Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Split

Ours split completely along the length of the seam in the mini heatwave two weeks ago. I took the material off and glued it back together with Stormsure. I’m not sure if the repair will last but I’m hopeful as it stuck better than I expected. Cost was £7.10 for a 15g tube on Amazon, a lot less than a new canopy.
One other thing, the awning arms are springloaded and when you take the material away they pop out very quickly. Had to use bungees and cable ties to hold the arms in while the glue was setting.
I am really not the most practical man - I need to make a temporary repair along mine too whilst I wait for a replacement sheet. Is there a video anywhere that shows how to remove and replace the awning sheet anywhere please?

Ours split completely along the length of the seam in the mini heatwave two weeks ago. I took the material off and glued it back together with Stormsure. I’m not sure if the repair will last but I’m hopeful as it stuck better than I expected. Cost was £7.10 for a 15g tube on Amazon, a lot less than a new canopy.
One other thing, the awning arms are springloaded and when you take the material away they pop out very quickly. Had to use bungees and cable ties to hold the arms in while the glue was setting.
You won’t go wrong With Stormsure. It’s probably even better than the original “Adhesive” that VW mistakenly used on the original 2 piece awning. When I Say Volkswagen the Awning May not have been made by them but it was made the Their specification and sold on their vehicles so it’s a Volkswagen part. They only replaced it with one piece when the originals fell apart.

You won’t go wrong With Stormsure. It’s probably even better than the original “Adhesive” that VW mistakenly used on the original 2 piece awning. When I Say Volkswagen the Awning May not have been made by them but it was made the Their specification and sold on their vehicles so it’s a Volkswagen part. They only replaced it with one piece when the originals fell apart.
Incorrect. The awnings made by Thule/Omnistor were also made in 2 parts some years ago and they supply VW. There is no separate VW specification, apart from the absence of the Thule sticker.
They also changed a few years ago to 1 piece material.

I am really not the most practical man - I need to make a temporary repair along mine too whilst I wait for a replacement sheet. Is there a video anywhere that shows how to remove and replace the awning sheet anywhere please?
I couldn’t find a video and I’m not the most practical either but it wasn't that difficult, more awkward. Just make sure you have plenty of space as once the material is removed the arms see to take on a life of their own !
I used the spare part diagram in the club shop to help me figure out which bits to remove. It can be done with a screwdriver and I’d recommend someone to help as well.

Having had our awning split I have since contacted VW who are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I spoke to the VW dealer and parts are on back order. I’m a little bit hamstrung as not only will VW not assist financially, we can’t get one anyway. Would anyone recommend another awning/ alternate method of fixing ?

thanks

Danny

Not sure what parts you are looking for, but if it's 'just' a problem of the fabric splitting, this post by @galtim a few days ago describes how they sourced replacement fabric. The end result looks really nice.

Thanks, that looks magic, I think I’d split my own awning to have some of those swells designs

Having had our awning split I have since contacted VW who are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I spoke to the VW dealer and parts are on back order. I’m a little bit hamstrung as not only will VW not assist financially, we can’t get one anyway. Would anyone recommend another awning/ alternate method of fixing ?

thanks

Danny
Forum shop?

thanks

Danny
Danny
Ours split into two complete parts along the seam. I bought a 15g tube of stormsure and glued it back together compressed between 2 lengths of wood. At the moment it’s holding ok.
If you want a new piece I think the club shop have them back in stock and there was also another fairly recent thread were someone had a bespoke piece made for around £200.

Thanks

I have raised the request with the shop, but I don’t suppose you know whether the fabric in the shop is a single piece or has the seam which likes to melt?

thanks
As far as I am aware Thule/Omnistor changed to a single piece awning a few years ago on all their range.

As far as I am aware Thule/Omnistor changed to a single piece awning a few years ago on all their range.
New awning purchased and in single piece with fetching stripey single piece fabric and fitting complete. was a bit of a faff with myself and missus but pretty sure we would give chuckle brothers a run for their money

Hi all

Ours has started to crease pretty badly on rolling back in whilst out here in France; not sure why but has anyone else experienced the same problem and is there an easy fix/adjustment that can be made? ‘just concerned that with continued use and with this problem it’ll inevitably split at some point.

