Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stopover location in France

pretty bad parents too if their 11/8yr olds are drinking. Having never been robbed in a Motorhome, I’d like to think you’d wake up if someone was to jimmy the lock and walk around the Motorhome..

Just as an aside, what about the Chadwick case where they were given blood tests which highlighted CO poisoning? Or does that come from wine too?

I should put a wee disclaimer here.. I’d rather gassing not be possible and deep sleep be the answer. Either way, the risk of robbery either through sleep/gas is the same. We have a dog so should push would be robbers to alternative easier targets. Having now done a wee bit of research I can see this is a looong going argument... essentially pick a side and hang on tight. Awaiting any info from my mate and family.... in the meantime, To suggest that someone just slept through is absolutely plausible, however to instantly assume that someone’s close friends are insurance fraudsters is f**kin ridiculous, and anyone doing that needs to give their head a shake, clearly some social skill issues.
There are definitely scrotes everywhere that would like to relieve you of your valuables. Although not impervious to crime, campsites are the safest and also other areas with fellow campers. Use common sense with regard to the area you choose and with the Cali locked whilst you sleep it is a more secure vehicle than a motorhome with a caravan style door. Enjoy your travels. :thumb

Last edited:
I must admit, if I was gassing someone in their motorhome, and basically they were unconscious for several hours I would rob more than a bag of clothes
This gassing story goes around every year !

Last edited:
No one said you were BSing, but you are calling me and my mates liars. I say again, thanks v much. I know f**k all about gas, but I do know my mates were robbed whilst they slept. I know they slept a looong time (over 12hours) and all cupboards were open, bag missing and door fucked when they woke... I know they aren’t lying and I know I’m not lying, again no reason to.

Lying and being mistaken are different things.

None of us can know much about the circumstances of your acquaintances’ robbery, but we can be pretty certain that gassing was not involved, however much the victim believes gassing to be involved, and whatever the French police might have said.

Great, we're off to France tomorrow and now it turns out we're going to be... GASSED :eek:. But we'll be sleeping with our coronavirus masks on this time, so we should be fine.

:upsidedown

Bon Voyage. Have you decided on a route, or is it point and go?

Bon Voyage. Have you decided on a route, or is it point and go?

Heading down to northern Italy where we're staying with friends a couple of days. I'd like to drive the Route Napoleon (Grenoble-Antibes) on the way down I think. Then will mosey back - we usually look at what the weather forecast says a few days ahead and aim accordingly. Mrs VD has the casting vote, and the map (I do get consulted, next in line after the dog).

Heading down to northern Italy where we're staying with friends a couple of days. I'd like to drive the Route Napoleon (Grenoble-Antibes) on the way down I think. Then will mosey back - we usually look at what the weather forecast says a few days ahead and aim accordingly. Mrs VD has the casting vote, and the map (I do get consulted, next in line after the dog).
Make sure you have your face coverings handy, mandatory in all public spaces from 2400hrs tonight, in France, and I'm sure the Gendarmerie will be on the lookout for tourists.
Have a good trip.

Make sure you have your face coverings handy, mandatory in all public spaces from 2400hrs tonight, in France, and I'm sure the Gendarmerie will be on the lookout for tourists.
Have a good trip.
Enclosed public spaces.

Thanks. Being France it probably has to be a high-visibility face covering with built-in breathalyser/motorhome gassing detector combo device kept within reach of the driver's seat but with no penalty set for non-compliance so only conformist Brits will bother to carry them. But I'm sure you'll be able to buy them at Eurotunnel Folkestone terminal as part of the "Enhanced Continental Travel Kit" for £89.50.

On the packing front, Mrs VD has been more exercised this afternoon checking I've packed enough gin.

Thanks. Being France it probably has to be a high-visibility face covering with built-in breathalyser/motorhome gassing detector combo device kept within reach of the driver's seat but with no penalty set for non-compliance so only conformist Brits will bother to carry them. But I'm sure you'll be able to buy them at Eurotunnel Folkestone terminal as part of the "Enhanced Continental Travel Kit" for £89.50.

