Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waze: Speed limit display.

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi,
When using Waze I am having problems with the speed limit display on the 6.33 screen being totally covered by the direction information box. I have not found anything in settings etc to see if I can move or make this info overlay smaller.
It does cover not only the speed limit displayed but a fair bit of the map too.
I am using iPhone 8.

Any help much appreciated.... Thank you.

Hmm,

Speed limit displays fine on mine using Waze, but I have an aftermarket Kenwood.

Can’t imagine the screen ratio is any different though so shouldn’t be a problem.

Can you post a picture?

Hmm,

Speed limit displays fine on mine using Waze, but I have an aftermarket Kenwood.

Can’t imagine the screen ratio is any different though so shouldn’t be a problem.

Can you post a picture?

Will do..... Thanks

We have the same issue in V's Seat Ibiza, waze works great but it doesnt show the speedo and the road labels cover up the map sometimes getting in the way of the information.

You can see the limit but you can't see the speed you are going as you can on the phone on it's own.

It's early days so I'm sure it will get corrected.

Last edited:
Which side is your
We have the same issue in V's Seat Ibiza, waze works great but it doesnt show the speedo and the road labels cover up the map sometimes getting in the way of the information.

It's early days so I'm sure it will get corrected.

Hey Matt,

You have to turn the speedo on in the phone settings, it’s not on by default.

It is already enabled it just doesn't show up for some reason, works fine in standalone mode.

Here’s my settings attached, just in case

FC8753FE-1626-4E95-90F2-36C53626AE21.png

Mine is the same except it shows at speed limit.

What shows at speed limit?

I’m not sure I’ve seen a speed alert actually. I’ve set the speedo to always display. Perhaps this could be the issue?

Hmm,

Can you post a picture?

Hi Reserves,
Just tried to do piccy, but I have to be on route and driving for the speed limit to display. Have to go out now but will do at earliest possibility.

For info.
When driving with Waze on screen and no route selected speed display is there. Also I get the little peeps when going over the limit.
When route selected and driving the direction window covers the speed limit display. A close look did just show the edge of the limit display underneath. The little peeps operated as normal.
The direction box is definitely lying over the top of the speed indicator.

As Matt has said its early days with app connect and some of the apps.
I will check out the Waze forum later and maybe raise a bug there if it’s not already mentioned.

Thanks for suggestions from all....

Hi Reserves,
Just tried to do piccy, but I have to be on route and driving for the speed limit to display. Have to go out now but will do at earliest possibility.

For info.
When driving with Waze on screen and no route selected speed display is there. Also I get the little peeps when going over the limit.
When route selected and driving the direction window covers the speed limit display. A close look did just show the edge of the limit display underneath. The little peeps operated as normal.
The direction box is definitely lying over the top of the speed indicator.

As Matt has said its early days with app connect and some of the apps.
I will check out the Waze forum later and maybe raise a bug there if it’s not already mentioned.

Thanks for suggestions from all....

I tested this last night, it’s a bug. With CarPlay you can set the system for right or left hand drive, when this has been done the ‘home’ button and shortcuts appear either on the left or the right for was of access to the driver.

36067BED-DC40-44ED-AB25-AE6D47BE6D58.jpeg

577F9797-A1C9-492F-9556-7F4F97469F79.jpeg

The bug with Waze is that when CarPlay is set for right hand drive the navigation directions move to the right, closer to the driver, however the speed display doesn’t move and gets covered by the directions.

I’m not sure if you can switch this on the VW units or not but until Waze fix it setting CarPlay to LHD will resolve the issue.

I tested this last night, it’s a bug. With CarPlay you can set the system for right or left hand drive, when this has been done the ‘home’ button and shortcuts appear either on the left or the right for was of access to the driver.

View attachment 38804

View attachment 38805

The bug with Waze is that when CarPlay is set for right hand drive the navigation directions move to the right, however the speed display doesn’t move and gets covered by the directions.

Hi Reserves... Well done.
Crikey Moses! You must have spent some time on that. I am hoping this is going to be the same with app connect too. Thank you.