Cheers

Hi all

Ours has started to crease pretty badly on rolling back in whilst out here in France; not sure why but has anyone else experienced the same problem and is there an easy fix/adjustment that can be made? ‘just concerned that with continued use and with this problem it’ll inevitably split at some point.

Cheers
Ours certainly doesn’t appear to go back in straight (it is a couple of mm out at the back). Do these awnings need a service once in a while - mine is 10yr old and does flap about a bit and doesn’t seem to tension particularly well?

Hi all

Cheers
That did happen to ours as well. Wind it right out. Then pull the spring-loaded arms together in the middle - I used a ratchet strap. This leaves the awning canvas loose. You can then roll it back up without the tension on the canvas which should enable you to rectify the creases. You'll need at least two people to do this and some steps for your assistant(s) to stand on. when you have rolled it back-in to the point where it picks up the arms you can release the strap holding the arms together and wind it the rest of the way in. Then wind it out / in a few times carefully and hopefully the creases will stay away.

Ours certainly doesn’t appear to go back in straight (it is a couple of mm out at the back). Do these awnings need a service once in a while - mine is 10yr old and does flap about a bit and doesn’t seem to tension particularly well?
Ours is certainly a few mm out. Which doesn't seem to be a problem. Tension is still good on outs though.

That did happen to ours as well. Wind it right out. Then pull the spring-loaded arms together in the middle - I used a ratchet strap. This leaves the awning canvas loose. You can then roll it back up without the tension on the canvas which should enable you to rectify the creases. You'll need at least two people to do this and some steps for your assistant(s) to stand on. when you have rolled it back-in to the point where it picks up the arms you can release the strap holding the arms together and wind it the rest of the way in. Then wind it out / in a few times carefully and hopefully the creases will stay away.
Many thanks for this DM…will give it a go and let you know how I get on

Spent a week in Austria when the temperature rose to 34C. The awning has split at the join, similar to others. A couple of other bits were starting to fail and we decided to invest in a new awning. Campervanbits don’t have any in stock. Does anyone know of another supplier of the factory fitted Thuli awning. I note that a Fiamma awning is considered to be a better awning but we have all the side panels for the Thuli version, so is therefore not an option. The other option is to either glue the join or obtain a new canvas. Glue?

Spent a week in Austria when the temperature rose to 34C. The awning has split at the join, similar to others. A couple of other bits were starting to fail and we decided to invest in a new awning. Campervanbits don’t have any in stock. Does anyone know of another supplier of the factory fitted Thuli awning. I note that a Fiamma awning is considered to be a better awning but we have all the side panels for the Thuli version, so is therefore not an option. The other option is to either glue the join or obtain a new canvas. Glue?

Try
www.roseawnings.co.uk

They have them in stock and offer fitting service.

Thank you Aztec camper.

Might be worth getting your order in quick, before the rush!

It does seem very odd to have the fabric for the awning in two bits. Must have been a job lot and cheaper! Unusually poor procurement by VW. Thule is a good name which has been tarnished by this cost saving error. The quality of the toggles to secure the legs in position are also of poor quality. All in all a bit of a failure for both VW and Thule.

It does seem very odd to have the fabric for the awning in two bits. Must have been a job lot and cheaper! Unusually poor procurement by VW. Thule is a good name which has been tarnished by this cost saving error. The quality of the toggles to secure the legs in position are also of poor quality. All in all a bit of a failure for both VW and Thule.
Is your awning a factory supplied awning or did you fit it yourself ?

what year is your T6 ?

Originally All Omnistor awnings were 2 piece, not just those sold to VW. Mines fine , still in 1 piece having survived 40c + in Italy on a number of occasions and the leg toggles still working fine after 8 yrs. Stays up in all but the nastiest of weather.
? Possibly user error ? Just saying. ;)