayed will be the one from the map data. If there are temporary speed limit changes because of road works, the speed limit displayed will be wrong. But generally; it will be correct.

Incidentally, the feature where the van beeps if you exceed the speed limit by X km/h or Xmph is also available even if you don’t have the Dynamic Road Sign Display option (it uses the speed limit from the map).
This is exactly what I have been trying to find! When I have the map on, not for navigation, just as a display, be it from the built in VW map or via my phone - google or imaps, nothing seems to show it. Where on the map view should it be and do I need to switch a toggle on somewhere. How do you get it to display in a widget on the home view of the infotainment display? Thank you

This is exactly what I have been trying to find! When I have the map on, not for navigation, just as a display, be it from the built in VW map or via my phone - google or imaps, nothing seems to show it. Where on the map view should it be and do I need to switch a toggle on somewhere. How do you get it to display in a widget on the home view of the infotainment display? Thank you
Quite a lot of questions which would be cleared up by reading the manual on setting your infotainment system and screens.

Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but just wondering about your comment above (highlighted red) about having a widget?? How is this achieved?

Apologies for resurrecting an old post, but just wondering about your comment above (highlighted red) about having a widget?? How is this achieved?
Easiest to check out the manual if unsure but it's part of the digital dash personalisation you can do in the settings from the main unit.

If you tap the Home button, you’ll see the Home Screen widgets:

B7619D44-D60E-4A39-A795-7EF969C04357.jpeg
There are two Home Screens so tap the Home button again to see the second one.

The widget displaying “There are no road signs available” is where the speed limit would be displayed if I was driving.

Tap and hold any widget to change what they display.