Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Split awning!!

biker-linz

biker-linz

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone,

Loving our new Cali. Just about to head off for the yearly pilgrimage to Hay Festival (if you're there, please say hi, we are at outdoorsathay). First time in the van vs a bell tent, can't wait.

And then our awning split; similar to others, straight along the seam in the afternoon sunshine. It seems an entirely bonkers design!

Cue panic (you can't even fold it away without the material providing the pulling force).

For those who encounter this, a friend and I were able to salvage the situation by taking the awning sheet out at the van end, pulling the awning sheet completely apart at the seam, cutting off the other seam with the dowling (that holds the awning in at the van end), folding the newly split end over the dowling and reinserting the whole thing (sorry if I'm not explaining it well), so now there is no seam at all. It works great! Although the awning is now a bit shorter, at least it can't split. Holiday rescued!!

We were lucky and saw ours about to split in the heat.
Put some good quality silver gaffer tape on it and don't wind it out much past the tape. It has held for many years now.

Like yourselves we lost a tiny bit of extension but it has not bothered us.

Hi everyone,

Loving our new Cali. Just about to head off for the yearly pilgrimage to Hay Festival (if you're there, please say hi, we are at outdoorsathay). First time in the van vs a bell tent, can't wait.

And then our awning split; similar to others, straight along the seam in the afternoon sunshine. It seems an entirely bonkers design!

Cue panic (you can't even fold it away without the material providing the pulling force).

For those who encounter this, a friend and I were able to salvage the situation by taking the awning sheet out at the van end, pulling the awning sheet completely apart at the seam, cutting off the other seam with the dowling (that holds the awning in at the van end), folding the newly split end over the dowling and reinserting the whole thing (sorry if I'm not explaining it well), so now there is no seam at all. It works great! Although the awning is now a bit shorter, at least it can't split. Holiday rescued!!
please fill in vehicle in your profile:it is still looking to buy

Back