On the packing front, Mrs VD has been more exercised this afternoon checking I've packed enough gin.

Surely only two bottles needed before re-stocking en route?

Funny you should say that, we are off on Thursday to France and had to Google if Carrefour's sold tonic water. :D

Joking apart, the fine for not wearing a mask is 135 euro, and is enforced. I saw two people refused entry to shops today, because they had no mask...

Joking apart, the fine for not wearing a mask is 135 euro, and is enforced. I saw two people refused entry to shops today, because they had no mask...
can you post a link for the fine in france?

10 € fine in germany
if you aint got a mask you can't go into a shop, easy, no mask, no shop.
or pub or restaurant.

i would like to see where the french are fining 135€ though, cos when
i was in france last week it looked a bit slack, i think its only us germans
sticking to the rules.

can you post a link for the fine in france?

10 € fine in germany
if you aint got a mask you can't go into a shop, easy, no mask, no shop.
or pub or restaurant.

i would like to see where the french are fining 135€ though, cos when
i was in france last week it looked a bit slack, i think its only us germans
sticking to the rules.
Rules only came in yesterday.

Shops are being extremely strict out here. The local bus service main stop have staff enforcing the mask rule, although coming back into town tonight on the bus the security man or driver didn’t seem that bothered about the folk not wearing the masks.

Mask wearing while driving in a family group is not required, however sharing a car with someone outside your family group I believe masks are “advised” not enforced but with the gendarmerie you never know.
so keep a mask handy

Hi All,

We have just booked a week+ camper trip to Dordogne end Aug. Whilst we want to prolong our holiday and are aware of the short timeframe, we know we will probs need a stop over enroute from Chunnel, especially as we have 2 kids and a dog. Could anyone recommend a decent (safe) stop over enroute?

This wil be the first trip outside of UK in our Cali, so a touch green if you will. A friend of mine took his family and motorhome to French alps a couple years ago, pulled over in a layby instead of doing the trip in a one-er. Some ********s decded to target them and gassed him and his family as they slept, they got a lot of stuff nicked as they slept off the CO. No long term health concerns, but Police were not surprised and advised it happens a lot in France.

So...... we are looking for somewhere a tad safer :)

Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Danny
Great little site 20 k north of Le Mans off A28, Fresney Sur Sarth, cheap as chips set by a river, village a walk up the hill and super markets near.

Oh dear ... this conversation which promised so much useful info has gone a bit off piste !

Hi All,

We have just booked a week+ camper trip to Dordogne end Aug. Whilst we want to prolong our holiday and are aware of the short timeframe, we know we will probs need a stop over enroute from Chunnel, especially as we have 2 kids and a dog. Could anyone recommend a decent (safe) stop over enroute?

This wil be the first trip outside of UK in our Cali, so a touch green if you will. A friend of mine took his family and motorhome to French alps a couple years ago, pulled over in a layby instead of doing the trip in a one-er. Some ********s decded to target them and gassed him and his family as they slept, they got a lot of stuff nicked as they slept off the CO. No long term health concerns, but Police were not surprised and advised it happens a lot in France.

Thanks

Danny
Hi, I live and have traveled a lot in France... no problem with the peage services. Think the gas story is a bit ott. Remember the daily mail doing a bit about gas and robbery...says it all!!!

Hi All,

Thanks

Danny

Probably not on the way to Dordogne but a great stop over 6 or so hours from the channel I’d mumicipal camping in Langres. Not far from autoroute, on the town walls, cheap 13 euros in March, close shops etc.

On autoroute the service stations seem safe. Park within easy site of the building. Can be noisy at night though with lorriesarriving andleaving. Sleep downstairs !

Hi All,

Thanks

Danny
We’ve not been to France since 2017, however we used a fair amount of Aires over 6 wks and were not disappointed. If you see any English or Dutch plates in an Aire, say hi and have a chat. It maybe that they’ve used that Aire before and they’ll give you a heads up... but enjoy, if it’s just an overnighter you're after, you can’t go wrong, especially if it looks busy...