Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stopover location in France

Depending on timing, Aire de la Baie de Somme is about an hour from the tunnel on the A16. It’s a good one as there is plenty of outdoor space and a picnic area where you can stay the night in relative peace.

If you fancy visiting Futuroscope in Poitiers you will find a special camping car park to stay the night. I think it was only about €6 but that was a couple if years ago. We have also stayed outside of Tours and Borges.

can you post a link for the fine in france?

10 € fine in germany
if you aint got a mask you can't go into a shop, easy, no mask, no shop.
or pub or restaurant.

i would like to see where the french are fining 135€ though, cos when
i was in france last week it looked a bit slack, i think its only us germans
sticking to the rules.
I believe the fine on the Straßenbahn or the U-Bahn by me is about 50€. shops and so might be a bit less. But I don’t bother paying attention, as it’s just easier to wear my mask.

Heading down to northern Italy where we're staying with friends a couple of days. I'd like to drive the Route Napoleon (Grenoble-Antibes) on the way down I think. Then will mosey back - we usually look at what the weather forecast says a few days ahead and aim accordingly. Mrs VD has the casting vote, and the map (I do get consulted, next in line after the dog).
Nice route that, hope your enjoying it.

Back on Topic.

Canyon if we are on a Peage we will happily stop on a aire with a service station as close to the garage as possible. We have stayed on aires with no garage without incident but not for sometime.

We can usually find a site close to where we are without too much trouble. I have never booked a site in Europe in over 30 years of going there.

Hi All,

We have just booked a week+ camper trip to Dordogne end Aug. Whilst we want to prolong our holiday and are aware of the short timeframe, we know we will probs need a stop over enroute from Chunnel, especially as we have 2 kids and a dog. Could anyone recommend a decent (safe) stop over enroute?

This wil be the first trip outside of UK in our Cali, so a touch green if you will. A friend of mine took his family and motorhome to French alps a couple years ago, pulled over in a layby instead of doing the trip in a one-er. Some ********s decded to target them and gassed him and his family as they slept, they got a lot of stuff nicked as they slept off the CO. No long term health concerns, but Police were not surprised and advised it happens a lot in France.

So...... we are looking for somewhere a tad safer :)

Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Danny
I sleep in the roof that is well ventilated. When I get out IF this happens to me, someone will get hurt, and badly......

We happily stay on on aires on the peage when transiting France. Prefer those with a fuel station if only because they tend to have proper Wcs rather than a pair of footprints next to a hole in the ground.

At this time of year normally its a case of park wherever you can find a space big enough, whether that is in a parking space, on the grass, pavements or we have even seen people parked between the pumps in the fuel station. No-one bats an eyelid.

Last week though we were one of only two vehicles parked up of the night. The Peage is empty, the services are empty , you will not have any trouble finding anywhere to stop. It looks like everyone else is staying at home at the moment.

All the fuel stations / shops seem to have a one way system signposted, go in through the front door, pay & exit out the back.

The only downside is diesel at 1.50+

A little late but Camping Olivet near Orleans is a wonderful municipal site c260 miles from Calais. We're also going to the Dordogne end August, Covid willing.

Depending on timing, Aire de la Baie de Somme is about an hour from the tunnel on the A16. It’s a good one as there is plenty of outdoor space and a picnic area where you can stay the night in relative peace.

That’s the Shell one with the wind turbine. We’ve stayed at that one many times. It’s always packed with overnighters and there’s a few quiet parking cul de sacs past the main car park.

For me, beeing fumigated on your holliday is a myth (but everyone can have their own opinion about it). You can however get robbed everywhere... but don't focus on that; just pay attention, use your common sense and let enjoyment be a priority. Having this said, we use park4night and always found a nice campsite (municipale or other) or a good camper stopover for the nicht. Péages are good if you want to cover a long stretch quickly but very boring compared to an alternative route and I would never sleep there at night: Almost every village has a camper place and this is so much nicer and more pleasant than at a gas station.
The Dordogne is a beautiful region, have fun!
Greetings