I spent a while myself looking all over Waze and for posts etc, did not think of looking at the interface settings.
I will try and make time and have a play myself today.

I did find a feed back page to the author of Waze software where someone has raised the exact issue. Also some requests have been put in to be able to have the ability to adjust the size of the information boxes.

Once again, thanks to all for their input.....

Hi Reserves... Well done.
Crikey Moses! You must have spent some time on that. I am hoping this is going to be the same with app connect too. Thank you.

I spent a while myself looking all over Waze and for posts etc, did not think of looking at the interface settings.
I will try and make time and have a play myself today.

I did find a feed back page to the author of Waze software where someone has raised the exact issue. Also some requests have been put in to be able to have the ability to adjust the size of the information boxes.

Once again, thanks to all for their input.....

Please excuse my error above where I hoped that the same is with app connect. Of course it will as they are one and the same.
Sorry, I hope this did not add any further confusion
I had spent that much time researching I think I may have blown a head fuse.

Once again.... Thanks to all.

Please excuse my error above where I hoped that the same is with app connect. Of course it will as they are one and the same.
Sorry, I hope this did not add any further confusion
I had spent that much time researching I think I may have blown a head fuse.

Once again.... Thanks to all.

It’ll be the same however I’m not sure if you can switch the settings on the VW unit from RHD to LHD, my guess would be that it can’t be done without some kind of coding.

With both my Kenwood and Pioneer it’s available in the units settings, I’m guessing as these units are sold all over Europe.

It’ll be the same however I’m not sure if you can switch the settings on the VW unit from RHD to LHD, my guess would be that it can’t be done without some kind of coding.

With both my Kenwood and Pioneer it’s available in the units settings, I’m guessing as these units are sold all over Europe.

Good point....

Hi All,
What I thought may have been a simple oversight on my behalf to fix this does seem to be a bit deeper than a box tick.
I have found other areas over the net with similar issues.

I have submitted a bug report to Waze and hopefully sorted soon.

I will update thread as soon as I see any changes...

Thanks to all for help and suggestions.....

What radio do you have in your Cali @Shadrack and would you recommend it? Now Waze is available Im quite tempted by a Carplay setup. :)

What radio do you have in your Cali @Shadrack and would you recommend it? Now Waze is available Im quite tempted by a Carplay setup. :)

Hi Matt,
I bought Cali in 2016 and at the time I upgraded the radio to the ‘composition Media Radio With 6.33 Touch Screen’
Also on the order was a blue tooth handsfree without coupling box and 2 usb interfaces.
When purchasing I told sales chap that I wanted to run CarPlay etc within Cali and those extra bits were required, (I am not so sure if both needed now).
Please forgive me for not knowing the stock numbers of these units. It’s something I have yet to get to grips with.

Now I know there are different views and thoughts on the different media systems.
I set off from the off with no intention of buying the full blown Sat nav system at such a cost.

Now since the introduction of CarPlay and Android auto. The amount of apps that are available with their continuous development for me not to go this route was a no brainer.
I believe the inbuilt satnavs as an additional cost at purchase time have had their day.

I think it was you that said, “early days” Matt. There is this minor bug at the moment on Waze and more than likely will be resolved in a month or so. But also you have Apple maps and google maps. Google maps as I have said in another thread although used mostly live with me, can have the latest maps downloaded and stored for when times of no signal. Also with CarPlay etc you have the additional features such as music, messaging with new ones being developed as we speak.
I personally like google maps, but warming to Waze as we speak.

Now I know this route is not for everyone, it’s the one I am happy with. There will be those that like the factory supplied units. The Kenwoods and Pioneers. Even those that still get pleasure of opening up a bloody great map across the steering wheel in the middle of a roundabout in the centre of Milan.
Everyone to their own.

Crikey Moses.. I have just reread my thread.. no I am not a sales person. Just enthusiastic regarding the new technology as it comes on board..

Yes Matt.... I would recommend.

Back