Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternate Speed Display

Cali Steve

Cali Steve

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, after spending the past 12 yrs with a large digital speed readout, it seems strange to go back to an 'old' style display for current speed.
Going through the various options available to display in the driver information display, i was chuffed to see an option for a digital alternate speed display. Trouble is its in km/h, which has limited value in the UK, has anyone figured out if this can be changed to mph?

image.jpeg

There is a way of doing it, from memory it needs someone to plug in the computer & set your van to being Australian not UK ,you can then display MPH & still have the option to change to KMH when you need it. there was a thread on it about 3 years ago.

As an everyday speedometer it won't be as easy to read as the dials due to the small size. I have had large digital speedometers in previous cars and see where you are coming from but you will soon get used to dials again.

I think the dials are badly designed - the spacing of the numbers is not consistent - the needle moves twice as far between 60 and 70mph as it does between 80 and 90mph.

I find the digital display is big enough & have done thousands of miles abroad using just that & you soon get used to it.

Hi, after spending the past 12 yrs with a large digital speed readout, it seems strange to go back to an 'old' style display for current speed.
Going through the various options available to display in the driver information display, i was chuffed to see an option for a digital alternate speed display. Trouble is its in km/h, which has limited value in the UK, has anyone figured out if this can be changed to mph?

View attachment 18364
It can be done - look at this thread
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/page-10#post-188130
This has a step-by-step description, however you do need to have access to OBD2 device - the thread is about Carista £31 + an app at £39.99p/a).

Thanks Stoneybroke for that info, do you know if changing the data using Carista would invalidate the warranty?
I wonder whether VW dealers would be prepared to make the necessary changes to get the MPH display?
I must admit i like the large digital display as an option....

Thanks Stoneybroke for that info, do you know if changing the data using Carista would invalidate the warranty?
I wonder whether VW dealers would be prepared to make the necessary changes to get the MPH display?
I don't think this would be a warranty issue as all the settings are VWs own. If you have the kit and an app you could always put it back to the UK setting before any vists to the dealer.
Dealers may be a bit reticent, not to mention costly - it's more than the cost of a Carista just to get them to plug it in! The Carista can read fault codes too, by the way.

I asked at collection time and was told that it couldn't be done I suspect they mean they are not allowed.

... m e...

I'm amazed it can't be done. I live in the UK and my latest vw golf can.

I'm amazed it can't be done. I live in the UK and my latest vw golf can.
It can be done but the VW Dealerships will not alter the setup from the Factory setting. I didn't spec " Come Home "Headlight function. Dealership wouldn't switch that function On as it wasn't factory spec. Claristra did it, no problem.

I asked at collection time and was told that it couldn't be done I suspect they mean they are not allowed.

... m e...

The dealer told me that they couldn't turn off the PITA auto wiper function. Health a Safety :talktothehand
Couple of minutes with the Carista and it's done and the van and us are still in one piece six months later.

Using VCDS, it is possible to get a large UK digital speed on the MFD display, just like cars that have that. I had that on a loan T6 and found it to be great. This doesn't appear to be possible using Caristsa, which I've used on my current T6. The VCDS method does look to be quite involved.

Using VCDS, it is possible to get a large UK digital speed on the MFD display, just like cars that have that. I had that on a loan T6 and found it to be great. This doesn't appear to be possible using Caristsa, which I've used on my current T6. The VCDS method does look to be quite involved.
it is possible - just look up at post number 5 in this very thread. I also have it activated through Carista. 5min task with the app and plug in module.

You need to also untick 'Alt Display' in MFD settings menu. This gives new option in MFD of Digital Speed, tick that and all done. (Credit to post 4th Sept, 'Pauly' for that info.)

See https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/page-10#post-186236

it is possible - just look up at post number 5 in this very thread. I also have it activated through Carista. 5min task with the app and plug in module.

Thanks, CoboCali - you're right, it is possible, I should have worded that differently ... maybe it's just a smaller display than the large, easy-to-read VCDS change, I've not found the Carista change so useful and would still like to get the VCDS modification to this (Carista is more affordable for ad-hoc use).

You need to also untick 'Alt Display' in MFD settings menu. This gives new option in MFD of Digital Speed, tick that and all done. (Credit to post 4th Sept, 'Pauly' for that info.)

See https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/page-10#post-186236

Now I'm confused - it looks like this may be the same ... I have to go outside and try this now! No luck - I don't have either Alt Display and Digital Speed option. I probably need to run Carista again ... I have a bunch of options set but not all of them have taken, e.g., lock/unlock doors >5mph.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused - it looks like this may be the same ... I have to go outside and try this now! No luck - I don't have either Alt Display and Digital Speed option. I probably need to run Carista again ... I have a bunch of options set but not all of them have taken, e.g., lock/unlock doors >5mph.
Ok been a bit behind on this one as I was reluctant to make changes until I was confident as this Cali is on loan.
Using Carista which I have free as beta tester I just changed the region setting to Australia which gave the additional box of Alt Display in the MFD. Unticked that and selected the digital speed option and hey presto it works. Much nicer with the big digital display in MPH. Returned to normal and will change my replacement on Monday, thanks to those who did the testing.
Not made any other changes yet.

Mike

Carista delivered today, and after several searches, now have the MPH large display in the MFD. plus several other options switched on

Currently a tenner on Amazon with 1 months trial

@Loz , may have missed this in all my research - but what is the base reason why no one has been able to switch the large mph display on a UK spec van to kmph? As i understand, the EU spec vans can have the large display in kmph.

@Loz , may have missed this in all my research - but what is the base reason why no one has been able to switch the large mph display on a UK spec van to kmph? As i understand, the EU spec vans can have the large display in kmph.
After trying different countries in the programming its alway large mpg or nothing.
can you show me a picture of large kph?

After trying different countries in the programming its alway large mpg or nothing.
can you show me a picture of large kph?
Loz, I don't have one, but may be mistaken. Remember seeing it posted on one of the German forums. Let me check and get back on that.

Loz, I don't have one, but may be mistaken. Remember seeing it posted on one of the German forums. Let me check and get back on that.
If they have found it, they may have the advantage of translating the adaptions from German. They may also have different firmware in the BCU.
will be interesting if they have.

Back