Speed Limit

raynormor

raynormor

Ray
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all.

I appreciiate that this topic was discussed in April but I couldn't find a definitive reply (ie section 123 of the highway code) which by the way gives a limit of 2T for 30,60.70,70 and <7.5T for 30,50,60,70. yet google it and authoratative people including the Caravan Club say that <3.05T (which is us) the limits are the higher range. So my question is, where is the law that says the limits in the Caravan Club Motor Home Guide are right.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/2244 ... stions.pdf

Regards

Ray

When I was first looking to buy a California I looked into this as there was a lot of confusion about the Cali and speed limits with even the dealership which was pretty well informed compared to most saying it was 50,60,70. I found this from Devon and Cornwall Saftey Camera Partnership's website.

http://dcsafetycameras.org/documents/Na ... Limits.pdf

It says it's source is the Highway Code which in turn is combination of UK law and best practice.

It is enough for me to feel happy about a 60,70,70 speed limit for the Cali.

Hope it helps

Yeap ... Cali not classed as a commercial otherwise I would have as my business can :) lol

That weight limit of 3050kg could be a problem for owners of 4motion Calis, 2012 brochure lists it at 3080kg.

Possibly also worth noting that VW market the California as an Estate Car, I wonder if this has any bearing on it??

vmaxkiddy said:
That weight limit of 3050kg could be a problem for owners of 4motion Calis, 2012 brochure lists it at 3080kg.

This isn't actually an issue as the brochure lists "Gross weight" of 3080kg for a 4 motion. This includes 90% full fuel tank & 75kg for driver if you read the small print, which is actually what we would call MIRO (mass in running order in the UK).

The continentals vernacular on weights is different & this causes much confusion in brochure translation. What the true unladen figure for a 4motion is, is very difficult to judge/find, but simple maths assuming fuel at 1kg/l @72litres, it's going to be well under 3000kg.

This basically means that the CClub is correct on speed limits, as Cali's are registered as motorhomes with a Max Gross <3500kg, not car derived vans etc.

Speed limits are 60/70/70mph for all solo Cali's (i.e. not towing).